C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1989 air conditioner smoked

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 11:45 PM
Went
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 67 Posts

Default 1989 air conditioner smoked

Hi, was driving home today and the AC all the sudden blew really hot air. Seconds later white smoke poured out from under the hood. We got pulled over and popped the hood. No fire...the smoke appeared to be coming off the compressor clutch. There was black gooey, greasy stuff like grease in a couple thick ribbons on the hood and slung all over in the path of the clutch.
Any general ideas what to check? Just curious what I might be looking at. I probably will take it somewhere for fixing as it is my only ride. Can't have it down while I try to figure it out. I never have worked on AC equipment before. It seems to be OK right now as long as the AC is turned off. It survived a 35 mile trip home OK after the smoking incident.

Thanks, Went
Attached Images  

Last edited by Went; 06-29-2015 at 11:46 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 06-30-2015, 08:18 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Sounds like it's time for a new clutch
Old 06-30-2015, 08:48 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Sounds like it's time for a new clutch
Yep, that would be the first thing I checked. But it could also be the compressor that caused the clutch to crap out, especially if it blew hot air first.

I know I can't live around here without it, sitting so low in traffic with the windows down doesn't help much with the road heat and the heat from other vehicles boiling in the windows.

Rick

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 air conditioner smoked

Quick Reply: 1989 air conditioner smoked