Old 01-16-2014, 11:52 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
Hey Joe, at least there made in Mexico and not China.......WW

Check out this link....

http://izismile.com/2013/06/26/how_s...na_8_pics.html
I was going to say, "is that supposed to make me feel better", but after seeing the pics, and it sad to say, it makes me feel a whole lot better!
Old 01-16-2014, 02:34 PM
Larrye
LarryE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't know if I really want to jump in to this but............

At the dealer level GM pushes a Good/Better/Best approach on parts.

Best = OE original equipment replacements, of which many carry AC-Delco branding along with the OE GM part number.

Better = A high quality aftermarket part, comparable to the highest quality part that may be available at NAPA, CARQUEST, etc. They still carry a traditional GM number, but are not considered an OE replacement part. In most cases they are less expensive than the OE "Best" part, but not considerably so. This line is commonly called the "Professional" line.

Good = A cheaper made, aftermarket part. This is the "All Makes, All Models" line referenced above. In my experience, many of these parts appear to be re-packaged mid grade parts that be commonly picked up at any aftermarket parts store.

It IS a confusing situation, as AC-Delco markets 3 different quality lines. My staff often deals with this confusion with parts customers that assume ALL Ac-Delco parts are the same. They are not.

It is similiar with the battery line. The "Professional" battery line is the OE grade battery that is installed in each new GM vehicle, and is very high quality.

Regrettably, Delco also markets "offshore" supplied batteries to aftermarket outlets, which again creates confusion with the OE quality line.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:45 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by Larrye
Don't know if I really want to jump in to this but............

At the dealer level GM pushes a Good/Better/Best approach on parts.

Best = OE original equipment replacements, of which many carry AC-Delco branding along with the OE GM part number.

Better = A high quality aftermarket part, comparable to the highest quality part that may be available at NAPA, CARQUEST, etc. They still carry a traditional GM number, but are not considered an OE replacement part. In most cases they are less expensive than the OE "Best" part, but not considerably so. This line is commonly called the "Professional" line.

Good = A cheaper made, aftermarket part. This is the "All Makes, All Models" line referenced above. In my experience, many of these parts appear to be re-packaged mid grade parts that be commonly picked up at any aftermarket parts store.

It IS a confusing situation, as AC-Delco markets 3 different quality lines. My staff often deals with this confusion with parts customers that assume ALL Ac-Delco parts are the same. They are not.

It is similiar with the battery line. The "Professional" battery line is the OE grade battery that is installed in each new GM vehicle, and is very high quality.

Regrettably, Delco also markets "offshore" supplied batteries to aftermarket outlets, which again creates confusion with the OE quality line.
now I'm really confused. from what you're saying is this radiator hose, labeled as "professional" is only a "better" quality part. if true, what here constitutes "best" quality? also, if true, the quality line differs for batteries - "professional" is an OE grade, which is "best."

the replacement radiator hose is stamped in a white ink, "made in U.S.A.," and appears to a form & fit match for my original radiator hose, P/N 10135652, that number agrees with the number as listed in the 84-93 parts and illustration manual. BTW, the hose was purchased from ACDelco, via amazon-dot-com -
Old 01-16-2014, 04:15 PM
Joe C
Race Director

the more I'm digging into this the more I'm confused. it looks like there is a "professional" grade, and a "premium" grade. the ACD radiator hose has the GM# 88908539. this number does not come up in the GM parts database, whereas, the original hose number, 10135652, does - WTF??? in the ACD database, the part number is 24250L (GM 10135652) - this differs from my hose. I did see this on the amazon site -
"Note: ACDelco partners with other manufacturers to supply the parts your car was originally built with. This product is in a ACDelco package, however the part may have been manufactured by an independent ACDelco supplier..."
I guess I was fooled by the "professional" label, which is only a "better" quality part -

here is a pic from the ACDelco site - note the P/N -

Last edited by Joe C; 01-16-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:54 PM
Larrye
LarryE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

It is confusing. Welcome to my world!! Again, my staff has a hard time explaining the different types of Delco parts to customers that can't understand the different prices in the market for what they believe is a comparable GM-Delco part.

Any more just keep in mind that an AC-Delco part in and of itself is not necessarily an "OE" part or "OE" quality.

However, many of the "Profesional" AC-Delco line parts are excellent quality, I have used a few on my '85 L98 with excellent results.

In running the OE part # 10135652, the actual application in the GM catalog is a 90-91 L98 upper hose, although discontinued GM still has stock at $28 retail.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:01 PM
Joe C
Race Director

I'm spending way too much time researching these frickin' hoses. one thing I did learn, and thanks to larrye, and a little research, "professional" labeled parts are not OE quality, but a "better" quality replacement part. at least it was made in the U.S.A.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:55 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Imagine if the op was doing the cloyes timing chain upgrade.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:22 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
I'm spending way too much time researching these frickin' hoses. one thing I did learn, and thanks to larrye, and a little research, "professional" labeled parts are not OE quality, but a "better" quality replacement part. at least it was made in the U.S.A.
Ok Joe, Im going to solve your hose problems.... For the absolute best radiator hoses, get a set of these and you will never look back... I have friends that swear by them......They have them for both L98 and LT1 engines.WW

Here's what they say about the hoses: :Made from a special EPDM rubber, Super Hi-Miler hose lasts 5 to 10 times longer than regular hoses. A Nomex reinforcing sleeve gives the hose a burst rating 10 times stronger than rayon-reinforced hose. Not only are they known for their strength and long life, they've got an electric blue color to set them apart.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gtr-5008

Last edited by WW7; 01-16-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:43 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 571 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by jsdomino
I recently purchased a Lower Radiator Hose, part #24409L for my '95 Corvette, 5.7L OHV (LT1) from Rock Auto. (not blaming Rock Auto, they just send according to catalog).

I chose AC Delco because I wanted the exact fit and quality of the original. According to all sources, including the AC Delco parts catalog this is the correct part.

To my dismay, the part is not an exact fit! When compared to the original part the molded shape is not the same and the inlet sizes are incorrect. The correct size should be 1 1/2" at water pump and 1 3/4' at radiator. The hose I received was 1 3/8 at each end.

I called AC Delco to complain and discovered they have updated the part number to an "all makes" part (probably figured they do not sell many anymore). The correct part # should be GM # 10257252, which is still available from dealers and GM Parts Direct, etc.

I had to purchase an aftermarket part from NAPA which was a perfect fit. Now I am stuck with a $15 part that cost me $8 to ship and $8 more to send back. Don't make the same mistake.
Your dealer and gmpartsdirect wont get you the same part anymore either.

Gmpartsdirect substituted a defective optispark with a different part number in place of the ac delco that i ordered.

Where you got screwed $15, i got screwed for $400

Quick Reply: Be Aware of AC Delco number changes for replacement parts