Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What brand of Tire do you have and how many miles do you have on them?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 11:04 AM
c4rulz
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What brand of Tire do you have and how many miles do you have on them? (Scoob)

B.F. Goodrich Comp T/A P275/40ZR17
If you want an inexpensive hard rubber tire to last and still give performace - this is a good choice as is the Mich Pilot MoJo uses. But with either of these - make sure you dont get any that are out of round... check them real good when you drive off from the dealer installing them. If in a day or two they seem out of balance, you probably have a bad tire.

NOW - MY CHOICE is no choice at all. The Car came with MOBIL-1 for a reason and EAGLE GSC's for a reason! If you can afford a vette, you can probably afford to keep her right, for just a few dollars more. The GSC's can be found for as cheap if not cheaper than the inexpensive tires I mentioned above - you just have to comparison shop.

I've had all of the above and I forget about price or tire wear and will go with the original from now on!
Old 07-24-2002, 11:36 AM
Eric 96
Safety Car

Default Re: What brand of Tire do you have and how many miles do you have on them? (GreyHawk)

I have Firestone Firehawks...they are new.
Everyone who rides in the Vette says that they ride much better than the Goodyears they all have, and that they are much quieter.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:38 AM
VetteBabe1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: What brand of Tire do you have and how many miles do you have on them? (Eric 96)

I had Eagle GSC's on my 87 when I had it. Got 62,000 miles out of them (yes, say no way, but it's the truth!! I drive nicely!). Loved them...just can't afford them for the Z....:lol:
Old 07-24-2002, 01:02 PM
35th
Drifting

Default Re: What brand of Tire do you have and how many miles do you have on them? (Bob88Convertible)

Just got a set of Kuhmo's. No miles on them yet my Vette is still in the shop, but when she gets out the miles will start adding up real quick :yesnod: :cheers: :seeya
Old 07-24-2002, 02:27 PM
fourthrail
Instructor

Default Re: What brand of Tire do you have and how many miles do you have on them? (GreyHawk)

I've still got the original gatorbacks on my 91. ~30K, and still look like they've got at least 10K left on them. Since they're 11 years old, they are a little dry, and I'd like to replace them with some Firestones. Just dont have the grand for tires right now.
Old 07-24-2002, 02:48 PM
EricJ
Pro

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Default Re: What brand of Tire do you have and how many miles do you have on them? (c4rulz)

NOW - MY CHOICE is no choice at all. The Car came with MOBIL-1 for a reason and EAGLE GSC's for a reason!
Yep, that reason is pretty much price. They buy so many Good Years every year they are dirt cheap. I have had 2 sets of GSC's in the past and they were noisey, they cupped real bad and they didn't handle very well. Performance tires have a come a long way in the last 10 years and GSC's are over priced, 10 year old technology at this point. In 92-93 these were pretty good tires compared to their competition but today we have much better alternatives. Firestone SZ50, Bridgestone Potenza, BF Goodrich KD, Yokohama Sport and the infamous Michelin Pilot. All of these are good tires. My last tires were the Firestones and they held up great for about 38k miles and were very sticky. I'm looking at replacing with some Potenzas at this point.

[Modified by EricJ, 1:49 PM 7/24/2002]
Old 07-24-2002, 03:17 PM
Danger Dave
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What brand of Tire do you have and how many miles do you have on them? (Mr Mojo)

Mojo Say's:

My Dunlop SP8000 only have about 7,000 miles on them and they are shot already. (rears, fronts still look new)
Driving style will always affect the longevity of tires. I might have got 20-25K out of the Dunlops if I didn't like lighting them up all the time. I have to say that the Michelin's will get the mileage you are looking for with and I have heard nothing bad in any weather or driving condition. Go to Tire Rack and read the survey's for yourself. The only downside is they cost $$$ alot.
Old 07-24-2002, 03:19 PM
enhance
Burning Brakes

I use BFGoodrich Potenza RE730. I love em. Had the rears on for 10,000 and the fronts for 2,000. They are holding up very well, and the handeling is great IMO.
Old 07-24-2002, 03:27 PM
88BigGuy
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What brand of Tire do you have and how many miles do you have on them? (enhance)

BFG M/T 33X12.5X15, with about 10,000 miles on them and still going strong. Great traction in the mud, not to good in the slushy snow, quite noisy though. :lol:
Old 07-24-2002, 07:11 PM
GDP
Team Owner

I have Yokohoma A520 tires, but the car came with them. They have about 2,000 miles on them. No complaints, but if I had a choice, I'd go with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. One notch less on dry handling but more tread life, plus wet handling if you ever need it.

Michelin Pilots A/S tire specs: http://tires.michelin-us.com/catalog...otsportas.html

Michelin Pilot Sport tire specs: http://tires.michelin-us.com/catalog...ilotsport.html

Personally, I feel that the Pilot Sports A/S tires off a piece of mind if it ever starts to rain, and I'd rate them as a higher quality tire than the Pilot Sports. They're a better overall tire.

The Yokohoma A520s, well I don't know much about them but from what I've heard they are very sticky, yet very loud. I haven't paid much attention to the sound they make. Good luck, and Michelins are expensive but worth it. Try Discount Tire and Battery because they offer lifetime warranties, balancing, etc. just for buying from them. :cheers:
Old 07-25-2002, 01:44 AM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Re: What brand of Tire do you have and how many miles do you have on them? (GDP)

I like the Michelin XGT ZR4 Pilots as well. Unfortunately, I got the last set of rears available in my area. They have been discontinued and replaced by the Pilot Sport A/S. The first set of XGT ZR4's lasted 32k Rear 70k+ Front.
The new Fronts have 14K on them and still look new. The Rears where replaced at 14K and didn't last as long as usual. Discount Tire told me Michelin had a bad batch of rubber go through and they gave me a 40% discount on the new ones. They normally don't do that on a performance tire, but knew they should have lasted longer than 14K.

I'm hoping to upgrade my wheels before I need another set so I'll probably be getting the Pilot Sports as the A/S's don't come in the 315 size. :nonod:

Quick Reply: What brand of Tire do you have and how many miles do you have on them?