C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Carbon Fiber hood came today

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 10:13 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
Right and look how long it took to get to this point...
I remain optimistic.

Also big thanks to you Raidmagic for the test fit and write up. Looking forward to seeing how those vents look from the underside with the liners in place.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:21 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Default CF Hood

Originally Posted by Docderek05
I am at a loss as to what you now intend to do? are you going to paint over the hood?

Best, Derek
I posted these in the other thread of what I intend to do: Gauging interest c4 carbon fiber hood.

It's one way you can paint it but highlight the carbon fiber. I intend to compliment the CF in other parts of the car as well.

A few other ways to highlight the CF would be to have the CF pattern show through a set of grand sport stripes on the fender or have a center racing stripe of CF go right down the middle.
Attached Images     
Old 04-29-2014, 12:21 PM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Docderek05
I know you had a rough time of it, fabricating, fitting, shimming, etc. to get it as close as you did..and you saved 25 or so lbs, and it's now on the car. I am at a loss as to what you now intend to do? are you going to paint over the hood? I am NOT judging, I am just curious what you intended, are you doing this as a weight saving project, or to show off the carbon fiber? as it would seem like a waste to paint it, but..frankly, in the photos, it just looks like an "unfinished" yellow car, awaiting paint...and again..not judging, just curious what you are going to do from this point.

you know what they say about opinions...but maybe if you were going to paint..
you could think about some nice design to showcase the carbon..excuse the crude graphic,
no photoshop tools avail in the version I have at work...

Best, Derek
It will have parts painted and parts with exposed CF. I am just a beta tester for the company building these. The point of this project is to have some more cool stuff for sale for C4's
Old 04-29-2014, 12:24 PM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jwheelerjr
A few other ways to highlight the CF would be to have the CF pattern show through a set of grand sport stripes on the fender o
Shhhhhh! That's part of my plan!
Old 04-29-2014, 04:59 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

If you look at many C4 hoods and front bumpers, most do not fit flush on the outside edges. The plus side for this issue is that the front bumper and hood have "MANY" adjustments in order to center align the bumper to the hood. Closing or opening gaps at the doors is a matter of raising or lowering the hood and front bumper together.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:21 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
If you look at many C4 hoods and front bumpers, most do not fit flush on the outside edges. The plus side for this issue is that the front bumper and hood have "MANY" adjustments in order to center align the bumper to the hood. Closing or opening gaps at the doors is a matter of raising or lowering the hood and front bumper together.
You would know...you've done this more times than a body shop.

How's the ZR-mule coming along?
Old 04-30-2014, 12:03 AM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
You would know...you've done this more times than a body shop.

How's the ZR-mule coming along?
Hey there! Prototype is great! How's old #474 coming along???
Old 04-30-2014, 12:29 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
Hey there! Prototype is great! How's old #474 coming along???
Still stuck in a barn with a dirt floor waiting for work space to open up...

I have an entire house of furniture and boxes taking up my barn space!

The good thing is it will be moved to its new house in another month or so.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:53 AM
littlesk8cracker
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I was excited about this but only a 24 lbs weight savings? I think theres much cheaper ways to lose that much weight. I wonder if anyone makes just a c/f skin without the bracing under the hood. that'd be lighter and probably cheaper
Old 04-30-2014, 02:44 PM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by littlesk8cracker
I was excited about this but only a 24 lbs weight savings? I think theres much cheaper ways to lose that much weight. I wonder if anyone makes just a c/f skin without the bracing under the hood. that'd be lighter and probably cheaper
But not very strong. You could pursue a c/f skeleton which could save another 10-15 lbs I'd say, but more money of course. For a light race car hood, a thin fiberglass one could be the way to go for strict weight savings.

I'm interested in the slight weight savings, a cool design, and the uniqueness of the CF hood.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:39 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jwheelerjr
But not very strong. You could pursue a c/f skeleton which could save another 10-15 lbs I'd say, but more money of course. For a light race car hood, a thin fiberglass one could be the way to go for strict weight savings.

I'm interested in the slight weight savings, a cool design, and the uniqueness of the CF hood.
Merle at Exotic Muscle sells a 100% carbon fiber hood. EVERYTHING is carbon fiber...even the bracing. It weighs in at 28.5 pounds.

They also have a "lightweight" carbon fiber race hood without some of the bracing...I think I saw someplace it sliced an additional 8 pounds off the weight.

The downside is the fully braced hood costs $2500, with the race hood just under $1500.

If saving weight is in your budget...that is where you go. I was also hoping for a much lighter hood with this one. The fit & finish is disappointing and I hope they can get it straightened out. I like the look...but won't buy it unless they get it better.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:20 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

Wow! Don't know how I missed this thread thanks for test fitting it Steve and posting you're thoughts (good and bad) that's always helpful when making something new. I forwarded this to manufacturing and told them we need to get these issues addressed. If you have more pictures please send them to me, that way we get work out all the bugs.

For the guys asking about a turnaround time, it wouldn't be as long as originally getting them made. They'll most likely tweak the mold and produce some more. I will see what they say and report back.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:18 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
I will see what they say and report back.
Great, keep us posted!
Old 05-01-2014, 02:38 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 573 Likes on 447 Posts

Wow! Don't know how I missed this thread thanks for test fitting it Steve and posting you're thoughts (good and bad) that's always helpful when making something new. I forwarded this to manufacturing and told them we need to get these issues addressed. If you have more pictures please send them to me, that way we get work out all the bugs.

For the guys asking about a turnaround time, it wouldn't be as long as originally getting them made. They'll most likely tweak the mold and produce some more. I will see what they say and report back.
Please work on the weight...

for now, im more interested in merle's exotic muscle hood. Happy to spend 2500 for it. Thats cheap for all the materials involved considering the size of the hood

Ask the zr1 guys and fit/finish of that hood is excellent

However, it doesnt have the coolness of the extractor vents!

Weight savings + extractor vents + < 2500 + fit/finish

And i will be all about this hood!
Old 05-01-2014, 04:54 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Please work on the weight...

for now, im more interested in merle's exotic muscle hood. Happy to spend 2500 for it. Thats cheap for all the materials involved considering the size of the hood

Ask the zr1 guys and fit/finish of that hood is excellent

However, it doesnt have the coolness of the extractor vents!

Weight savings + extractor vents + < 2500 + fit/finish

And i will be all about this hood!
Same for me...

I'm putting the car on a SIGNIFICANT diet to shed as much weight as possible, but still retain the interior so it's nice to drive around town. It's a "track car" but I don't want it LOOKING like a track car except for the seats/harnesses/cage.

I'd be willing to pay the cost for a CF brace structure and no fiberglass core if it came in =/< Merle's hood and weighed the same. If Exotic Muscle can get one done for $2500, then I don't see why these guys can't do it.

A 25# differential is pretty significant in my book...to overcome that takes a significant amount of horsepower, not to mention the loss is high up so the C/G is affected as well.

I'm hoping these guys can get it done...otherwise I'll have to go with Merle.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:06 PM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Any word?
Old 05-07-2014, 08:01 PM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Here are some shots of the inner fenders and hood prop rod. The prop rod was an easy fix. Just cut a small hole in the side of the brace and inserted a bracket with nuts welded to it. Easy peezy. In hindsight it should have been inserted from the other side that way it wouldn't be visible but life goes on.

Last edited by Raidmagic; 05-07-2014 at 08:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon Fiber hood came today

Old 05-07-2014, 08:02 PM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Got a little overzealous with the post button there. Sorry

Last edited by Raidmagic; 05-07-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:06 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 573 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by Raidmagic
Got a little overzealous with the post button there. Sorry
Did you put the screening in the vents or did it come like that?

Looks amazing.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:05 AM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Did you put the screening in the vents or did it come like that?

Looks amazing.
Came that way.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber hood came today