Tire woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 11:53 AM
Barchetta
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Tire woes

Okay so here is the story.

I bought my '94 with 40K miles that has Nitto NT555 tires all the way around. Front: 255/45 ZR17, Rear: 285/40 ZR17. Only few years old with lots of tread life left. Wheels are chrome ZR1's.

I had the brakes all done, among other maintenance things, and car is in excellent conditon. I noticed it starting to shake significantly at higher speeds 60MPH+ mostly in the steering wheel and front end, so I took it to America's Tire to have the tires road force balanced.

First the fronts were done, and I drove it for a week. It was much improved but still noticed a slight shaking in the seat area. I figured the rears needed to be done. Took it back to have the rears road force balanced. Both the fronts and rears were off by some ounces, tires and wheels checked out okay.

Drove it that week and still felt the shaking slightly as if the balancing was still off. Took it back to America's Tire and they redid all four again and found all the tires were still off by a few ounces. "How can that be as you said it was perfect the first time?", I asked. They said their RF balance machine probably wasn't "calibrated" the first time?? Eh? RF Balancing isn't cheap.

Drove it another day and still noticed the vibration. Frustrated with America's Tire, I decided to take it to another shop, Les Schwab, to have it RF balanced again by different person/machine. Upon jacking it up and spinning the wheels we could see the front two tires were slightly out of round.

The problem being is that tires for the car are not cheap, and I only drive it in good weather, mostly the summer, or in winter when there are sunny days -- So I like the opportunity to be able to get in and drive it when I can. When not in use it's parked in my climate controlled garage.

Approximately 43K in 20 years (and car fax report showing mileage upon each years previous owners registration) the previous owner hardly drove the car and probably the car sat most of the time on the newer Nitto's it currently has. I'm sure it has developed a flat spot(s). Driving the car long distances, hoping the flat spots would smooth out did not work.

I'm considering getting new tires but I don't want the same damage to occur while sitting in storage. Jack stands or blocks would keep weight off them but then I'd be stuck without the car on those sun break days in the winter.

So here are some questions...

-- Have you had trouble getting tires balanced correctly the first time? I've read people with new tires having them balanced multiple times before they find a shop that can do it right. Does this happen often? I understand if a tire(s) is out of round no balancing will correct that, but going back twice and the balance being off isn't very reassuring on the job done.

-- How many miles does it take for flat spots to flatten out? Can storage of the car just one season (6 months) damage the tires to be permanently out of round?

-- What tires are you using and why do you like them. There are not many choices in my size locally. I got a couple of prices locally:
Goodyear Eagle F1's : $1,600 installed. (Les Schwab)
Bridgestone Expedia S-01: 1,137. installed (Costco)
Nitto NT555: $600 (not including installation): Walmart.com

-- What's the best way to store the car to avoid tire damage but have immediate access when you want drive it? Is that even possible?

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:33 PM
MRPVette
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

I have had this problem in the past with a couple classic cars I have had but if I can't drive a vehicle at least once a month I put it up on jack stands I know its a pain in the a$$ but worth it.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:49 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Mine has Goodyear Eagle GSC, 255/45R17 front and 285/40R17 rear. They were on the car when I bought it 7 months ago. They are about 7 years old and I will be replacing them soon so this thread is a good read so far.

About the flat spots: if my car sits longer than a week, I put it in neutral and roll it forward or backward about 8-10 inches so the tires are resting on a different part of the tread. It takes about a week of sitting in one spot for the tires to develop noticeable flat spots. They normally go away within 5 miles of driving.

I don't think any car should sit longer than 6 weeks without being driven at least a few miles, unless it has been properly prepared for long-term storage. Letting it sit for many months at one time, or for a few months repeatedly over years time, is just asking for trouble down the road. Especially with these cars notorious for developing problems due to not being driven.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:19 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

I think that probably half the problems with tire shop balancing is with the morons they have working in the outside shops. A lot of the ones around here can't even speak English and the ones that can act like they have a less than High School education. Minimum wage flunkies that sometimes don't care about anything but that Friday paycheck. They'll stick a pound of weights on an out of round tire and say "It's balanced perfectly". Maybe so. You can balance an egg, you just can't roll it!
Old 11-20-2014, 06:32 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I had a tire place use the hunter road force balancer GSP 9700 which worked out great for me
Old 11-20-2014, 08:43 PM
Barchetta
Racer

America's Tire uses the Hunter road force balancer at least what I was told. I really think an accurate balance depends upon the operator. The car isnt as enjoyable with a tire causing vibration.

Any recommendations on tires that anyone liked? Ones you didn't like?
Old 11-20-2014, 09:08 PM
FWC
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15-'16,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I just went thru this with my 96. On the original saw blades I had Hankook Ventus V4's on them they wore fantastic, quiet and performed very well. The only drawback is they did not not have 285s for the rear so I had 275 in back with 255s up front. Except for changing to newer C6 style 18 inch rims I would still be running them. I have the Hankook Evo2's on my new rims which are much stickier than the V4's. My buddies shop did not have a RFB machine and there was a very annoying shake using the older style balancer. I finally took it to a tire shop with the GSP unit and it is perfect now, they even took me back to show how it was done which of course made me feel better. It's hard to imagine how they could screw it up as the computer tells you exactly what to do. I hope you figure it out, I understand.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:05 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 490 Likes on 391 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Barchetta
-- Have you had trouble getting tires balanced correctly the first time? I've read people with new tires having them balanced multiple times before they find a shop that can do it right. Does this happen often? I understand if a tire(s) is out of round no balancing will correct that, but going back twice and the balance being off isn't very reassuring on the job done.
Yes. It's all about the tech doing the work even with good equipment. Politely ask the manager to have the experienced tech balance the tires.

-- How many miles does it take for flat spots to flatten out? Can storage of the car just one season (6 months) damage the tires to be permanently out of round?
Try increasing the pressure to the tire's maximum when you have it stored (eg, 45psi or whatever is on the sidewall)
Old 11-20-2014, 10:46 PM
Tommycourt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have problems with my tires before I replaced them. They had about 5/32nd's tread left on them however they were 7 years old. I replaced them with Kumhos which are made in Korea. Some tire manufacturers still use some nylon in tires which is the reason for some tires to develope flat spots when sitting or in cold weather. I used to be in the tire business many moons ago when they used Rayon thread you didn't have that problem. Problem is Rayon was poor wearing. My 88 verte. has a small flat spot when sitting over a length of time and it depends on weather (mostly) when you have to run them to get the flat spots out. It should dissipate within a few miles. If not, then head back to the tire company and express your dissatisfaction. Have them get another moron with all of his teeth and watch him balance your tires. Balancing is not hard but only as good as the operator who is doing it.
Tommy
Old 11-20-2014, 11:43 PM
astepup
Melting Slicks

Received 1,796 Likes on 665 Posts

I got my 94 a little over five years ago and it wore the original tires. I soon replaced them with Kumho Ecstas and am very happy with them. Quiet ride, very good handling qualities for a primarily "summer tire" and very good wear. I've got about 23K miles on them and they still look great (probably an indication that I'm not driving the car hard enough ). I store the car for about 5 months during winter with a bit over 40 psi in the tires and have never had any kind of flat-spotting issue. Get the car out, lower the pressure to 30 psi and off I go. I was planning on replacing them this next spring with some Nitto 555's and maybe run 285's at all four corners but just might stay with Kumhos as I really have no complaints about them.

astepup said that
Old 11-21-2014, 01:50 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I put a set of Continental Extreme Contact DW tires on mine about two months ago. They have the right size to fit both ends of my '94. I've put about 900 miles on them, including a 700 mile round trip. They run quiet and feel good. They do track the road a bit, but I'm not sure that's something you'll completely get away from. No problems with vibration, and much quieter than the Eagle HP set that came off it.

And the price was right - from Discount Tire.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:50 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

I've got the same tires, upon recommendations of several other too, and I love 'em. None of the problems you're experiencing. So, hmmmm..... sez me. Tires? wheels? tire shop operators?
Old 11-21-2014, 06:18 PM
Barchetta
Racer

I like the Nitto 555 that are on there now. They still have deep tread left, and they're quiet and handle well. I got caught in a downpour and I never felt unsafe. I'd hate to get rid of them. It seems whatever flat spots they may have had might be smoothing out a bit. But the ride is night and day from the first road force balance and the second time they redid it. The problem is once they find a flat spot, even though it can smooth out, they won't redo the road force balance for no cost if they did a lousy job because they can now blame it on the flat spot.

I guess a good question to ask is ... when was the machine last calibrated? Or when are you going to calibrate it next? Then schedule the RF balance for that day and ask for the most experienced person to do the job.

Are the Eagle GT's in my op worth almost twice the Nitto 555?
Old 11-21-2014, 06:24 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

No chance of it being a driveline issue, right?
Old 11-21-2014, 07:37 PM
Barchetta
Racer

^ I really don't think it is a driveline issue. Car has been completly checked out. It appears to be getting smoother the more I drive it. I'll see.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:23 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

^ I really don't think it is a driveline issue. Car has been completly checked out. It appears to be getting smoother the more I drive it. I'll see.
If you drove fast enough, wouldn't that smooth it all out?
Old 11-22-2014, 04:05 AM
2HIP4U
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When I get new tires, I make sure the tech aligns the heavy spot of the wheel opposite the heavy spot of the tire. I actually stand there to point out these marks, and watch carefully as he completes the process of balancing. (Don't let them demand you stand beyond the yellow line. These are YOUR tires on YOUR car.)

Placing these heavy spots opposite one another reduces the overall weight needed for a perfect balance.

Just my .02 worth

Get notified of new replies

To Tire woes

Old 11-22-2014, 08:29 AM
Richard Raichert
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 94 Vert

guess a good question to ask is ... when was the machine last calibrated? Or when are you going to calibrate it next? Then schedule the RF balance for that day and ask for the most experienced person to do the job.

Are the Eagle GT's in my op worth almost twice the Nitto 555?[/QUOTE]

NO! I have Nitto 555's that were road force balanced with no problems but I try to drive every few days. Continental DW is also a good choice and both cost half of GY!
Old 11-22-2014, 09:15 AM
BadUmp
Team Owner

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

*** 2HIP4U *** Darn good point!

It's been darn near 40 years since I did any tire work, and those were off tractor trailers and trucks. A lot has changed since then; so, my question is this - - - How does one know where the heavy points are on the wheels and tires?

Thanks...

Originally Posted by 2HIP4U
When I get new tires, I make sure the tech aligns the heavy spot of the wheel opposite the heavy spot of the tire. I actually stand there to point out these marks, and watch carefully as he completes the process of balancing. (Don't let them demand you stand beyond the yellow line. These are YOUR tires on YOUR car.)

Placing these heavy spots opposite one another reduces the overall weight needed for a perfect balance.

Just my .02 worth

Old 11-22-2014, 12:45 PM
2HIP4U
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

On wheels, there are usually three lines. These are not scribed into the metal, but are in relief. They can be inside either lip or on the back of the wheel. Rarely are they on the front edge of the wheel like the original sawblades.

The tires often have a triangle near the bead on both sides of the tire.

My ZR-1 rims had these three lines, and my Goodyear Eagle F1 GSC's had the triangles. The tech didn't know to what I was referring. After placing them in opposition, it takes very little weight to get them perfectly balanced. I think this technique goes back to the C2 era.

Quick Reply: Tire woes