C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1994 starter goes THUNK, lots of smelly white smoke Hydrolock

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 03:37 AM
Jodywitt
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1994 starter goes THUNK, lots of smelly white smoke Hydrolock

Went to start my 94 coupe and the starter made a loud THUNK, THUNK, THUNK each time I turned the switch. I waited till the next day and I got it to crank and crank and finally it would started - missing and running very poorly with lots of white smelly smoke from both tail pipes twice as much smoke from the driver's side tailpipe. The smell was so bad I had to change clothes and shower and air out the garage.

I was concerned as I read in several places about head gasket issues and worse. I saw something about hydrolock and learned it could be caused by water or fuel. The horrible smell made me lean toward excessive fuel, the dipstick was at normal level and the coolant tank contents looked normal. I replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator from NAPA for about $60. It's located under the fuel injector plastic cover on the driver's side close to the firewall. I has two O ring connections to a fuel and the driver's side rail and a vacuum line hookup. When I had removed the vacuum line fuel was coming out of the dry side. It was easy to replace and then with much difficulty and more loud starter THUNKS. I finally got it to turn over and start. It ran very poorly for a little while then it straightened out and the smoke cleared away. I changed the oil as I could smell fuel on the dipstick. and I drove it all day, no more problem - hooray!! Went from way stressed to happy happy in a couple of hours. I hope this experience might help some one else.

Jody Witt

Last edited by Jodywitt; 06-13-2016 at 03:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TorchTarga94 (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 10:52 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Might want to pull the plugs to see how they look.
Jodywitt (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 02:59 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Really glad it worked out okay for you. Hydrolock can do some serious damage!

Jodywitt (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 04:28 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

The "THUNK" you heard was the shock resonating through the piston, rod(s), crank, flywheel, and starter when the rotation is suddenly and violently halted due to the pressure.

Liquid (fuel or water) is incompressible. However, there is almost always a little air in a flooded cylinder on compression stroke, which could be compressed just enough to prevent damage to rings, pistons, rods, particularly if the only force is the starter. But, chances of having no damage go down hill fast if the motor fires up before the liquid is cleared.

The source of the liquid (fuel) may have been addressed. But, before I ran out to celebrate, I'd want to do a compression check. And, even if there's no indication of broken ring(s), damage may well show up as oil consumption and smoking.

Something broken. That would be my luck, but maybe you got really lucky. Hope so! And, BTW if it ever "THUNKs" like that again, STOP!! Pull all the spark plugs and then turn the starter to purge the liquid and ID the cylinder(s) and the liquid that is the issue.

Good luck!

Last edited by Paul Workman; 06-14-2016 at 04:33 AM.
Jodywitt (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 12:44 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

The symptoms you have listed indicate problems. White smoke is normally the result of coolant running thru the cylinders. More than likely a blown head gasket. Gas in the oil, a injector that is stuck open. The THUNK your getting NOT GOOD at all. You may think you have solved the problem, but I think it will occur again and soon. Watch what is going on. If you keep running with this condition, you may destroy your engine. BEWARE.
Jodywitt (06-14-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To 1994 starter goes THUNK, lots of smelly white smoke Hydrolock

Quick Reply: 1994 starter goes THUNK, lots of smelly white smoke Hydrolock