I'm Back with my new to me 1989 Z51

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 09:24 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by mcguirjf
Hi pologreen1,
My plans are a two way road with this build.

I want remain b-street for autocross next year.

I just sold off my 1992 Miata that was an automatic, 100hp! It was a great momentum car, but as soon as you lost momentum you were done. I did manage a 2nd place win in novice with it. It had 200k miles and only a set of Direzzas. I had an ride along with a veteran and noticed the wheel hop from the blown shocks.

The lesson I have learned from lemons is that if you want power and reliability, stay stock. The more you play (putting it nice) with things, the reliability goes to hell and you wind you wind up hating the car.

I have done multiple engine swaps and the LS path is great option, but everyone wants way too much for them.

I am thinking get it to run stock, enjoy it for what it is, and then move on to my initial intent which is a C5 Z06.

The mileage of the car is what had me sold, 56k miles. I figure just getting it to a reliable driver is a great win and not a huge loss of money.
repair, list, drive, sell. Good car, but not what you are looking for
Old 12-15-2015, 07:10 PM
mcguirjf
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Thanks Bruce

I love this forum.
Just spoke with Bruce (forum member) and a fuel rail is enroute. He is also getting me in contact with a fellow forum member here in CT for the damaged runner. Happy holidays
Old 12-15-2015, 09:10 PM
mcguirjf
Racer

Default Car view

I realized that I don't have a good over view picture of the car. Here is you go.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:23 AM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JD Shredds
^ I'll second that. At this point, why the hell not go 383 stroker?
It would cost a fair amount more for the additional parts and labor that would be needed... new crank and rods where he can probably re-use his originals with a stock stroke rebuild plus the extra work of notching the block that would be necessary to put a stroker crank in there. I'd also be tempted to put in splayed steel 4 bolt caps in there if I was going to build a stroker just to be on the safe side.

Last edited by softwarejanitor; 12-16-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:28 AM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Here is what the cylinder looks like.

That looks like a 60 thousands overbore would clean it up. 30 thousands probably not and 40 thousands pretty iffy...
Old 12-20-2015, 06:37 PM
mcguirjf
Racer

Default Engine install question

I searched, but came up empty.

How much can I assemble prior to dropping in the engine? Can I install long block? Do have to install short block and assemble heads and intake later? Best places to hook up cherry picker?

Status
Parts still at machine shop. Hopefully get a update before Christmas. I just hope I can get engine in before the snow falls.

I did a transmission upgrade on my 1994 F250 straight six from a Mazda 5 speed to a ZF S5-47 out of a one ton in February this year in my driveway, and it was the coldest February ever in CT. Not fun chiseling tools off driveway because they immediate froze to the ground upon contact.

Last edited by mcguirjf; 12-20-2015 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Clarify
Old 12-20-2015, 10:14 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Hey you're from connecticut too, glad to see another CT member! If the shop does a good job will you reccomend them? May need to use in the future for a rebuild on my engine. I hear snow's coming next week, we'll see if that's true or not but keep us updated!
Old 12-20-2015, 10:37 PM
mcguirjf
Racer

Default Hi Branden

Hi! Yes I read your thread on your build. Great job!

I highly recommend Accurate Machine. They have done a couple of engine jobs for me now besides my corvette. Rich is the owner and tell him Jim recommend you.

I hope the snow holds off.

I have all the parts staged for assembly. The excitement is killing me!

Yes, that is the back half of a Miata against the wall. The parts car to my last project / daily driver / autocross car.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:43 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Yes, that is the back half of a Miata against the wall. The parts car to my last project / daily driver / autocross car.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:12 PM
mcguirjf
Racer

Default Pulled the fuel pick up

Great news! Looks like when the car was stored they drained the tank and no signs of rot. I think I may pick up a new fuel pick up, but at least I don't have to drop the tank.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:17 PM
mcguirjf
Racer

Default Inside tank view

Not bad. Gonna reach in, wipe down, and fill will the good stuff.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:21 PM
Weck86
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Mine was about the same as yours, non runner, but good body. Blown head gaskets, water sitting in cylinders, motor out for machining. New fuel injectors from FIC. Gas tank looked the same too, spent a day cleaning the garp out, blew out the lines and put on new fuel filter and replaced the pump just because, no fuel problems since. Loving your build and dedication. Keep going but don't envy you doing so much outside. Lived in New Milford, CT for a couple miserable winters.
The following users liked this post:
mcguirjf (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 08:37 PM
mcguirjf
Racer

Hi Weck.
Wife and I have been looking for engineering opportunities down that way. I have to agree that it is just to cold up here, but the roads and racetracks out here are awesome. Who knows what the future holds.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:45 PM
Weck86
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Hi Weck.
Wife and I have been looking for engineering opportunities down that way. I have to agree that it is just to cold up here, but the roads and racetracks out here are awesome. Who knows what the future holds.
Hey man come on down, I could use another Vette head in my neighborhood. There are some pretty twisty and pretty roads in the hill country and west texas is pretty good for a 'road test at speed ' but have to admit the race tracks are few but autocross is big in some areas. Was about 79 today, slightly high for this time of the year but no snow as far as the eye can see.
The following users liked this post:
mcguirjf (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 08:52 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Miserable winter? It's going to be 68 on Thursday.

Last edited by Dt86; 12-21-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:40 AM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Originally Posted by Weck86
Hey man come on down, I could use another Vette head in my neighborhood. There are some pretty twisty and pretty roads in the hill country and west texas is pretty good for a 'road test at speed ' but have to admit the race tracks are few but autocross is big in some areas. Was about 79 today, slightly high for this time of the year but no snow as far as the eye can see.
I'm in the Austin area which is right on the eastern edge of the hill country... I'm a member of the Longhorn Corvette Club. We are a member club of the National Council of Corvette Clubs which is, amongst other things, a sanctioning body for Autocross. Our club holds at least one Autocross weekend event per year and we also participate in events held by other NCCC clubs and some of our members also participate in SCCA sanctioned Autocross. The Austin area is also home to the Circuit of the Americas which is one of the nicest and newest road tracks in the country. It is possible, albeit a little expensive to get time on the COTA track. If you are more into drag racing there are tracks in Temple and San Antonio which aren't too far.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:33 PM
mcguirjf
Racer

Default Thanks SJ for the heads up!

Got a call from the machine shop, and the numbers are...
10 mains
10 rods
30 cylinders

Ordered a forged kit from Summit, and hopefully dropping off at the shop tomorrow for balancing.

Waiting for a lot of parts, but unfortunately competing with left over Christmas deliveries.

Have digital display polarized lens and bulb kit, new Delphi fuel pump / sending unit assembly, gas fill rubber bucket, oil cooler line, passenger side tube runner all enroute.

What I love about these old finds is what's left in the car from the previous owner. The greatest find was in the aftermarket CD changer, Vixen, Motle Crew, Poison, Billy Joel, and Def Leppard.

Get notified of new replies

To I'm Back with my new to me 1989 Z51

Old 12-27-2015, 06:38 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

What I love about these old finds is what's left in the car from the previous owner. The greatest find was in the aftermarket CD changer, Vixen, Motle Crew, Poison, Billy Joel, and Def Leppard.
"One of these things is not like the others. One of these things does not belong."
Old 12-29-2015, 11:19 PM
mcguirjf
Racer

Default Dash Cluster Done

Here is a picture of the speedometer before replacing the cover.

Here is the finished product.

Great job Bryan Thompson on the new lens and bulbs! He also has multiple YouTube videos so there are no questions on how to do it. I highly recommend for refreshing the look of the gauge cluster.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:34 PM
mcguirjf
Racer

Default Fuel Injector Order placed

I am not going to even bother trying to see if the original Multec injectors will work. One of the most difficult issues to diagnosis is the fuel injectors. Just placed my order with FICInjector and a set of Bosch 3 rebuilds enroute for $179. Can't beat the price anywhere else. I was looking at the new Bosch 4 design (EV14), but not worth the extra $200. I did not see any reviews yet on these new injectors.

Where do you buy the two small o-rings that connect the fuel lines to the fuel rail assembly? Dealer item?

Last edited by mcguirjf; 12-30-2015 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Question

Quick Reply: I'm Back with my new to me 1989 Z51