C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Need a Vette doc in NE Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 09:30 AM
Parrothead
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need a Vette doc in NE Ohio

I’m having an intermittent engine stalling problem that my Chevy dealer hasn’t been able to diagnose. Can anyone suggest a good Corvette engine mechanic anywhere in Northeast Ohio? I live and work in the Akron area. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 08-09-2002, 11:29 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Default Re: Need a Vette doc in NE Ohio (Parrothead)

Parrothead -

i live in the uniontown/hartville area. maybe i can help. give me some details, what year c4, any codes set, problem at idle, etc. what has the dealer done so far, and what dealer have you been seeing? marhofer as well as progressive have some pretty good vette mechanics, star maybe ok, not too much faith in doug chevrolet. first thing is to check the fuel pressure, then the ICV, got and "crud" buildup around the throttle body? is the problem temp related? if you want, call me at work (330-796-8794) i'll be here until 2:00PM.
Old 08-09-2002, 11:50 AM
Parrothead
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Need a Vette doc in NE Ohio (joe ciechanowski)

Hi, Joe. Thanks very much for responding.

I have a low-mileage (12,200) 1990 Corvette that I got about three months ago. It has a 6-speed manual transmission.

I have had a number of incidents where my engine stalled while I was slowing to a stop with my feet on both the brake and the clutch. It has also occasionally stalled as I was slowing to stop or while downshifting to second gear to take a corner.

Each time, I noticed that the tach showed that rpm's were down to about 500 or less when my foot was off the gas, whereas normally the car idles at around 750 or 800. There were no idiot lights or gauge indications that anything was wrong at any time. This has happened with a full tank of gas, so it's not the level of gas in the tank. Usually -- but not always -- the problem occurs when the A/C or heater is on.

The problem is totally intermittent. It has happened as often as 8 times on a 15 mile journey. But then it will travel the same stretch of road for weeks on end with no problems.

About a month ago, I took it to Marhofer and dealt directly with Steve Seminatore, who is the head of the service department. He found no codes and could not get it to stall (ain't that the pain with these intermittent problems?).

I'd give you a call but must leave for Toledo momentarily. If you have any thoughts, let me know and perhaps I can call you next week.

Thanks again.
Old 08-09-2002, 12:24 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Default Re: Need a Vette doc in NE Ohio (Parrothead)

this sounds like a dirty throttle body and idle control valve, with maybe the throttle position sensor voltage. even with 12000 miles, your corvette is 12 years old, and there is probably significant buildupof "crud" in the throttle body and idle air circuit. the idle control valve may be at fault since you idle rpm seems a little high. my 85 idles around 550 rpm with ac on or off. three things i'd do is first clean the throttle body and IAC circuit. check for proper operation of the IAC valve itself, and check the voltage at the throttle position sensor. it probably wouldn't hurt to throw some new plugs, wires, distributor cap, etc if you still have all the original stuff installed. from what you're telling me, i don't think you have a major problem. i'm supprise marhoffer didn't suggust a cleaning of the subject components. hope this helps -

Get notified of new replies

To Need a Vette doc in NE Ohio

Quick Reply: Need a Vette doc in NE Ohio