Registering as a classic

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 02:54 PM
88Woody
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Registering as a classic

Hi all,

Hoping to get some advice on registering my 1988 as a classic. Basically, are there insurance agencies that will also appraise the vehicle at no extra cost? We live in NJ and have NJ Manufaturers as our insurance. Unfortunately they don't appraise on their own and I'll have to find a seperate appraiser at around $300. Is that pretty much the going price? Actual registration shouldn't be an issue as that's just a few pics and waiting for the registration, but I have to also show that the vehicle is insured as a classic as well. Seems insurance is the problem I'm going to face.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Chuck
Old 06-07-2015, 02:59 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by 88Woody
Hi all,

Hoping to get some advice on registering my 1988 as a classic. Basically, are there insurance agencies that will also appraise the vehicle at no extra cost? We live in NJ and have NJ Manufaturers as our insurance. Unfortunately they don't appraise on their own and I'll have to find a seperate appraiser at around $300. Is that pretty much the going price? Actual registration shouldn't be an issue as that's just a few pics and waiting for the registration, but I have to also show that the vehicle is insured as a classic as well. Seems insurance is the problem I'm going to face.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Chuck
why register it as a classic?
Old 06-07-2015, 04:47 PM
88Woody
Racer

Too many issues right now with emissions and we really don't drive it more than 2400 miles a year. I originally bought it as a weekend car but had issues with another car so I kept it with regular registration. With that problem resolved I've decided to now register it as a classic.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:01 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

It varies from state to state...I have a residence in FL and Michigan...In florida you can get a "vintage" plate after 30 years for 56 bucks a year...In Michigan you can get the year (1985 for me) as a collector plate but you can only drive it to a car show or a repair shop....I'm guessing, since i've never checked, that my insurance rates would go up for either choice...(mich being just stupid since I drive it more that that...)
Old 06-07-2015, 11:40 PM
MyOtherCar
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you are stating that you need the insurance classification prior to getting the state registration.

If that is the case, just apply for collector car insurance with Grundy. You won't need to have your car appraised, just provide pics and negotiate with them for an agreed upon value.

Once you have that, and the car is insured, go get whatever plates you are chasing.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:09 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by MyOtherCar
I think you are stating that you need the insurance classification prior to getting the state registration.

If that is the case, just apply for collector car insurance with Grundy. You won't need to have your car appraised, just provide pics and negotiate with them for an agreed upon value.

Once you have that, and the car is insured, go get whatever plates you are chasing.
Basically what I did, though I used Continental Western for the insurance company (looks like they don't write policy's in NJ). Unlimited mileage if 20 yrs old, declared value as long as it's not your main driver. I didn't go for collector plates, but that was a personal issue but don't need them for my policy.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:10 AM
88Woody
Racer

Yes, that's exactly what I need to do, get the insurance and then I can register as classic.

I'll contact grundys and see what they have to say.

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2015, 09:44 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Try the National Corvette Museum for classic insurance. Adam Boca is the NCM rep for the insurance side of the Museum. He's a CF member so just send him a PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:37 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

do yourself a favor and look Adam up .
He spotted some issues even with my DD policy I wasnt aware of, got proper coverage for less. Great communication and service.
Policy coming up for renewal soon bet Ill be re-upping!
Old 06-08-2015, 11:13 AM
88Woody
Racer

Great, now I have three places to check out! Thanks all so much for all the advice!
Old 06-08-2015, 11:22 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

NATIONAL CORVETTE MUSEUM:
http://www.ncminsurance.com

I have compared them all for many years.
NCM is the best, and you help support the museum.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:13 PM
Jalopy Bob
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't forget about Hagerty for insurance. They are real car guys.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:36 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I have my older cars insured through American Collectors. They are based in south Jersey (Cherry Hill I think) and have always been great to me. After hurricane Sandy they were the first to send out an adjuster and a check. They also offer different mielage options and agreed value without a third party inspection. I may add the wifes 89 Vert to the policy next year, but for now it still passes the sniff test.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:42 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
I have my older cars insured through American Collectors. They are based in south Jersey (Cherry Hill I think) and have always been great to me. After hurricane Sandy they were the first to send out an adjuster and a check. They also offer different mielage options and agreed value without a third party inspection. I may add the wifes 89 Vert to the policy next year, but for now it still passes the sniff test.
Compare coverage to National Corvette Museum quote..... it's FREE.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:10 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
I use American Collectors as well and am very pleased. It must be garaged but the restrictions aren't bad. Just emailed them photos and got the agreed upon value.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:29 PM
ghref
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Michigan, a 25 year old car can be registered as an "Historic Vehicle". My '88 license fees dropped from $195.00 / year to $35.00 for 10 years, quite a savings. A few driving restrictions apply, supposedly driving to & from events (there's always an event somewhere), no restrictions in the month of August. But in Michigan there's only a few good months to drive.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:42 PM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

in Michigan if you get pulled over for speeding or anything else and have a historic plate you will be asked where the car show is and its pretty hard to give an answer if its not on the weekend and they know it. you will be issued another offence ticket and can even have your car impounded on the spot for improper use of a historic plate. It happened to a friend of mine. he didn't get his car impounded but did get a ticket which is about the same offense as having the plate off of another vehicle on it. I don't remember what his fine was but it wasn't cheap. Not worth it to me. Especially in a rural area like this where about everyone knows you and the police know where the car shows are and they sure know your not going to one Tuesday evening. What really stinks here in Michigan is your plate is based on the original price of the vehicle. So my plate for my vette worth 9k costs as much as the plate for my 06 Silverado that's worth twice as much and is driven all year.
Originally Posted by ghref
In Michigan, a 25 year old car can be registered as an "Historic Vehicle". My '88 license fees dropped from $195.00 / year to $35.00 for 10 years, quite a savings. A few driving restrictions apply, supposedly driving to & from events (there's always an event somewhere), no restrictions in the month of August. But in Michigan there's only a few good months to drive.

Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 06-10-2015 at 01:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Registering as a classic

Old 06-11-2015, 06:46 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

I'm down here in florida, and just registered my 85. seems that if your car is 30 years old, it automatically gets registered as an antique. from there you have the option of a standard florida plate or the blue florida "antique" plate. not that it's a big deal, but the best part, you get a price break of around $15/year on your tags. I'm assuming there is no mileage restriction since it's an automatic thing and you have the plate option. I opted for the antique plate - fits better with my old man aches and pains. I think of it as a Joe C "vanity" plate - who would have thought that C4's are now considered "antiques!"

in ohio, it used to be, that if your car is 25 years old, you could get "historic" plates with a one time fee. the plates are supposed to be good for 50 years, but there was a 2500 mile/year driving restriction and use limited to car events and such.

Last edited by Joe C; 06-11-2015 at 06:49 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:11 AM
88Woody
Racer

Well, I'm not having too much luck so far because she's not kept in a garage. Hopefully I can find some place that'll cover
Old 07-08-2015, 10:26 PM
pezter22
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale
in Michigan if you get pulled over for speeding or anything else and have a historic plate you will be asked where the car show is and its pretty hard to give an answer if its not on the weekend and they know it. you will be issued another offence ticket and can even have your car impounded on the spot for improper use of a historic plate. It happened to a friend of mine. he didn't get his car impounded but did get a ticket which is about the same offense as having the plate off of another vehicle on it. I don't remember what his fine was but it wasn't cheap. Not worth it to me. Especially in a rural area like this where about everyone knows you and the police know where the car shows are and they sure know your not going to one Tuesday evening. What really stinks here in Michigan is your plate is based on the original price of the vehicle. So my plate for my vette worth 9k costs as much as the plate for my 06 Silverado that's worth twice as much and is driven all year.
I live in Michigan too and have an '84 and a '91. I don't drive my '84 much so I chose to place a historic plate on it. It's mostly to keep the insurance at a low rate and no plate fee for 10 years is nice too.

A cop friend of mine said you can also drive the car to a repair facility. So you could maybe say you were bringing it to the garage if you were caught during the week. Me, I'm just waiting for August.

Quick Reply: Registering as a classic