C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Towing C4 to Shows ....

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 11:20 PM
C4.Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Towing C4 to Shows ....

This question for Guys who Tow their C4 to Shows ....

I'm looking to buy an Enclosed Car-Toy Trailer:

The H3 Alpha is rated at 6,000 total pulling weight capacity.

Tools, tires, food, beer, etc: 300 Pounds
Corvette: 3,500 Pounds
Enclosed Trailer: 4,000
--------------------------
Total = 7,800 Pounds

Unfortunately, I am obviously over the limit pulling with my H3. That said, I'm thinking about buying heavy duty Truck like the Dodge Ram 3500.

Dodge Ram:

Question: If you were me - what would you do?

Thanks
Old 10-08-2014, 11:46 PM
C4.Ray
Burning Brakes

Forgot to mention, I want an Enclosed Trailer to haul my C4 and future C4-ZR1 to shows and have space inside to tinker around. Also, saving $ is a priority and the Tundra has good towing capabilities: http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/4664103830.html

Thanks in Advance all Valued Opinions.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:33 AM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

You are at the towing limit with that tundra. (True fact) You will also pay more for a tundra than a comparable american pickup. I'm biased though as I will never buy a toyota tundra. Just my .2cents...
Old 10-09-2014, 06:02 AM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 316 Posts

I tow with this Chevy D-Max. I towed this 4x4 pick up on a tilt back trailer which weighs around 2500 lbs and the truck has to be at least 6K lbs. and barely noticed it was back there. I have the Banks kit on it too.

My truck is a crew cab with an 8' bed and the longer the truck the better the tow. It has the Alison trans with engine brake which also really nice if you have to stop quickly or going down a long grade.

You can tow with a lesser, smaller, cheaper truck that is at its maximum tow rating but there is a big difference with a bigger truck. It's not just the power to pull something but the ability to stop and make evasive maneuvers. The last thing you want is to have your precious cargo upside down in a ditch because your tow rig was not sufficient.
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2014, 06:53 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

trailering a C4 to a car show - ??? - sorry, no flames, but I don't get it. the only way you'll see my corvette on a trailer, is if it's broken. I'm more impressed with original, high mileage cars, that are impeccable condition than some trailer queen. I'm going to drive my 85 until the wheels fall off -- then i'll put some new wheels on it....
Old 10-09-2014, 07:14 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

You are looking at over 7K LBS of cargo and probably more like 9K LBS (2 cars plus what ever else). You also need to take into consideration the weight of the trailer (2-3K LBS). That is 12K LBS minimum. You will need a triple axle trailer for this weight range and a truck capable of towing that amount of weight.

I will tell you up front that no 1500 half ton or less truck is going to tow what you want. Sure the Chevy/GMC twins with the 6.2L and MAX tow package are rated at 12K but you are right up against the max limit from the start. Not a good plan. Not only that, you will spend more on a lesser truck to get it prepped to tow the weight than you would just buying an HD truck to start.

You need a minimum of a 3/4 and probably should be looking at a 1 ton. I will also say there is no such thing as cheap when you get to this weight class.

One other thing. Half ton trucks are focused today on fuel mileage. This means that when not towing they get great fuel mileage. As soon as you hook a trailer to them they go south quick in the mileage department. So that truck that gets 20ish MPG by itself is only going to get 7-10 MPG towing.

You really need to ask yourself how much you are going to tow and how often you will drive the truck unloaded. Do a lot of research in the towing forums and truck forums. Lots of decisions to make.

Having just gone through this myself, I can tell you there are many great choices and options on the HD trucks that just even last year didn't exist.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:25 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I just noticed the Dodge you posted was a Diesel. You also mentioned saving money was a priority.

Not going to get into the Diesel vs. Gas debate here. I am just going to state facts as I know them.

CONs
1. Diesel initial buy in is $7-10K over a gasser.
2. Diesel maintenance is more than a gasser on a astronomical scale. Fuel filters/water separators, DEF, Gallons of oil vs. quarts of oil.
3. Diesel fuel (in my area) is 40-50 cents higher per gallon than gas.

PROs
1. Diesels get better fuel mileage when loaded. Highest I have seen is 5 MPG over a gasser with similar loads. 8 MPG on gasser (Dodge V10) vs. 13 MPG on Diesel (Ford 7.3L PS)
2. Diesels tend to run longer without major tear downs. 300,000 miles or better. However, I think the gassers are catching up these days.

You need to decide which one is better for you. In my case the diesel would not pay for itself so I bought a gasser.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:58 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
trailering a C4 to a car show - ??? - sorry, no flames, but I don't get it. the only way you'll see my corvette on a trailer, is if it's broken. I'm more impressed with original, high mileage cars, that are impeccable condition than some trailer queen. I'm going to drive my 85 until the wheels fall off -- then i'll put some new wheels on it....
with Joe.... I bought my car to drive, driving to the shows with friends is a big part of the fun for me.. That's why I have 162,000 miles on my 89...If I had to trailer my car to shows I wouldn't go..I think you'll also find using a trailer is a PITA, you can't just park it anywhere and getting the car on/off by yourself is a hassle...It always seems to me that the harder/more complicated you make things, the less fun you have.......Just my opinion.......WW

Last edited by WW7; 10-09-2014 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:07 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I tow my '87 autocross/track car to events with a 20' enclosed trailer using my '08 Silverado. The truck is an extended cab, 4x4, and has the 6.0L motor and the HD trailering package. Total trailer weight is right at 6700 lbs with the car, tools, and tires. The truck is rated for a max trailer weight of 8900 lbs and a gross weight (GCWR) of 14K lbs. The GCWR is the max weight of the truck, trailer, and all cargo in both truck and trailer. Most RV forums say to not tow more than 80% of the trucks maximum capacity so truck selection will depend a lot on what you are going to take with you. Get some scales out and start weighing things.

Where you tow will make a big difference in tow rig selection. If you go long distances and over big hills or mountain passes, certainly a 3/4 ton truck with a diesel is the best selection. I would suggest a Chevy or GMC with the DuraMax and Allison trans. Ford has a good package but some of their diesels will be expensive to service and parts can be very expensive. As far as brand "D", run, don't walk away... Definitely get a tow rig with an extra tank if are going long distances.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:31 AM
WRTHW8
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a friend who sells Toyota. The truck just doesn't have the tow capability that the big 3 have. I have always been loyal to GM trucks until last year. I bought a Super Crew F-150 with a 5.4. I looked at their F-250 and 350 first. I really wanted a diesel but didnt want to get that deep into a truck. If I was pulling more thats the way i would have went. My dad has an Avalanche and pulls a '68 Skylark in a 20' enclosed trailer and I think it is a little too much for it. It pulls nice but you can tell its back there. In my opinion the F-250 or 350 would be better than the Dodge. Just my .02
Old 10-09-2014, 09:50 AM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
with Joe.... I bought my car to drive, driving to the shows with friends is a big part of the fun for me.. That's why I have 162,000 miles on my 89...If I had to trailer my car to shows I wouldn't go..I think you'll also find using a trailer is a PITA, you can't just park it anywhere and getting the car on/off by yourself is a hassle...It always seems to me that the harder/more complicated you make things, the less fun you have.......Just my opinion.......WW
Agree^

I've only taken my Vette to one Corvette only show and I drove it. I generally don't take a late model car to car shows. Unless it is highly modified I always found to odd to take a new car to a show (I consider C4's to be late model new cars). I feel that most people go to car shows to see some unusual, not something you can see anywhere.

That said, I drive my hot rods to shows. That is part of the experience is the trip there. As they say, "It's not the destination, it's the journey". I've made lifelong friends from breaking down on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere and having another hot rodder stop to help or fetch parts.

I've had countless interesting (and sometimes painful) conversations with people when driving a hot rod on the road. Stopping for gas, getting food, stopping at sites, etc. Everyone loves a hot rod! I really get a kick out of the older folks that ask about the car and tell me how they had one just like it way back when.

I've driven to nation events leaving home by myself and hitting the road amongst all the commuters drudging along on their way to work. Once clearing town the traffic clears up and you can roll on the miles in solitude, watching the landscape change as you travel farther from home. People waves, smile and give you a thumbs up as you pass by. Then up ahead you see one, the distinctive silhouette of a fender less chopped top 30's rod or maybe the rotund outline of a 40's fat fendered car. Could be a 60's muscle car or the low profile of a Vette.

Anyway, you smile and press on the gas just a little harder and as your heart rate increase in anticipation of what's up ahead. You catch up, pass and look over to check out the car with a smile and a big thumbs up which is returned. You fall back over to the slow lane and then it's the two of you running along across the great open road.

You both pull over to gas up and eagerly shoot the breeze about your cars, where you're from and what you do. But you got a long ways to go and a short time to get there so you saddle up and hit the road again. You're tooling along and then, three more cars are coming up the on ramp and joining in line. Then a few more come rolling up from behind just as you come up an a large group ahead. Obviously a car club as they are flying their plaques and banners. Pretty soon there is a line ahead of you so long you can't even see the lead car. You look in your mirror and the goes back the same. As far as you can see, bright colored rods, chrome sparkling in the sun, big fat tires and the sound of free flowing exhaust like music to your hears. Who needs a stereo when you can listen to the symphony of big and small block Chevy's, Hemi's and wedge motors, FE's and Cleavland's?

Once you get to the event city the cars start to peel off going to their respective hotels. You make a beeline to the host hotel so you can get your badges and goody bags before the lines get two long but it still takes you an hour because there are so many cool cars in the parking lot. Okay, I just have to check out this bitchin' Deuce coupe. Wait, look at that '67 427 Vette coupe there! Dang, look at that bad *** '55 Chevy gasser! A Henry J, a Boss 429 Mustang, a ******, they're rolling in faster than you can check them out!

Do you want to be the guy missing all the fun driving a pick up truck with your cool car in an enclosed trailer? Drive 'em if you got 'em!

Here's me driving my Model A while my buddy trailers his beautiful 392 Hemi '63 Dodge (I had way more fun).
Attached Images    
Old 10-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by C4.Ray
Question: If you were me - what would you do?

Thanks
If I were you, I wouldn't tow my car anywhere....as others have said, I'd drive it. Your concerned about "value", but you're going to buy, or have bought:
Corvette
Fancy enclosed trailer
Towing vehicle
...so you can go to car shows.

What is that; $50,000 or more? Drive the 'Vette to car shows (or even better, the track!) and save $40k on the trailer and truck.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:26 AM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Just Drive Them.

I drive my 147,778 mile C4 to shows.
They won't melt if it rains on the way. Just carry some detail spray in the trunk and some Clean microfiber and Terry cloths.

Now if you want to get a trailer, and truck for possible future projects which Can't be driven home (bad brakes, engine etc) that's different.

Around here, even with some serious custom cars, quite a few guys drive to shows.

My car isn't a showstopper by any means, but it gets mad respect like a few other cars, that I usually see around for being a daily warrior. For what it is, my car is Clean.

By the time you buy a truck, and trailer for this car and your other toy, you could have bought a used low miles C6 man.

If you want to take 2 cars to the show, just stop by a trusted friends house, ask him or her if they want to go to the show, and drive the other car. That's what I did when I needed to take multiple vehicles.

And they always appreciate the chance to drive a nice car

Last edited by MavsAK; 10-09-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:46 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I have to agree with driving to the car shows. I get more enjoyment out the drive than the show. Look at it this way spend the $ on another car
Old 10-09-2014, 03:25 PM
C4.Ray
Burning Brakes

Thanks Guys. The Trailer would also be used for other purposes like work related. However, upon more thought this is a huge expense [and hassle]. Not sure what to do and agree driving is better. However, over the years I've been in situations where I need a Truck, and I've never owned a Truck. Either way it's a big expense - Not sure if it's worth it.

Appreciate for all the great feedback.

Last edited by C4.Ray; 10-09-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:43 PM
84cfi3.73
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get that dodge it looks sweet with the fender flares and has a ton of power with the added chip and exhaust, air intake best of all it is red. Me likey
Old 10-10-2014, 08:58 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Let's assume you have decided to drive the Vette to shows but you already bought a trailer because you could use it at work. Just how much will you be using it for work? Will you get enough use out of it to warrant the costs of insurance, license plates, and the tires dry rotting from sitting? Unless you are self employed I would let the employer worry about a trailer. I think having a truck is a great idea, I have always owned a truck for a daily driver. I have a 2012 Silverado 4X4 and it is almost as comfortable as my wife's 2013 Maxima. Last, you will find that people will actually look down on you for trailering a car to a show, because they drive theirs. I had an experience at a show once where they were docking me points for rock chips, I told them to not even bother finishing the judging because I was leaving, and I did.

Get notified of new replies

To Towing C4 to Shows ....

Old 10-10-2014, 09:12 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
Let's assume you have decided to drive the Vette to shows but you already bought a trailer because you could use it at work. Just how much will you be using it for work? Will you get enough use out of it to warrant the costs of insurance, license plates, and the tires dry rotting from sitting? Unless you are self employed I would let the employer worry about a trailer. I think having a truck is a great idea, I have always owned a truck for a daily driver. I have a 2012 Silverado 4X4 and it is almost as comfortable as my wife's 2013 Maxima. Last, you will find that people will actually look down on you for trailering a car to a show, because they drive theirs. I had an experience at a show once where they were docking me points for rock chips, I told them to not even bother finishing the judging because I was leaving, and I did.
if they docked me for stone chips, I'd end up owning them points! just one more reason why I won't get into a judged car show. crap like that takes all the fun out of it.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:06 AM
84cfi3.73
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
if they docked me for stone chips, I'd end up owning them points! just one more reason why I won't get into a judged car show. crap like that takes all the fun out of it.
Exactly you know where all the flaws are and we try to fix them or just live with them. Then you get these idiots that say its all original 25 year old car. BS! It has fresh paint, tranny rebuilt, new belt, new hoses, AC repaired with new parts, new exhaust, new weather stripping, new window sweeps, etc. It is impossible to keep an old car looking prestine. There should be a category for cars that look good for their age.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:17 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by kg4fku
You are looking at over 7K LBS of cargo and probably more like 9K LBS (2 cars plus what ever else). You also need to take into consideration the weight of the trailer (2-3K LBS). That is 12K LBS minimum. You will need a triple axle trailer for this weight range and a truck capable of towing that amount of weight.

I can't figure out your math here. These are the op's calculations; Tools, tires, food, beer, etc: 300 Pounds
Corvette: 3,500 Pounds
Enclosed Trailer: 4,000
--------------------------
Total = 7,800 Pounds

How did this turn into 12Klbs?

Quick Reply: Towing C4 to Shows ....