C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Gas cap cloths

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 12:52 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Gas cap cloths

Hello everyone, I just wanted to share my experience with gas cap cloths, (if you can call them that) that protect your paint from scratches when you get gas.

The boot that surrounds the filler neck has a drain hole with a hose that drains to the bottom of the car. This is for water to drain out of. The cloth that I had was made out of some type of rubber. When it rained, the "cloth" was sucked over the drain hole, and blocked the water from draining out. This caused a large amount of water to enter the gas tank after sitting for a month or two outside in the rain.

I noticed this when I was washing the car and opened the gas door to find out that it was filled to the top with water. As soon as I picked up the cloth, it all drained out.

When I had water in my tank, I replaced the gas cap with a locking cap because I thought someone intentionally dumped water into my tank. I think this new gas cap seals a lot better than the old one, and I don't think I got any more water into the tank.

Just wanted to share my experience.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:59 PM
tbirdsps
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I won't be getting one of those. BTW I think they are referred to a aprons.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:07 PM
HeavyLifter
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought about this when I bought our car. I was going to buy one, and just decided to carry a terry cloth towel I drape over the back of the car when getting gas.

Last edited by HeavyLifter; 05-07-2015 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-07-2015, 03:34 PM
astepup
Melting Slicks

Received 1,801 Likes on 667 Posts

One of the PO's of my car put one on and I kind of wondered about that when it rains. Simple solution is to just turn it 180 degrees then fold it over the gas cap from the top.

astepup said that
Old 05-07-2015, 04:48 PM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default rain

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
Hello everyone, I just wanted to share my experience with gas cap cloths, (if you can call them that) that protect your paint from scratches when you get gas.

The boot that surrounds the filler neck has a drain hole with a hose that drains to the bottom of the car. This is for water to drain out of. The cloth that I had was made out of some type of rubber. When it rained, the "cloth" was sucked over the drain hole, and blocked the water from draining out. This caused a large amount of water to enter the gas tank after sitting for a month or two outside in the rain.

I noticed this when I was washing the car and opened the gas door to find out that it was filled to the top with water. As soon as I picked up the cloth, it all drained out.

When I had water in my tank, I replaced the gas cap with a locking cap because I thought someone intentionally dumped water into my tank. I think this new gas cap seals a lot better than the old one, and I don't think I got any more water into the tank.

Just wanted to share my experience.
You let it rain on your car ?
Old 05-07-2015, 05:00 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by auggy
You let it rain on your car ?
Yep, new car dealers leave the brand new vettes in the rain too. Nothing happens to them.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:11 PM
Roys92BlackRose
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I just put the cap in the holder hole and rest the pump handle on top of it. That gives enough clearance where the handle won't touch the paint.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:27 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Gordon Killebrew said in one of his classes that it is a good idea to check that drain hole as spiders can clog it up. I ran a wire down mine from time to time. He also advised that you could drill a hole in the rubber bib to make sure that any water drains out instead of getting sucked into your tank.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:02 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

I had one of those rubber covers also. I removed it the first time I washed the car as I noticed the water ponding up around the filler too. It's a bad idea to use one.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:02 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi

I drilled a few extra holes in that rubber gas filler neck boot "thingie"
You will be surprised how slowly water goes down that drain hose, i have driven the car in severe torrential rain without a problem.

Leave the gas filler neck boot empty, do not place rags or anything in there. Do not tempt fate...

Get notified of new replies

To Gas cap cloths

Quick Reply: Gas cap cloths