C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

stripped top screw

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 03:09 PM
PAULEDWARD55
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default stripped top screw

I need some help on this one. i placed the top on my 1987 C4, tightened that 2 rear bolts hand tight, then tightened the 2 front bolts hand tight. when I used the tool to tighten all 4, the left front bolt tightened and then released tension. I checked the bolt and the threads are rounded off.
CRAP! What is the fix, and will I need to mortgage my home to fix it?
Old 07-12-2014, 04:17 PM
Wsmcdade1
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PAULEDWARD55
I need some help on this one. i placed the top on my 1987 C4, tightened that 2 rear bolts hand tight, then tightened the 2 front bolts hand tight. when I used the tool to tighten all 4, the left front bolt tightened and then released tension. I checked the bolt and the threads are rounded off.
CRAP! What is the fix, and will I need to mortgage my home to fix it?
Eckle's sells these. I never had to buy one but at least it isnt stripped!

Corvette Roof Panel Attach Screw, Front, 1984-1996

1984-96 (C4) Front Roof Panel Attach Screw

Part #: 37133
Price:
$6.99 ea.
Low Price Guarantee
Availability:
In Stock
Fitment:
1984 thru 1996
See applications below for exact details.
Select a vehicle above or use application chart below to ensure this part fits your vehicle.Add Items to CartQty:
.Add to WishlistDESCRIPTIONAPPLICATIONSSIMILAR ITEMS
DESCRIPTION
•Reproduction Of Original
•Used To Secure Roof Panel To Windshield
This Corvette reproduction front roof panel attach screw has been manufactured to original factory specifications using today's modern manufacturing techniques. You will find the fit, finish and function will work superbly for your restoration. In addition, using a reproduction front roof panel attach screw from Eckler's will add authenticity and value to your Corvette.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:06 PM
Bluezman
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Can you explain it a bit more? From your description, it seems like you'd just replace the bolt as per Wsmcdade1 answer. Or did it also strip the receiver?
Old 07-12-2014, 05:33 PM
PAULEDWARD55
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bluezman
Can you explain it a bit more? From your description, it seems like you'd just replace the bolt as per Wsmcdade1 answer. Or did it also strip the receiver?
I just looked at the receiver and it seems to be ok. Besides, buying the new part, what do i have to do to install it?
Old 07-12-2014, 08:19 PM
Bluezman
Racer

I took mine apart once and cleaned that area above the windshield. I was installing new visors so it was necessary to get in that area anyway.

From memory, I remember there were some simple plastic pieces that had to be removed, which exposed everything up there. If it was more than that, it wasn't complicated. Everything just opened up to expose the hardware in the channel above the windshield. I believe the screws you refer to are a special Torx style with a groove on the shoulder above the threads. You put the bolt in thru the hole you stick your wrench into and install a snap ring on each screw from the other side (on top) to keep them in there . The snap ring just keeps the screw in a retained position until you put the top on and align the end of the screw with the threads in the top. I don't think you'll have much trouble with it.

I would definitely order the right thing from Ecklers, however. Then your wrench will work the way it's supposed to and the bolt will be the correct hardness. I'm sure engineers at GM designed those screws to strip out instead of the thread in the top since the screws are so easy and inexpensive to replace.

If you need better information than that, or accurate information, I could take my car apart and photograph the process. I wouldn't be opposed to replacing mine anyway. They've been well used.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:48 PM
PAULEDWARD55
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bluezman
I took mine apart once and cleaned that area above the windshield. I was installing new visors so it was necessary to get in that area anyway.

Think your name is great. Interestingly enough I am on the east coast close to Providence R.I. I appreciate your offer to use your ride as a ginea pig, but please let me try first, myself. I'll order two of these bolts on Sunday and after I take the plastic pieces off I will hopefully contact you with a positive result.

From memory, I remember there were some simple plastic pieces that had to be removed, which exposed everything up there. If it was more than that, it wasn't complicated. Everything just opened up to expose the hardware in the channel above the windshield. I believe the screws you refer to are a special Torx style with a groove on the shoulder above the threads. You put the bolt in thru the hole you stick your wrench into and install a snap ring on each screw from the other side (on top) to keep them in there . The snap ring just keeps the screw in a retained position until you put the top on and align the end of the screw with the threads in the top. I don't think you'll have much trouble with it.

I would definitely order the right thing from Ecklers, however. Then your wrench will work the way it's supposed to and the bolt will be the correct hardness. I'm sure engineers at GM designed those screws to strip out instead of the thread in the top since the screws are so easy and inexpensive to replace.

If you need better information than that, or accurate information, I could take my car apart and photograph the process. I wouldn't be opposed to replacing mine anyway. They've been well used.
Think your name is great.
I will order the parts form Ecklers and once I have them in the car,
I will contact you with the hope that you don't need to use your car for my benefit.
Regards,
Paul
Old 07-12-2014, 09:29 PM
Bluezman
Racer

You bet and have fun. It'll be a piece of cake.

But if you need to talk to me, just PM me and I'll shoot you my phone number. Its always great to make a personal connection with a fellow C4 person!

Excellent choice of car by the way!

Get notified of new replies

To stripped top screw

Quick Reply: stripped top screw