C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

timing stuck on retard

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 03:35 PM
bad87vette
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default timing stuck on retard

have a 87 when I checked my timing its showing way below the timing mark. I checked my TDC setting seems fine, pressure on #1 cylinder and hash mark aligned with TDC mark. I tried adjusting timing but engine starts to run rough on me. Need help could be my knock sensor, ESC or my ECM. Want to know which one is bad don't have much $$ to spare.
Forgot to mention I already replaced ignition module that is inside the distributor.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:15 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Is it showing up to the clockwise direction or counterclockwise direction of the timing tab? If it is showing up in the counterclockwise direction, then it is advanced, if in the clockwise direction, then it is retarded.

Are you disconnecting the EST wire when checking timing?

Are you sure that the balancer ring did not slip on the hub?

If the balancer ring did not slip, the EST wire was disconnected, and the timing mark was to the clockwise direction of the timing tab, then you need to advance the distributor to get it to go in the right zone.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:24 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

The timing will be 6 degrees below the tdc mark.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:07 PM
bad87vette
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
Is it showing up to the clockwise direction or counterclockwise direction of the timing tab? If it is showing up in the counterclockwise direction, then it is advanced, if in the clockwise direction, then it is retarded.

Are you disconnecting the EST wire when checking timing?

Are you sure that the balancer ring did not slip on the hub?

If the balancer ring did not slip, the EST wire was disconnected, and the timing mark was to the clockwise direction of the timing tab, then you need to advance the distributor to get it to go in the right zone.
Yes, it is in the clockwise direction and yes I disconnected the EST tab, I tried setting to advance but it starts to run rough. I have not done anything on as far as timing setting I just happen to have my timing light out of my tool box so I thought maybe I'll have a check on my timing. What's weird it runs good during normal run but when I accelerate I could hear pinging noise. I also borrowed my son-in-law timing light same issue. I'm not sure if the balancer slipped its in there pretty snug.

Get notified of new replies

To timing stuck on retard

Quick Reply: timing stuck on retard