C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

DRM Coilover with QA1s

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 01:14 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Default DRM Coilover with QA1s

Does anyone know if the Doug Rippi Coil overs will work with QA1 single or double adjustable shocks?

http://dougrippie.com/products/c4-co...-coilover-kit/
Old 05-01-2015, 01:29 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by ch@0s
Does anyone know if the Doug Rippi Coil overs will work with QA1 single or double adjustable shocks?

http://dougrippie.com/products/c4-co...-coilover-kit/
I wouldn't think so. That kit requires the creation of a snap-ring groove on the shock housing to locate the sleeve for the package. Any vendor should have a package that can be added to their shocks and I'd stick with their offerings. Some of them offer a coil-over with a spring of less OD than the DRM spec which is required for the 46mm shocks like the Bilstein.

I believe the reason why you see "no package" from any/most vendors is that if they market it in a package then there's the "liability" issues for all. If you understand shocks you should be able to assemble a package of your own and if you present questions to QA1 or anyone they'll generally respond with all the information that you need. Mention a particular application and they'll likely not want to make recommendations.

I had a list of part #'s for a C4 QA1 package at one time and I had a new complete package that I sold.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-01-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:11 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

So I need a 46mm Shock? I am in the process of buying a set of the DRM coil over and a friend has some QA1s he is offering for a good price.

If the QA1s don't work how do I determine what shock will?

Thanks for your help BTW
When it comes to suspensions I'm a dummy.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:23 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

So I need a 46mm Shock? I am in the process of buying a set of the DRM coil over and a friend has some QA1s he is offering for a good price.

If the QA1s don't work how do I determine what shock will?

Thanks for your help BTW
When it comes to suspensions I'm a dummy.
Coil overs are for people that really really know what they are doing to get the most out of.

And they really aren't any better than the transverse spring design. (remember the C7 is so awesome, that because of the transverse spring, it doesn't even have a rear swaybar on the base car, and still pulls over a G in corner grip)

Get a set of VBP sport springs for performance, and longer bolts to match so so you can raise or lower the ride height (which also alters the spring rates, just as it does on a coilspring). It's a lil cheaper, and you don't need serious suspension knowledge to setup properly.

Coil overs, just to get what you had out of the factory in performance, require a ton of work. And it'll ride like a tank afterwards in my experience at least on F bodies.

The VBP springs, ride better than the originals, and have at the same time stronger spring rates. Difference was night and day going to a new set of bilsteins, and VBP sport springs. (which are higher sprung than Z51 springs. and I can attest to the fact that it does infact ride better too!)

Here's the ones I went with
http://www.vbandp.com/auto-parts.htm...ategory_id=115

Stock was 340 to 380... sport rear is 480 to 510.
stock front 270 to 278 with shim... 279 to 305 without it
sport 450 to 550

Imo, the coil over is more of a show car or all out track car thing. (as in the car will live 90 percent of the time on the track)

Last edited by MavsAK; 05-01-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:34 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Im rethinking this, I might be better off with the QA1s and a drop kit.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:38 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Im rethinking this, I might be better off with the QA1s and a drop kit.
Yeah if you're going to go coil overs they're pretty much the only ones to get from what I understand. Still think you should try some fresh springs.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:53 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

I mean the QA1 shocks and a drop kit.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:57 PM
JimZRyd
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I just received my Coilovers from Van Steel, they use the QA1's in their setup. It'll be a month or so before I get them installed. Worth giving them a look if that's what you are interested. I am really impressed in the mounts that they have fabricated on their coilovers.

Jim
Old 05-01-2015, 04:12 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JimZRyd
I just received my Coilovers from Van Steel, they use the QA1's in their setup. It'll be a month or so before I get them installed. Worth giving them a look if that's what you are interested. I am really impressed in the mounts that they have fabricated on their coilovers.

Jim
The problem is I dont want to spend 2k

I have a line on a set of DRM coil over W/O shocks for a good price and a friend is offering the QA1 shocks. At this point I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

I do have my stock Bilstein shock..its a possibility i may give them a try.

I did find this very interesting and all those parts are less than 1K

http://www.ndneyes.com/mo/page5.html

Last edited by ch@0s; 05-01-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:19 PM
JimZRyd
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Totally understand! I'll keep an eye out for your thread on what you go with and will post up a review of mine once I get it all back together.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:25 PM
starrman62
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MavsAK
Coil overs are for people that really really know what they are doing to get the most out of.

And they really aren't any better than the transverse spring design. (remember the C7 is so awesome, that because of the transverse spring, it doesn't even have a rear swaybar on the base car, and still pulls over a G in corner grip)

Get a set of VBP sport springs for performance, and longer bolts to match so so you can raise or lower the ride height (which also alters the spring rates, just as it does on a coilspring). It's a lil cheaper, and you don't need serious suspension knowledge to setup properly.

Coil overs, just to get what you had out of the factory in performance, require a ton of work. And it'll ride like a tank afterwards in my experience at least on F bodies.

The VBP springs, ride better than the originals, and have at the same time stronger spring rates. Difference was night and day going to a new set of bilsteins, and VBP sport springs. (which are higher sprung than Z51 springs. and I can attest to the fact that it does infact ride better too!)

Here's the ones I went with

Stock was 340 to 380... sport rear is 480 to 510.
stock front 270 to 278 with shim... 279 to 305 without it
sport 450 to 550

Imo, the coil over is more of a show car or all out track car thing. (as in the car will live 90 percent of the time on the track)
Would you be able to corner balance the car with the VBP's? I know you can easily with coilovers.
Old 05-02-2015, 02:12 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by starrman62
Would you be able to corner balance the car with the VBP's? I know you can easily with coilovers.
It can be done, but it is more difficult than adjust ride height on coilovers.

The front monospring can be moved side-by-side if needed. I've never done it, but it can be done, and I assume it would have to be like 1/16 at the time to get it dialed properly.

On the rear the long bolts are easy to adjust.

I have double adjusters in The Ghost, and Sport monosprings with HD Bilsteins in Betty Boop. The coilovers give me more confidence when I go to play.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:20 AM
starrman62
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX

The front monospring can be moved side-by-side if needed. I've never done it, but it can be done, and I assume it would have to be like 1/16 at the time to get it dialed properly.

I have double adjusters in The Ghost, and Sport monosprings with HD Bilsteins in Betty Boop. The coilovers give me more confidence when I go to play.
That is what I was thinking....could probably be done, but would take forever. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2015, 09:04 AM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PLRX

As far as I know that's how you corner balance the car with the transverse springs.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:54 AM
SpedRacr93
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The problem is I dont want to spend 2k

I have a line on a set of DRM coil over W/O shocks for a good price and a friend is offering the QA1 shocks. At this point I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

I do have my stock Bilstein shock..its a possibility i may give them a try.
http://www.ndneyes.com/mo/page5.html
You need the Guldstrand adjustable sway bar end links in the front and you will have to modify your top rear mount in order to fit the Rippie setup.

For the Van Steel, you will still need the adjustable end links most likely.

I run the Van Steel kit. It's nice and worth it in my opinion. My car was Z51, so I don't think that it "handles" any better with coilovers around corners, but it rides so much better and still corners the same.

You can send your Bilsteins back to the factory in California and they will cut the snap ring grooves and rebuild/revalve for you for not very much money.

If you can get the Rippie kit for a decent price, I would go for it. You may want to look at Coleman Racing though... I bet you can get it cheaper there than you will used.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:24 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Thanks for your help guys. After thinking about it I decided to refresh my whole suspension with Poly bushing and a lowering kit. I also bought Double adjustable QA1s for the rear and single for the front.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:02 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Thanks for your help guys. After thinking about it I decided to refresh my whole suspension with Poly bushing and a lowering kit. I also bought Double adjustable QA1s for the rear and single for the front.

That will do the trick. Easy to change adjustment for track or cruise.

I go 13/11 for twisties, and 8/6 for highway.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:26 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

Just for info what part numbers are the shocks you bought ?
Old 05-04-2015, 10:07 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by blackozvet
Just for info what part numbers are the shocks you bought ?
Rear TD512
Front TS511

Get notified of new replies

To DRM Coilover with QA1s

Quick Reply: DRM Coilover with QA1s