C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New C4 owner w/repair Qs

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 08:35 AM
wydopnthrtl
Drifting

Received 290 Likes on 187 Posts

Default New C4 owner w/repair Qs

Hey all, well after all these yrs of being a car guy I finally have a C4. It's polo green w/tan interior & has only 29k on it. Has a few options including two I need help to understand how to repair or turn off.

1. Passive entry keyless system.
It has three fobs and I've put new batteries in them. Old batteries were measuring 3.0v and the doors only unlocked automatically about 1/2 the time. So new batteries measure 3.2v and on one of the fobs the doors unlock much better (within about 8ft of the car everytime). But the other two fobs are unchanged. It's like they just don't work.
Also, the unlock & hatch open doesn't seem to work at all on the one good fob.

Is there some kind of reset or program I need to do? Or is it bad fobs? If so where do you suggest I buy replacements?

2. The tires I think are original. They will be replaced this week. Do any of you have thoughts on the Continental ExtremeContact DW and keeping the TPMS?

3. When I first drove the vette home the HVAC controls slowly didn't work from left to right. (got it stuck on 84deg defrost) Then after about 20 minutes of driving everything started working and has worked fine since. Now either I've lost my mind or something very strange is going on with the controls.

Any advise on these issues?
Old 04-27-2014, 08:52 AM
moco65
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the club...

I can only speak to the tire question. My '94 had the Continentals when I bought the car. Now 8K miles later, have not really noticed a lot of wear, so they seem to do well from that standpoint. Having said that, i am not overly hard on them either.

They are good performers - wet or dry - and don't seem to contribute a lot of road noise, although I really have no frame of reference to judge them against. Plus, I have added quite a bit of sound deadening material to my interior, so that doesn't hurt.

Enjoy your ride.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:59 AM
aussie_g
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl

2. The tires I think are original. They will be replaced this week. Do any of you have thoughts on the Continental ExtremeContact DW and keeping the TPMS?
My C4 came with BF goodridge Comp T/A's - I changed them to the Conti extreme contact DWS tires, I am far more impressed with the conti's

smoothed out the ride & they hold well - wet & dry

DW is Dry/Wet - DWS is Dry/Wet/Snow - The DWS has a longer life, the DW is a stickier tire.

Last edited by aussie_g; 04-27-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:04 AM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

The DW is a great tire. DWS, not so much.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:16 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Hey all, well after all these yrs of being a car guy I finally have a C4.
What year?

First, suggest you buy an Owner's Manual.... check ebay. The fob
batt and programming are explained in the manual.

If you are a car-guy, I recommend buying the FSM (Factory Service Manual)
for servicing the A/C, and everything else.

Last edited by don hall; 04-27-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:50 AM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Need to know the year. Appears a previous owner might have had trouble with the keyless entry system and bought at least one extra fob or was experimenting with replacement fobs. There is a programming procedure but it would help to read up on how it works to be thoroughly familiar with the various features. The C68 automatic AC possibly has a small vacuum leak in the connections somewhere or a fault in one of the two controls. The unit on the dash with the buttons and display is one them and the other is behind the dash. There is lots of info available on this forum about C68 troubleshooting as well as for the keyless entry and a search will turn up several pages of info from others who have gone through it before. Welcome aboard!
Old 04-27-2014, 11:42 AM
HGUNHNTR
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard that the AC/Heat controls tend to wear badly. The soldered connections can deteriorate and cause intermittent responsiveness. I have experienced this with my own. One option is removing the panel and re-soldering the connections.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:47 PM
wydopnthrtl
Drifting

Thanks guys, it's a 95. (built in 4/95) I'll find an owners manual and look into the fob thing. And I have an ad for a service manual here.. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-p...for-95-c4.html

Originally Posted by HGUNHNTR
I've heard that the AC/Heat controls tend to wear badly. The soldered connections can deteriorate and cause intermittent responsiveness. I have experienced this with my own. One option is removing the panel and re-soldering the connections.
Thanks HG, I'll look into that. That's exactly the kind of historical data I want to know about.

I dove a friends C6 w/the DW's. They were quite and stuck very well on the tail of the dragon. I was very impressed with that car.

On my 95 the TPMS light was on when I picked it up. The owner seemed to think something was wrong with it. Today I checked and all the tires were at 22lbs. That was an easy "fix".
I'm pretty sure these are the original tires. They are at about 4/32 tread on avg and the rubber is cracking in between nearly all treads. It definitely needs needs new rubber.

Last edited by wydopnthrtl; 04-27-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:01 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks guys, it's a 95. (built in 4/95) I'll find an owners manual and look into the fob thing. And I have an ad for a service manual here.. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-p...for-95-c4.html

Thanks HG, I'll look into that. That's exactly the kind of historical data I want to know about.

I dove a friends C6 w/the DW's. They were quite and stuck very well on the tail of the dragon. I was very impressed with that car.

On my 95 the TPMS light was on when I picked it up. The owner seemed to think something was wrong with it. Today I checked and all the tires were at 22lbs. That was an easy "fix".
I'm pretty sure these are the original tires. They are at about 4/32 tread on avg and the rubber is cracking in between nearly all treads. It definitely needs needs new rubber.

Link here to an online copy of the owners manual in PDF format courtesy of forum vendor GM Parts House. PKE info starts on page 2-4

http://www.gmpartshouse.com/download...95corvette.pdf

Last edited by toptechx6; 04-28-2014 at 07:05 AM. Reason: added info
Old 05-01-2014, 09:21 PM
wydopnthrtl
Drifting

Thank you very much for the O.M.!!

Well, I got a new set of DW's, 4 wheel alignment, and the AC evacuated / filled. Not having much seat time in a C4 my impression is that they are better in every way except that it lost that sharp feel when you initially turn the wheel. Funny part is.. the exhaust has a slight tone to it. The old tires were so loud that I couldn't hear it.

I had just enough time to get one of the fob's working. I figured out that I have to shake it before pushing the buttons. Once I do it works fine.

My next repair is going to be the drivers seat transmission. I'm considering vettepros on ebay. Any advise on this part?
Does anyone make a DIY kit with just the necessary parts?

Regards, Rich

Last edited by wydopnthrtl; 05-01-2014 at 09:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New C4 owner w/repair Qs

Quick Reply: New C4 owner w/repair Qs