New top does not fit.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 09:12 AM
NOsburn
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New top does not fit.

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased at auction a 1986 Vette convertible. It came with a new rag top still in the box. I installed it using the video directions provided. Not too hard to do. Problem is: it is too tight to latch. I latch the back first as it says in the owners manual and there is about a two inch gap at the windshield that I can not over come.

Shrink that much from sitting in the box? Are there adjusting rods other then the ones I have found or do I get out the hair dryer and start expanding it?

Thanks,

NOsburn
Old 09-06-2014, 10:47 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

You might try letting it sit in the warm sun in the up position. It probably just needs to stretch and loosen up a bit. If it does finally stretch to fit, leave it in the up position latched for a long while.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:27 PM
NOsburn
Advanced

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
You might try letting it sit in the warm sun in the up position. It probably just needs to stretch and loosen up a bit. If it does finally stretch to fit, leave it in the up position latched for a long while.
Thanks for the tip. I thought that would be a could try....
Old 09-07-2014, 08:13 AM
Txbobcat
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I hook my windshield first and then hook in the back. Like 4speed says let it sit in the sun.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:34 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Top

In addition to warming the top up, either open the doors or put the windows down while putting the top up.
I flip the top up, open the doors and lock down the front first then lock down the back and close the doors.

Works every time for me.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:57 PM
NOsburn
Advanced

Default Heat up the top!

Originally Posted by hcbph
In addition to warming the top up, either open the doors or put the windows down while putting the top up.
I flip the top up, open the doors and lock down the front first then lock down the back and close the doors.

Works every time for me.
I put a portable heater on the back deck and used a hair dryer. Got it latched on all four corners and will leave it up till Spring as I am doing other things to the car and do not plan to put it on the road this Fall at all. Thanks for the ideas....
Old 09-08-2014, 09:23 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Look at it this way. At least now you know you're going to have a nice looking tight fit convertible top. They look so much better than some of the roofs that have ripples in the material due to the material being too saggy.

Get notified of new replies

To New top does not fit.

Quick Reply: New top does not fit.