C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 01:31 AM
Mishawaka
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default New Shocks

I know I need to replace my suspension bushings(winter project) but ever since I've owned my 92 the front shocks have leaked some and don't really seem to do much whatever I choose with the selective ride. Can I replace them with regular shocks and if I can, is there anything I need to do to special as far as wiring, sensors, etc...?
Old 09-02-2015, 10:05 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Mishawaka
I know I need to replace my suspension bushings(winter project) but ever since I've owned my 92 the front shocks have leaked some and don't really seem to do much whatever I choose with the selective ride. Can I replace them with regular shocks and if I can, is there anything I need to do to special as far as wiring, sensors, etc...?
A lot of folks mention this but when your shocks are worn and leaking oil as stated above the Selective Ride Control (SRC) does not indeed work well.

The FX-3 is a very desirable option for our C4s and was standard on all C4 ZR-1s. The shocks are designed to increase and decrease oil in the shocks valving allowing for a Stiffer ride in performance mode and a softer ride in Tour mode and respond to the car as speed increases. I suggest you replace your shocks with new ones.

However to answer your question you can remove your FX-3 actuators and replace them with regular shocks. You will need to pin up the unplugged portion of the connectors and also need to pull the SRC bulb from behind the Drivers Information Center or DIC unless you want to look at error codes while driving or put a piece of black electrial tape over the DIC portion. Your mileage may vary
Old 09-02-2015, 11:35 AM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
You will need to pin up the unplugged portion of the connectors and also need to pull the SRC bulb from behind the Drivers Information Center or DIC unless you want to look at error codes while driving or put a piece of black electrial tape over the DIC portion.
It's much simpler to just disconnect the plug from the FX3 module in the compartment behind the drivers seat. That module is held on by velcro.

When you disconnect the rear actuators, make sure that the plug/harness does not fall down inside the frame rails.

Get notified of new replies

To New Shocks

Quick Reply: New Shocks