C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Headlight bouncy bounce

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 04:51 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Default Headlight bouncy bounce

The headlights on my 92 go up and down fine but once the left one is open all the way, it has this small fluttering bounce at the end. Should I assume a gear replacement is coming ?
Old 10-23-2015, 06:30 AM
davewhtt
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scrappy76
The headlights on my 92 go up and down fine but once the left one is open all the way, it has this small fluttering bounce at the end. Should I assume a gear replacement is coming ?
A tooth missing in the gear will cause this and wont fix itself. One of the 1st things i did on my 93. Dave
Old 10-23-2015, 07:13 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

I don't know that I'd be so soon to condemn the gear but certainly the plastic inserts for h/l lift. There's numerous sources for the parts, fabricating your own and what not. Spending the price of the gear and the inserts might be overkill.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:47 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Try a clear bra.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:27 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Try a clear bra.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:48 PM
bigtoys
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I don't know that I'd be so soon to condemn the gear but certainly the plastic inserts for h/l lift. There's numerous sources for the parts, fabricating your own and what not. Spending the price of the gear and the inserts might be overkill.
If you're in there to do the inserts, doesn't it make sense to do the gears as well? There are numerous sources for brass or aluminum gears with inserts for less than 100.00. From what I've read, the labor involved would make it more than worth doing everything the first time.

I'm just curious, as I have a similar problem and have been advised that the gears need to be replaced.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:02 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by bigtoys
If you're in there to do the inserts, doesn't it make sense to do the gears as well? There are numerous sources for brass or aluminum gears with inserts for less than 100.00. From what I've read, the labor involved would make it more than worth doing everything the first time.

I'm just curious, as I have a similar problem and have been advised that the gears need to be replaced.
I bought the gears and the pucks only used the pucks. I would never use any type of metal gears! if it's going to tear up better the gear and not the motor!!!!! the pucks are made to wear out.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 10-23-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:10 PM
bigtoys
Instructor

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
I bought the gears and the pucks only used the pucks. I would never use any type of metal gears! if it's going to tear up better the gear and not the motor!!!!! the pucks are made to wear out.
Good to know and that makes perfect sense. the motor would be much more costly to replace! Thanks!
Old 10-24-2015, 11:24 AM
94corvetteC4
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bigtoys

I was told to just replace the pucks but like you I thought that if I'm going to take these motors apart I'm going to replace everything. I got the gears and pucks as a package deal off Ebay for $36 delivered. Don't use metal gears. The motor has a metal worm gear that turns the plastic gear. If you replace the plastic gear with a metal gear, brass, copper, aluminum or whatever metal it is made from that could cause wear on the worm gear more so than the plastic gear would. If you wear out the worm gear you are looking at replacing a motor rather than just a gear.

My only regret was not getting new gaskets for the cover you have to remove to access the gears and pucks. All the videos I watched and pics I have seen and feedback on here never suggested that new gaskets might be necessary. When I pulled the cover off both my motors the gaskets were already broken and missing sections. The previous owner had already done at least one over hall on the motors and destroyed the gaskets in the process. None of the dealers or parts stores had the gaskets in stock so I had two choices. Order the gaskets and not drive the car till they come in or RTV makeshift gasket. I went with RTV since at the time I had to drive the car and couldn't do so without the headlights.

The job isn't as bad as some make it out to be. It took me 1.5 hours start to finish to remove, repair and reinstall both headlights.

Last edited by 94corvetteC4; 10-24-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:05 PM
bigtoys
Instructor

Thanks for that feedback as well. It definitely makes sense that the headlight gear should be the weak point, and not cause undue wear to the worm gear. I guess I thought that either brass of aluminum would be soft enough so as not to damage the worm. Guess I will stick with plastic!

Also, glad to hear that the job took less than 2 hours. some of the videos I've seen make a root canal more appealing!
Old 10-25-2015, 05:41 PM
94corvetteC4
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Definitely stick with the plastic gear. My gears looked good but I replaced them anyway just for the peace of mind. The pucks however had turned to dust.

The passenger headlight had a few different parts in it than the driver side so expect that when you take them apart. Also the passenger side gear was hard to pull out. I was thinking that since it was a little different that maybe I had to do something other than just pull the shaft and gears out. Turned out that I just had to pull harder to get it out. I think I grabbed the shaft with pliers and just yanked it out. It was tight going back in also. I had to push hard on the gear to get it to snap back into the housing. Once the gear was back in it spun freely.

I found it was easier to put grease in the slots on the gear where the pucks sit and stick the pucks in there then put the gear with pucks back in the housing.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:22 PM
Chris**
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just did mine this weekend, pucks were toast, gears were fine. I would order the pucks and take a look first.

One thing i did not realize is that the puck kits are for one headlight so order two kits or confirm the kit comes with enough for both lights (6).
Old 10-25-2015, 08:26 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

you can get the pucks in the help section in part stores or I found six pucks on ebay cheap.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:36 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

I know its not alot of work, but if I am opening them up I will replace the pucks and gears. I will go with plastic. Do not want metal to metal and mess up a motor or motor gear.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:03 PM
bigtoys
Instructor

I know its not alot of work, but if I am opening them up I will replace the pucks and gears. I will go with plastic. Do not want metal to metal and mess up a motor or motor gear.
Thanks for all the helpful info. I think I would have made a mistake with the metal gears.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:28 PM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

30 minutes start to finish for one headlight. I removed the entire headlight/cover assembly. Piece of cake. Note; remove the 2 screws on the bottom first. I didn't know they were there and when I removed the side nuts the frame flexed and snapped. PC7 epoxy took care of it but just a precaution. I agree, get the gaskets. I broke one and didn't realize it till all was done. There is a little crack in one of the gaskets that I'll have to cover with RTV. Buy, do they work nice now.
PS, is it really a problem if there is a gap in the gasket? I din't see them getting soaked unless I'm in deep water.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:58 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Originally Posted by 73n95
30 minutes start to finish for one headlight. I removed the entire headlight/cover assembly. Piece of cake. Note; remove the 2 screws on the bottom first. I didn't know they were there and when I removed the side nuts the frame flexed and snapped. PC7 epoxy took care of it but just a precaution. I agree, get the gaskets. I broke one and didn't realize it till all was done. There is a little crack in one of the gaskets that I'll have to cover with RTV. Buy, do they work nice now.
PS, is it really a problem if there is a gap in the gasket? I din't see them getting soaked unless I'm in deep water.
Where do you live, you can do mine, lol.
I am ordering the parts today. Hopefully I will have by this weekend and I will knock them out.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:36 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Where do you live, you can do mine, lol.
I am ordering the parts today. Hopefully I will have by this weekend and I will knock them out.
If you've not ordered parts yet it might be wise to also purchase the mentioned gaskets. I believe it foolish not to BUT they certainly in many/most situations don't require replacement.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight bouncy bounce

Quick Reply: Headlight bouncy bounce