Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Vented gas cap, or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 02:28 PM
exitwound
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The vent pipe that runs from the tank to the charcoal can rusts out as it is held in the brake pipe bundle down the sill. I dumped mine and replaced it with a roll over valve at the tank that allows the tank to breathe yet shuts off if I'm inverted. That pipe either rusts open or blocks and its easy to check.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:44 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I'd say your situation requires a visit with a "proper scanner". Intermittent, no lights etc. NOT ALL errors set "CEL" so you could maybe do some checks yourself using the DIC.

Procedure is outlined quite well here:

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011...trouble-codes/

Do you have the FSM?

The "correct scanner" is certainly the more effective - I've see CORRECT SCANNER spelled "SMART".
OP, this is the best answer you have got so far.

In fuel injected cars a bad gas cap WILL NOT cause it to starve for fuel. WE GAVE UP CARBS DECADES AGO PEOPLE GET OVER IT!!!!

I've NEVER seen a gas cap stick shut and not vent and form any kind of severe vacuum. Even if it did, your plastic lines and crap would break before it hurt the tank.

Your OBD2 tool not likely work with your 94.

OBD1 cars (pre-96) can run like crap and NEVER set a code. Post 96 cars can run like crap and not set a code for that matter.

If you don't want to throw parts at it you need to spend time and some money on:
1. Learning the system--> FSM
2. Investing in tools to do testing.
3. Doing the tests and reporting results so we can help you.

Option 4 is taking a WAG and throwing parts at in HOPES of fixing it.

Your choice.

As far as learning goes here is a free source. I also happened to create it.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:52 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Just a wag but your o2's are 20 years old. You have 3. I would replace the front two. I know some will not agree. But $50 worth of parts is maintenance. I agree that a good scanner would be better but will cost more. It is your car and your choice.

Quick Reply: Vented gas cap, or not?