C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Coolent is dark ad oily... what is up with that

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 08:08 PM
mkotz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolent is dark ad oily... what is up with that

So I popped my rad cap today and its brownish and feels oily. I looked at my dip stick and oil is showing full so if their is a leak it sure is not much. Te car does not burn oil either.

Im afraid to even say it but do I have a cracked block? Or possible head gasket?

Last year the Intake manifold gasket was done...

Last edited by mkotz; 05-10-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:51 PM
Aaron71771
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

could be head gasket, you can pull the spark plugs and see if one or more are don't look like the others.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:42 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 208 Posts

Antifreeze feels oily. Brownish could just be old and dirty coolant. When was it last flushed?
Old 05-11-2014, 09:58 AM
mkotz
Advanced

It was flushed last year when the intake gasket was done.

When the flush was done there was so much buildup like a rusty color. I had the flush done at the shop and they did 2 flushes on it because of the buildup. So I guess it is possible that there is still some left over buildup from last year.

I am doing the plugs this week so I will inspect them closely. I also have a compression tester.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:16 AM
Bob89c4
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkotz

When the flush was done there was so much buildup like a rusty color. I had the flush done at the shop and they did 2 flushes on it because of the buildup. So I guess it is possible that there is still some left over buildup from last year.

I am doing the plugs this week so I will inspect them closely. I also have a compression tester.
What does the oil look like? If there is coolant there you've got a problem. I'd flush again replace the cap if the oil looks good and keep a eye on things... temp gauge, leaks etc & keep your fingers crossed.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:42 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mkotz

That stuff never goes away.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:10 AM
mkotz
Advanced

After changing the plugs and they all looked fine. None of them or black. They were all the same color. The I was working on it with put some coolent on paper and it dried right away so he said it wasn't oil in the coolent. Its just dirty coolent still. Basically he said to drain it and fill with water, run for a while and then drain and repeat until it start coming clean. So this is going to be my project soon... Does anyone know any additive I can add to the rad that can help with the cleaning?

Get notified of new replies

To Coolent is dark ad oily... what is up with that

Quick Reply: Coolent is dark ad oily... what is up with that