C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

HEEELP , Hurst shifter install

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 07:00 PM
Mohammed_z
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Default HEEELP , Hurst shifter install

I Was following some instructions and pics , but I ended up removing the exhaust, removed the C clip , and now I can't figure out how to remove the pin !!!

Where it suppose to go , and if it went out, how im i going to reinstall it !! I'm stock and I dont know why it's so complicated to install a shifter on a C4 , while on other cars it's a 15min job !!!

in the pic below , the c clip went to the lift !! i cant see it

Old 07-09-2014, 07:40 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I know there have been few members who had done this mod in place. My ZF was on the floor, and if I remember correctly I took that part out, and used the vice to remove that pin.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:40 AM
gdl2165
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 83 Posts

I just installed my Hurst shifter last week, I also pulled the exhaust, I couldn't see any way to get at the pin with it in place.

The pin will drive straight up, on mine it ended up just barely remaining inserted into the top side of the rod that pulls out with the original shifter. Some people have trouble driving the pin out, on mine it was easy. I bought a punch set from Lowes with a variety of sizes, don't recall which one I actually used but it was slightly smaller in diameter than the pin. http://www.lowes.com/pd_300055-355-1...d=3185019&Ntt=
One of the smaller sizes came in handy for driving the second pin out at the other end of the rod once I had the OE shifter out. As far as reinstalling the pin, you just insert it from the bottom once you have the new shifter and rod installed.

I'm not sure what you mean by the c clip went to the lift. I'm guessing from your pic that it slid down the shaft into the boot. If that's the case you'll be fine, when you pull the shifter and the rod out from the top you should see the c clip at that time. Just slide it back down closer to its notch before you insert the new shifter from the top.

Yes, the install of this shifter is much more complicated and time consuming than a Tremec trans but between the install instructions that came with the Hurst and the pics in this thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-z...r-install.html
I felt like the install was pretty straight forward.

Last edited by gdl2165; 07-10-2014 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Fixed link
Old 07-10-2014, 10:40 AM
Mohammed_z
Drifting

Originally Posted by gdl2165
I just installed my Hurst shifter last week, I also pulled the exhaust, I couldn't see any way to get at the pin with it in place.

The pin will drive straight up, on mine it ended up just barely remaining inserted into the top side of the rod that pulls out with the original shifter. Some people have trouble driving the pin out, on mine it was easy. I bought a punch set from Lowes with a variety of sizes, don't recall which one I actually used but it was slightly smaller in diameter than the pin. http://www.lowes.com/pd_300055-355-1...d=3185019&Ntt=
One of the smaller sizes came in handy for driving the second pin out at the other end of the rod once I had the OE shifter out. As far as reinstalling the pin, you just insert it from the bottom once you have the new shifter and rod installed.

I'm not sure what you mean by the c clip went to the lift. I'm guessing from your pic that it slid down the shaft into the boot. If that's the case you'll be fine, when you pull the shifter and the rod out from the top you should see the c clip at that time. Just slide it back down closer to its notch before you insert the new shifter from the top.

Yes, the install of this shifter is much more complicated and time consuming than a Tremec trans but between the install instructions that came with the Hurst and the pics in this thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-z...r-install.html
I felt like the install was pretty straight forward.
It says the housing will not be removed , is that means with the lower boot ??

there are two bolts under the shifter , do i need to remove them ?

Old 07-10-2014, 11:10 AM
gdl2165
Pro

No, you don't need to take those bolts out. The lower boot and the shifter housing remain attached to the transmission. Once you have the pin knocked out of the rod and the bolts removed from around the shifter up top, move the shifter to the third gear location and then the shifter with rods attached will pull right out of the top.

Do you have the instruction sheet that came with the shifter? I have mine sitting at home, I can scan and email it to you this evening if you need it.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Mohammed_z
Drifting

Originally Posted by gdl2165
No, you don't need to take those bolts out. The lower boot and the shifter housing remain attached to the transmission. Once you have the pin knocked out of the rod and the bolts removed from around the shifter up top, move the shifter to the third gear location and then the shifter with rods attached will pull right out of the top.

Do you have the instruction sheet that came with the shifter? I have mine sitting at home, I can scan and email it to you this evening if you need it.
Thanks a lot man. You saved me, the link also was helpful.

I removed the stock shifter , and installed the hurst, but tomorrow will continue the work. I need to put the zip ties , put everything back and the exhaust. I'm pretty sure fitting the exhaust to the headers will cause some headache lol

Thanks again.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:23 PM
gdl2165
Pro

My pleasure, glad I could help.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:56 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just did mine while trans was on the floor. I can't image doing it in the car. Nice job!

Get notified of new replies

To HEEELP , Hurst shifter install

Quick Reply: HEEELP , Hurst shifter install