50W driving Light upgrade - 1986 COnvertible

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 11:49 AM
dkalling
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 50W driving Light upgrade - 1986 COnvertible

Has anyone done this?

I am seriously thinking about replacing the stock 35W bulbs with the 50W (including upgrading the 10amp fuse to a 15amp), and I am wondering what effect if any this will have on the brightness of both the brake lights and tail lights when the driving lights are on.

I have read older threads on the upgrade subject but no one has commented on this exact scenario.

Thanks for your reply.
Dave Kalling
Old 04-28-2014, 11:59 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Upping the lights

Dave

I would be hesitant to just up the lights and fuse without going through the whole system. I don't know if the wiring or relays are up to it plus with the age of the C4's there's the chance of loose or corroded connections in addition of flaking insulation on existing wiring. That raises the chance of having something melt or catch fire if not careful.
I've read where others have changed out to LED's because they're supposed to put out more light but have less draw but I haven't done them so other than what others have said, don't know how good or easy it is.
Be careful so you don't do something that could come back to haunt you.

My 2 cents

Paul
Old 04-28-2014, 12:19 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The stock fog/driving light circuit will handle a 50w bulb. But I would not change the fuse. Fuses are there to protect the wiring so upping the fuse capacity might cause any potential overheating of a wire to not blow a fuse.

The other thing to consider with higher wattage bulbs is heat in the lamp housing. The fog/driving lamp housing is sealed and it will retain heat. Also, if the lens is no longer clear, higher wattage bulb may not do what you want. LED replacement bulbs may provide more lumens, but again, if the lenses are cloudy or pitted, there may not be any real benefit. The same would hold true with any damage to the reflective part of the housing.

There should be no impact at all to the brightness of the tail/brake/turn bulbs. On my '87 the tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals are all on separate circuits and have their own fuses; tail 10A, stop/hazard 20A, and turn signal/backup 15A. Check your fuse panel to see what size fuses are used for those circuits.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:11 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I upgraded to the 885 bulb, yes you do need to change the fuse to a 15A or you will blow the tail lights the first time you hit the brakes.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:57 PM
dkalling
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 50W upgrade reply..

Thanks Paul...and a good two cents worth of input. You are probably right on the money and I appreciate the response. Based on your response and the others, I will stand pat with the way the driving lights are now.
Thanks again,
Dave K

Originally Posted by hcbph
Dave

I would be hesitant to just up the lights and fuse without going through the whole system. I don't know if the wiring or relays are up to it plus with the age of the C4's there's the chance of loose or corroded connections in addition of flaking insulation on existing wiring. That raises the chance of having something melt or catch fire if not careful.
I've read where others have changed out to LED's because they're supposed to put out more light but have less draw but I haven't done them so other than what others have said, don't know how good or easy it is.
Be careful so you don't do something that could come back to haunt you.

My 2 cents

Paul
Old 04-29-2014, 02:54 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

I did this upgrade about 20 years ago. Just for fun I turned on the fog lights with the 10A fuse still in the fuse panel. It did blow. I put in the 15A fuse and it has worked fine ever since.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:43 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Misc

Originally Posted by dkalling
Thanks Paul...and a good two cents worth of input. You are probably right on the money and I appreciate the response. Based on your response and the others, I will stand pat with the way the driving lights are now.
Thanks again,
Dave K
Dave

I think that's a smart move. Now if you're trying to improve your lighting, maybe see if you can clean up the housings and replace the bulbs (they do darken over time in some cases). You may find that adds the lighting you're looking for. I know it did make a difference replacing the darkened and burnt out bulbs in my dash.

Paul
Old 05-02-2014, 01:03 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

I replaced my fogs, but didn't get the little clip on the connector to snap onto the base of the bulb properly. The connector just pulled out of the tube that holds the fog light, and the bulb was still way down in that tube! Had a heck of a time getting the bulb out!!
A word to the wise: Be SURE the retainer clip on the socket snaps onto the tiny little protrusion on the base of the bulb!! I had to file about .010 off the little protrusion on the bulb base to get it to snap together!

Get notified of new replies

To 50W driving Light upgrade - 1986 COnvertible

Quick Reply: 50W driving Light upgrade - 1986 COnvertible