C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Total Audio System replacement...looking for ideas/tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 01:34 PM
SanDiegoRascal
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Total Audio System replacement...looking for ideas/tips

Okay gang, this is my first post ever to this forum, so be kind.

I've really loved the tips and tricks posted here on other points, it's really helped out a lot with regular day to day stuff on my 95...so I'm hoping that someone can help with this.

I bought mine about 9 months ago from a guy that took okay care of it, but as any 18 year old car does, it needs some TLC. Almost all of this is interior work. I've decided to start with a replacement of the entire BOSE stereo system. The speakers are driving me nuts! While they still work for the most part, one of them pops a bit...and I just can't live with that.

So I'm looking at tearing out the factory stereo (from what I hear it's actually two pieces, the ***** are the controller and the actual receiver is mounted elsewhere - not sure of the exact location though), removing all of the wiring and cabling, removing the Bose Speakers. Then installing a simple stereo, re-running all power and signal wires, and adding a separate power amplifier for the new passive speakers since they won't have a built in amplifier like the Bose ones did.

I'm not a total rookie - I used to do stereo installations back in the day (late 80s and early 90s), so that's not a concern, really. It's more about getting around the Corvette specific things, like interior panels that have to be removed, etc.

So the questions for this are as follows:
1. Anyone done this before? I'd be interested in any tips, tricks, or shortcuts you could provide as advice.
2. I want to replace the OEM antenna with a shark fin antenna and fill in the hole in the rear quarter. My plan was to mount this to the pillar behind the removable top, in front of the rear glass, centered. Anyone see any problems with this plan?
3. During the interior process, the carpet is probably all going to come out as well. I currently have a black and tan interior, I was considering changing to all black since finding replacement (non-OEM) carpet is much easier if it's just black. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks guys.....much appreciation from a Forum newbie.

-KCP
Old 07-11-2014, 01:49 PM
FWC
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15-'16,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I replaced my entire system last year on my 96 ( Bose gold.) Purchased the replacement, single din unit and speakers thru Crutchfield, modern is the only way to go. I only pulled the passenger side seat out and was able to snake the new wires along the console down under the carpet and up to the storage well behind the passenger seat. From there I ran the wires back to the speakers in the rear. I went with the size Crutchfield suggested for replacement speakers as I really didn't want to get into too much fabricating for larger speaks front and rear. I took my time and messed with it on a weekend got it all done. You will also find many guys recommend the double din unit btw . It's fun, get to clean up inside the car and learn a little more about it.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:19 PM
SanDiegoRascal
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by FWC
I replaced my entire system last year on my 96 ( Bose gold.) Purchased the replacement, single din unit and speakers thru Crutchfield, modern is the only way to go. I only pulled the passenger side seat out and was able to snake the new wires along the console down under the carpet and up to the storage well behind the passenger seat. From there I ran the wires back to the speakers in the rear. I went with the size Crutchfield suggested for replacement speakers as I really didn't want to get into too much fabricating for larger speaks front and rear. I took my time and messed with it on a weekend got it all done. You will also find many guys recommend the double din unit btw . It's fun, get to clean up inside the car and learn a little more about it.
Yeah, I like that idea a lot....although I may not go with Crutchfield for the unit itself. I went down to Best Buy and was looking at a different single DIN unit, but I think Crutchfield would have the correct mounting brackets and probably a conversion kit for the wires so I could use the existing harness. THAT would come in handy for the under-dash part at least.

For the speakers, any thoughts? I'm a little concerned with the depths available, especially for the kick panel speakers in front. The rears I'll probably use the existing Bose boxes as a template for speaker mounts, then hide the new speakers under new factory grills so that everything will still LOOK stock in the back for the most part, but be a lot easier to fix if a speaker blows or something like that.

Any thoughts on the antenna part? I'm curious if that would work, although I don't see any reason why it shouldn't.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:46 PM
FWC
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

No help with the antenna sorry. I also cut the carpeting off the rear speaker covers,has to help a little. I used Polk speakers that were proper depth, you may have to ask about other brands or experiment for max room. I am also looking for a set of tan sill / speaker covers for the front so I have an extra set in case I don't like the bare look.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:06 PM
ccool
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWC :

Can you tell me the part number or size of the speaker that you have put ?

Thanks !
Old 07-11-2014, 06:37 PM
FWC
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ccool
FWC :

Can you tell me the part number or size of the speaker that you have put ?

Thanks !
I used Polk DB651s they are 6 1/2 inch slim mounts in the rear not sure what size in the front.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:02 PM
92polo
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I replaced mine with a double din Pioneer and all speakers. Everything but GPS. One of the best mods I have made. No regrets at all.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:54 PM
ccool
Advanced

If someone can help it was appreciate, i plan to Change mine with less modification as possible, i'm looking to know the better sise for front door
Old 07-12-2014, 07:29 AM
moco65
Advanced

I replaced all my speakers about 18 months ago. Head unit and wiring had already been replaced, so that made life easier.

I used Polk speakers all they way around and couldn't be happier. Used 5 1/4 up front and 6x9 in the back. They dropped in with no modifications and I was able to put all of the factory grills on, so you would have no idea unless you pulled it apart.

While you are at it, I might suggest getting some dynomat or similar material and using liberally in the rear and on the doors at minimum. Really helped minimize unnecessary rattles/vibrations and improved the sound of the speakers, without killing the exhaust note for those times cruising without music. Believe it was about $150 for enough material to do the whole car, with some elft over.

Good luck.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:44 PM
ccool
Advanced

Hi !

Thank you for this information.

What is dynomat exactly ?

THanks !
Old 07-12-2014, 10:51 PM
moco65
Advanced

Hi !

Thank you for this information.

What is dynomat exactly ?

THanks !
Dynamat is a sound deadening material. It comes in sheets. Think mine were approx 2' x 3'. It is faced with foil on one side and is adhesive on the other. About 2 mm thick.

Refer to this link: http://www.dynamat.com/
Old 07-13-2014, 01:07 AM
ccool
Advanced

Hi !

ok thanks, for the door i have buy a insulator from eckelers i think but it can be good to use them for rear... doyou put them on the "floor" ?

Thanks !
Old 07-13-2014, 08:27 AM
moco65
Advanced

Hi !

ok thanks, for the door i have buy a insulator from eckelers i think but it can be good to use them for rear... doyou put them on the "floor" ?

Thanks !
Yes... I pulled the rear carpet when doing the speakers and put the Dynamat every where there was exposed metal, including inside the speaker housing. Seemed to help with bass response.

As for the doors, I have the insulator installed also. I would suggest putting some on there as well, as it also kills road noise.

The Dynamat is firmly pressed into place using a wallpaper seem roller - a small handle with a wood or hard plastic cylinder on it.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:46 PM
ccool
Advanced

ok thanks
Old 07-14-2014, 12:27 AM
vallini
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I went all out period vintage audio on my 85'. I basically am making the car the way I wanted it when I was in high school. I have an Alpine CDA-D957 with Focal Speakers, Sinfoni Amps & custom sub-box. Not cheap, sounds great looks right in the cockpit of an early C4.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:36 PM
wydopnthrtl
Drifting

Received 290 Likes on 187 Posts

If I were rgeplace the system in my C4 I'd have three added abilities. 1.Navigation/GPS, 2.Backup camera 3.USB stick

Otherwise.. high quality speakers and anything you can do to prevent rattling / speaker movement will always help.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:07 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoRascal
For the speakers, any thoughts? I'm a little concerned with the depths available, especially for the kick panel speakers in front. The rears I'll probably use the existing Bose boxes as a template for speaker mounts, then hide the new speakers under new factory grills so that everything will still LOOK stock in the back for the most part, but be a lot easier to fix if a speaker blows or something like that.
Here is how I did all 4 speaker covers, and tried to improve the front sound stage;
http://www.smokinvette.com/corvettef...ad.php?t=43094

^This was a massive improvement over stock...but still not what I wanted. I'm going to try again, using a quality set of "separates" and hopefully that will work better.

Here is how I did the amps, and sub...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audi...-and-pics.html
Old 07-15-2014, 12:05 PM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

No matter what you do..replace that damn carpeting that covers the speaker grills with some real speaker cloth...its not easy but worth it.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:30 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I completely

Get notified of new replies

To Total Audio System replacement...looking for ideas/tips

Quick Reply: Total Audio System replacement...looking for ideas/tips