C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

'92+ LT1/4 fuel filter service

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 10:18 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Default '92+ LT1/4 fuel filter service

STARTERS - I don't own an LT1 C4, have never owned one (neither a 'vert or a coupe). Have I changed a fuel filter on one? I'd think so but it ain't been recently and if I did it would have been on a lift with maybe "no issues".

I've seen it mentioned to remove from the top after release of the push-to-connect, I've seen mentioned to drop it to the bottom after release of the push-to-connect. Will this work on all years or is it maybe a '94+? Does the 'vert X-brace create issues? If a lift is available is it easier to accomplish from underneath?

I'm assuming that maybe it's all years but thought I'd ask. The feed line from the filter to the rail I would think is anchored along the way. Is it? Front wheels off the ground I'm sure and if you've specifics about disabling fuel pressure maybe include it.

I don't often see O-rings mentioned and most times when they are it's mentioned "generic" from AP store assortment. That just ain't right.

If I had one to do today I'd maybe use the search tool but for informational purposes "for all" I thought I'd just start a NEW THREAD.

Post year, coupe or 'vert and if you've maybe obstacles that could be encountered.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-27-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:58 AM
ColaBear
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalis4

Just did mine a couple of weeks ago.

1996 LT1 coupe.

Disconnected the quick couplers at the fuel rail on the manifold.
Removed the fuel line holder on the side of the heater box.
Disconnected the 2 lines on the lower side of the filter (filter to fuel tank side).
Plugged the main feed line into the filter with a small rubber plug. As it was, I still lost a couple of gal. of fuel. Use a catch pan.
Pulled the filter and lines up through the engine bay. (My filter was not tight in the frame clamp so it came right out)
Changed the filter from the main line and re-installed.

Notes.
Car was up on jack stands. Front only.
Removed the inner fender liner on the passenger’s side to help with pulling the lines with filter attached and to help with getting it back down into its holder on the frame.
The following users liked this post:
WVZR-1 (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 11:04 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ColaBear
Just did mine a couple of weeks ago.

1996 LT1 coupe.

Disconnected the quick couplers at the fuel rail on the manifold.
Removed the fuel line holder on the side of the heater box.
Disconnected the 2 lines on the lower side of the filter (filter to fuel tank side).
Plugged the main feed line into the filter with a small rubber plug. As it was, I still lost a couple of gal. of fuel. Use a catch pan.
Pulled the filter and lines up through the engine bay. (My filter was not tight in the frame clamp so it came right out)
Changed the filter from the main line and re-installed.

Notes.
Car was up on jack stands. Front only.
Removed the inner fender liner on the passenger’s side to help with pulling the lines with filter attached and to help with getting it back down into its holder on the frame.
The "notes" section is maybe the more valuable information. THANKS!!

That I'm assuming would work for '94+ coupes, now a post by a later 'vert owner and a couple maybe from '92/'93 owners.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:42 AM
DaCapt
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-27-2016, 12:24 PM
ColaBear
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalis4

@DaCapt,

I based my filter change on this video. He leaves a little out is spots but it was good enough to help get the job done. Didn't save the video because I don't plan on doing this again.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:58 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

The fuel filter replacement on the LT Vettes are a major PITA.

I have an idea on how to do a mod for it to be "clipped" on with quick fasteners like a new car. All the hardware is for sale by Dorman, and Russell.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:02 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

(without a lift) on my 96 LT1 coupe, in a nutshell, I disconnected the fuel line on the inlet side of the filter. I then disconnected the fuel line at the top of the motor, and slid the filter/fuel line assembly down and from the bottom, I then disconnected the discharge side of the filter. I could not get the fuel line/filter assembly up through the top. anyway, replaced the filter, and reverse order to reinstall. I would think the "x" or cross brace would cause an interference problem. I never thought it was a difficult job, in fact, I thought it was as easy, if not easier than an L98 car. BTW, I just used a generic disconnect tool (lisle 37000) for the fuel line disconnect -

Last edited by Joe C; 03-27-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:01 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

I just disconnect the bottom fitting (pinch off the fuel feed hose at the tank so it does not siphon, ASK me how I know) and then pull the filter up thru the top of the engine bay. I didn't have much trouble doing it that way. Then the top fitting is EASY to get to.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:22 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
I just disconnect the bottom fitting (pinch off the fuel feed hose at the tank so it does not siphon, ASK me how I know) and then pull the filter up thru the top of the engine bay. I didn't have much trouble doing it that way. Then the top fitting is EASY to get to.
I was hoping you'd stop by.

So ... "ColaBear" in his notes and description has it pretty well cover then maybe? Yours is a '93 so '92 would be the same.

Does a 'vert present any particular challenge?
Old 03-28-2016, 08:16 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX
The fuel filter replacement on the LT Vettes are a major PITA.
Not really...I wrote this up many many moons ago. Granted not as easy as today's cars, but I still got it done fairly quickly with little headache:

http://corvette.spectraaccess.net/vette/technical.htm
The following users liked this post:
WVZR-1 (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 08:56 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bac22
Not really...I wrote this up many many moons ago. Granted not as easy as today's cars, but I still got it done fairly quickly with little headache:

http://corvette.spectraaccess.net/vette/technical.htm
I had tried to access that info and link previously and it came up "invalid/not available" so I started this thread and thought you might stop in. I had emailed you also but didn't know if that worked or not.

Would you think the 'vert brace creates issues? I believe it's confirmed that all '92+ can be accomplished this way and then there's always the option to "drop it" to the bottom.

Thanks for stopping by

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-28-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:14 AM
jehuds10
Race Director

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

On my 95 vert I ended up dropping the X brace down for extra clearance issues. Didn't drop it completely but just hanging down for extra room. I had mine on a kwik lift, which made it easier moving around under the car but still a huge PITA.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:02 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I was hoping you'd stop by.

So ... "ColaBear" in his notes and description has it pretty well cover then maybe? Yours is a '93 so '92 would be the same.

Does a 'vert present any particular challenge?
No idea on the verts but with the x brace and knowing where it mounts...yes it will a PITA on those cars with the brace on.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:06 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

No one with a 'vert has checked in so it seems a 'vert owner could assume he may just need to loosen and drop maybe the right front some. Filter it seems is more easily "dropped" by some or "pulled" by some. I got a couple PM's that mentioned dropping and pulling but didn't respond to thread as they felt they were short on "the how I did it"!

The only thing that I saw no one mention is the O-rings for the Saginaw style fuel fitting. I've had GM's for years and always keep a 1/2 dozen or so of both part numbers around but I'd think it maybe a good idea to have some in hand "always".

Depending on the C4 there's only 2 numbers for supply and return.

Supply/return if yours is the larger diameter - GM 22514722 and if your return is the smaller diameter - GM 22516256

OE/GM/ACD or equivalent but NEVER "generic".

Retainers at the "push to connect", I'm familiar with the tool and procedure to remove but I'm going to try and get a hands on to check the assembly of.

It might be interesting to see if the GM 12522917 and 12522916 connector kits could be "cannibalized" if need be.

Get notified of new replies

To '92+ LT1/4 fuel filter service

Quick Reply: '92+ LT1/4 fuel filter service