C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Electronic Flasher w/LED won't stop ticking

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 11:30 AM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
Are the parking lamps LEDs as well ? Do they still woek work without the parking lights on ?
Try putting back the stock parking/signal light bulbs,When I switched to LEDs up front,NOTHING but problemsWent back to stock and it all worked out
Old 08-27-2015, 12:35 AM
jrbollman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Electronic Flasher w/LED won't stop ticking

Are the parking lamps LEDs as well ? Do they still woek work without the parking lights on ?
Yes. It's when I turn on the parking lamps (1157 LED parking/turn) that the flasher stops working. The side lamps (1156 LED) come on, but the blinking stops. I will try going back to the 1157 element bulbs, but there should be a solution. I have studied the wiring diagrams but am having a hard time understanding how the parking lamps are tied into the turn signal light circuit. Could this be an application for the switch back LEDs have seen?
Old 08-27-2015, 12:40 AM
jrbollman
Instructor

Resistors?
Old 08-27-2015, 12:24 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by jrbollman
Resistors?
You would need to buy the LED bulbs with the built in resistors. Ebay speak is non error code.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:24 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I think you have a bad electronic flasher. Ive been running this mod for years in my 91 (6) to be exact and not a problem. Have you tried another double bladed electronic flasher? Here is the one I used.

Same here, the only problem I had was using LED front turn lights. They were brighter, but I needed the load resistor. Later on I bought them, and never got to do the mod.

If you are running LED bulbs on the rear, and not a LED rear kit, you will need to install a load resistor.

Here its how-to connect the load resistor.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:51 PM
jrbollman
Instructor

You would need to buy the LED bulbs with the built in resistors. Ebay speak is non error code.
Yes. I have the CANBUS LED bulbs. "FXPR 1157 BAY15D Red CANBUS Wide Angle 18 LED LP3963" and a "no load" flasher. Amber in the front. Works great, until I turn on the parking lamps.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:59 PM
jrbollman
Instructor

[quote=PLRX]

Same here, the only problem I had was using LED front turn lights. They were brighter, but I needed the load resistor. Later on I bought them, and never got to do the mod.

If you are running LED bulbs on the rear, and not a LED rear kit, you will need to install a load resistor.

My next step is to switch back to the bulbs in the front. If that fixes it I will install resistors. Should I install resistors on the parking lamp side or turn signal side of the circuit?

Thanks great ideas. I'll let you all know how it comes out.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:59 PM
jrbollman
Instructor

Everything works great with front bulbs replaced with OEM. Ordered resistors and will reinstall front LED Turns.
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2017, 05:48 PM
93Z07
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrbollman
I installed LED all around inside and out on my 96 w exception of headlights. My issue is the electronic flasher continues to tick under the dash even though the turn signals are not active. Everything works except this anomaly that sets of the turn signal alarm as if the turn signals had been left on. That said I did have to reverse the polarity of the electronic flasher for the emergency flashers to get them to work properly. Could it be as simple as reversing the polarity of the electronic flasher for the turn signals. All you Alls help is appreciated.
I just installed all LEDs and a new electronic flasher with a ground wire. The flasher is continuously ticking (like yours) while the ground wire is connected. What did you do to fix yours?
Old 01-29-2017, 08:04 PM
CCRed
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Before you go crazy.....

Most Auto parts stores sell resistors you can splice in the lines which will increase the load to the same as it was with the regular bulbs.

https://www.carid.com/lumen/led-load...-dcdr50w6.html

Last edited by CCRed; 01-29-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:40 PM
93Z07
Advanced

Originally Posted by CCRed
Before you go crazy.....

Most Auto parts stores sell resistors you can splice in the lines which will increase the load to the same as it was with the regular bulbs.

https://www.carid.com/lumen/led-load...-dcdr50w6.html

Yeah I know about the resistors. I really want to go with just changing the flasher.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:14 AM
CCRed
Racer

Just so you guys know....

The blinkers with the ground wire have a timer chip in them that requires 12v to operate. The chip gets its positive connection from the circuit but the ground must be connected for it to operate.

The only other thing I can think of is a dirty or worn turn signal switch. When that happens they can leak a small amount of voltage which might be enough to activate the blinker but not enough to power the lights. I would try cleaning the switch with something like DeOxit first.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:51 AM
93Z07
Advanced

Just so you guys know....

The blinkers with the ground wire have a timer chip in them that requires 12v to operate. The chip gets its positive connection from the circuit but the ground must be connected for it to operate.

The only other thing I can think of is a dirty or worn turn signal switch. When that happens they can leak a small amount of voltage which might be enough to activate the blinker but not enough to power the lights. I would try cleaning the switch with something like DeOxit first.
I wonder if anybody had any luck with the 2 terminal, no ground flasher that are specifically for LEDs?
Old 01-30-2017, 02:30 PM
CCRed
Racer

Originally Posted by 93Z07
I wonder if anybody had any luck with the 2 terminal, no ground flasher that are specifically for LEDs?
Pretty sure you need the same amount of terminals as the socket has.
These guys sell flashers that have the sound and some that do not.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehi...1455&year=1990

Note: One last thing to check is some vehicles have separate turn signal and 4 way flashers. If you have both, they both need to be changed.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:21 PM
93Z07
Advanced

Pretty sure you need the same amount of terminals as the socket has.
These guys sell flashers that have the sound and some that do not.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehi...1455&year=1990

Note: One last thing to check is some vehicles have separate turn signal and 4 way flashers. If you have both, they both need to be changed.
Mine came with 2 terminals. That's why I wonder why the replacement has 2 plus a ground wire.

Quick Reply: Electronic Flasher w/LED won't stop ticking