C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

I wonder if these really work as a theft deterrent

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 11:07 PM
Psychotron
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I wonder if these really work as a theft deterrent

From the Corvette Central catalog: "By locking the unbreakable Auto Shift-Lock around the automatic shifter, it's superior knuckle design denies access to the shifter release button making your Corvette completely undriveable.

Auto Shift-Lock features a hardened cast aluminum case, a heavy duty lock and tumbler and a case hardened steel lock pin."

Seems like a neat idea...
Old 07-09-2002, 11:12 PM
dmalhi1
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I wonder if these really work as a theft deterrent (OTCgrad)

yeah i've been contemplating whether to buy one of those things or one of those steering wheel doohickeys like the club.

any feedback on this?

Old 07-09-2002, 11:16 PM
GS 163
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

If a thief wants your car, theyre going to have it no matter how many clubs, alarms, etc. you have. :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 07-09-2002, 11:25 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I wonder if these really work as a theft deterrent (JPLT1)

I agree with JPLT1. From a former alarm installer, the best theft stopper is an alarm with ignition cutoff and a back up battery as well as a GPS tracking unit installed somewhere easily overlooked. Thieves will typically look at a car that is easier to steal if they can. Most thieves will skip our cars and go for parts cars like my grand cherokee or honda accords. Our cars are targets of kids who want joy rides, etc. They get thrashed and returned, not cut up. It can't hurt but it won't stop the determined thief. They bring the flatbed.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:38 PM
Psychotron
Pro

Default Re: I wonder if these really work as a theft deterrent (92TripleBlack)

Okay, barring the fact that any serious thief is going to get your car if they want it bad enough, and a little aluminum shifter lock ain't going to slow them down much, maybe I should re-phrase and ask: "I wonder if these really work as a joy-ride deterrent?" :D

Does anyone own one? They were on the 'new products' page in the catalog, so I'm just curious.

[Modified by OTCgrad, 9:42 PM 7/9/2002]
Old 07-09-2002, 11:57 PM
morphious
Race Director

I car theif will steal anything but the harder you make the better for you. My 2 cents.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:10 AM
redragtop
Instructor

If I was a thief looking to steal cars, I use a rollback wrecker. That's what they use when they repo them...
Old 07-10-2002, 12:36 AM
Knight Ryder
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Default Re: I wonder if these really work as a theft deterrent (dmalhi1)

yeah i've been contemplating whether to buy one of those things or one of those steering wheel doohickeys like the club.

any feedback on this?
Steering wheel club is USELESS!! A steering wheel is designed to "give" if you smack it in an accident, so most are made of a weak tube of metal surrounded by foam...
A hacksaw and 10 seconds later: a thief has cut through your steering wheel and removed the club. :(
Old 07-10-2002, 01:13 AM
dmalhi1
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I wonder if these really work as a theft deterrent (Knight Ryder)

ok so the schlub err club is a pos......

what about this lil **** blocker? :jester

Old 07-10-2002, 02:22 AM
GDP
Team Owner

Steering wheel club is USELESS!! A steering wheel is designed to "give" if you smack it in an accident, so most are made of a weak tube of metal surrounded by foam...
A hacksaw and 10 seconds later: a thief has cut through your steering wheel and removed the club. :(
It lowers your insurance.

Also, I think the shifter cover thing looks ugly as sin, and I don't want to contaminate my 'vette with ugliness. :conehead

[Modified by GDP, 12:26 AM 7/10/2002]
Old 07-10-2002, 11:41 AM
MaSTeRofDZaSTeR
Drifting

Location: "Drive like Hell, you'll get there faster." Tucson AZ
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed. The "CLUB" or "BILLY BATS" or any type of wheel lock system is ONLY to be used as a deterrent and only a moron would intend it as an ACTUAL security device. There really is nothing truly infallible these days and I don't think there ever will be. And as to hacking up the wheel to remove them......you don't even need to do that..........in NY back in the city me and my friends used to jack luxury cars and sports cars alike by simply removing the steering wheel at the column and having a spare to put on and take off before anyone even saw anything was goin on. And even these days many people don't realise how easy it is. YES I would definitely use the shifter lock as a deterrent OVER the Club ANYDAY of the friggin week. Even if the individual couldnt remove the club...they could still start your car and run it into a tree straight on or something before bailing. If they can't remove the shifter lock, they're not goin anywhere. Period. Keep in mind though...even the shifter can be removed with the wiser and more ingenious of criminals, but I would much rather be using that since its obviously more effective as a security device than the club and it's easy to to take on and off and not so big and fumbly. I'm planning on getting one definitely.......I have been for a while. BUT never use this as the ONLY thing............alarms would still be highly recommended and keep in mind that this may be a better deterrent, but it is still ONLY a deterrent. :cool:

[Modified by MaSTeRofDZaSTeR, 3:43 PM 7/10/2002]
Old 07-10-2002, 12:04 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Locks are for honest people.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:14 PM
Paul G
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kinda like the shift **** thing. Never had one but like the idea. I use a Club when I am parking my 88 in a strange place. Besides if my car gets jacked the club pays the deductible. (maybe) All of these things will just send a thief looking for an easier target. Hopefully yours wont be the easiest.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:21 PM
Kdrhpe
Racer

It may work as a deterrant if you don't mind hauling that thing all over the place. I don't know about you but I wouldn't want that thing sliding all over the trunk. Of course I don't know why they couldn't just cut the shifter right below that red block. I'm sure from there you could use the rod in the center of the shifter to depress the linkage normally connected to the button.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:22 PM
FASGLAS
Race Director

CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Default Re: I wonder if these really work as a theft deterrent (JPLT1)

JPLT1 said it all. If they want it, they WILL get it. Lojac works good IF the car is reported missing almost as soon as it's gone. The best insurance is just that...INSURANCE. :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 07-10-2002, 12:31 PM
DanielW
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08

Default Re: I wonder if these really work as a theft deterrent (FASGLAS)

Did anyone ever see that "sort of club" that goes under the breake pedal. So you can't start car in a manual and can't switch gears in an auto??? I think some NAscar driver was endorsing it.
Old 07-10-2002, 02:07 PM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

Default Re: I wonder if these really work as a theft deterrent (GDP)

Also, I think the shifter cover thing looks ugly as sin, and I don't want to contaminate my 'vette with ugliness. :conehead

[Modified by GDP, 12:26 AM 7/10/2002]
Yeah, make sure it's all pretty for the thief. :rolleyes:

Get notified of new replies

To I wonder if these really work as a theft deterrent

Old 07-10-2002, 02:40 PM
darkmercury
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks ok but only one thing... I agree about someone taking what they want even with protective devices installed!!!

Just think about it... its easier to dolley the rear and or front and drag the car away. No starting, shifting, driving, or keys needed! Scary but true and I see it used many time on accident scenes! :nonod:
Old 07-10-2002, 07:11 PM
Rick86
Burning Brakes

Default Re: I wonder if these really work as a theft deterrent (darkmercury)

This might be off topic, but this is how I look at it. If I lock my Vert then a thief has to rip the top to findout there was nothing of value left in the car and if I take the removeable face off my radio then what prevents the thief from vanalizing the radio with the attitude if I can't have it neither can you.

Someone posted those devices as joy-ride deterents, well then go ahead and **** them off with the club and have them key you car.

I feel there is no winning with joy-riders or thiefs. Saved my money on buying those deterents to pay my insurance deductable. :boxing
Old 07-12-2002, 12:03 AM
eddieL98
Pro

Default Re: I wonder if these really work as a theft deterrent (Rick86)

My VATS keeps them from steal'n the car :lol: hell it keeps me from starting sometime and i have the keys too it :jester

Quick Reply: I wonder if these really work as a theft deterrent