C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New Radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 02:01 PM
czarredd
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default New Radiator?

So it appears my radiator is rusted out inside and I need to replace it. Noticed temp rising more than usual and when I went to inspect....brown liquid (rust) had spewed out of radiator cap onto the engine. I've priced a stock radiator at $100 but was told that I should look into the Engineered Cooling Product radiator. The aftermarket is nice and is a 2-row but is it really worth the extra $150 or so....or is stock good enough? Thanks

Last edited by czarredd; 06-14-2016 at 02:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Christi@n (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 02:52 PM
blue94
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If it is not leaking or clogged up I would say it probably needs a good flush. The radiator has nothing that will rust, alum and plastic so the rust is coming from somewhere else (block, heads, water pump). Rust in its self will cause temp to go up.

If the radiator is bad and the stock one worked well I see no need.

Last edited by blue94; 06-14-2016 at 02:53 PM.
czarredd (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 03:00 PM
czarredd
Racer

Originally Posted by blue94
If it is not leaking or clogged up I would say it probably needs a good flush. The radiator has nothing that will rust, alum and plastic so the rust is coming from somewhere else (block, heads, water pump). Rust in its self will cause temp to go up.

If the radiator is bad and the stock one worked well I see no need.
Ok thanks. I believe the radiator may indeed be clogged...causing the back-up and rusty spew out. Does that sound likely?
Old 06-14-2016, 03:02 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by czarredd
So it appears my radiator is rusted out inside and I need to replace it. Noticed temp rising more than usual and when I went to inspect....brown liquid (rust) had spewed out of radiator cap onto the engine. I've priced a stock radiator at $100 but was told that I should look into the Engineered Cooling Product radiator. The aftermarket is nice and is a 2-row but is it really worth the extra $150 or so....or is stock good enough? Thanks
Unless you have modified your engine, like stroked it, done major head work etc. a 2 row OEM factory replacement is good enough. Over time the plastic ends tend to swell on these radiators anyway and the C4 is a well known nose vacuum that sucks in all types of road debris, like leaves, plastic bags and dirt, sand and silt that's builds up in between the cooling fins. I would suggest at a minimum to flush the radiator and pull it to hose off all the debris and clean off the front of the radiator as much as possible if money is tight. Since the radiator is already X years old I would suggest replacing it with the OEM replacement option, clean out the radiator bay area and load in plenty of new green stuff
Old 06-14-2016, 03:05 PM
blue94
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It is a pressurized system so unless the car sat and cooled down that could be normal.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:11 PM
czarredd
Racer

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
Unless you have modified your engine, like stroked it, done major head work etc. a 2 row OEM factory replacement is good enough. Over time the plastic ends tend to swell on these radiators anyway and the C4 is a well known nose vacuum that sucks in all types of road debris, like leaves, plastic bags and dirt, sand and silt that's builds up in between the cooling fins. I would suggest at a minimum to flush the radiator and pull it to hose off all the debris and clean off the front of the radiator as much as possible if money is tight. Since the radiator is already X years old I would suggest replacing it with the OEM replacement option, clean out the radiator bay area and load in plenty of new green stuff
Great thanks! Should I be worried about any the gunk that I'm seeing in radiator cap being in the engine? Will a complete flush handle that as well? Thanks so much.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:14 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Great thanks! Should I be worried about any the gunk that I'm seeing in radiator cap being in the engine? Will a complete flush handle that as well? Thanks so much.
If all you are seeing is gunk and rusty water then yes you should be a little concerned and a flush should take care of your problem. However the cooling issue still might be debris in front of the radiator blocking efficient airflow. You have a couple of areas to look into. Refill with 50% green coolant and 50% distilled water after cleaning. I suggest while you are there take your radiator cap to the auto parts store and have them do a leak test on it as well.

Last edited by Goldcylon; 06-14-2016 at 03:24 PM.
czarredd (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 03:22 PM
czarredd
Racer

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2016, 04:12 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Make sure you back flush the heater core to make sure it is not clogged there and pull your knock sensor (s) you will be surprise how much crap will be in there. Turn your head and keep your mouth closed.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:43 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Recently mine cracked. Replaced with OEM acdelco with plastic side tank for about 150$, at the moment work pretty well, when cruising temp is 180-190 F.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:52 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

The one thing you don't want to do for sure; is throw a brand new radiator in a dirty cooling system.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:28 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Make sure you back flush the heater core to make sure it is not clogged there and pull your knock sensor (s) you will be surprise how much crap will be in there. Turn your head and keep your mouth closed.
You need him to turn his head and cough too? Oh wait. Different test. Why do you keep spoiling the fun. I had to learn the hard way so let him learn what not to do.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:31 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Before I reinstall, I would take a garden hose, less the golf ball and send water through both the ports in the lower block. You'd have to take the Knock sensor off and there is another port that sends coolant to the oil cooler that has to come off too. Flush, drain, repeat until the thing comes out clean and then flush once more.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:16 PM
czarredd
Racer

So after lots or reading and you guys awesome wisdom.....I'm going to attempt a full super flush myself. My only concern is jacking car up and using jack stands....I've always been a little leary about there safety. Any alternatives to jack stands besides going to the shop and getting the corvette tax?
Old 06-26-2016, 06:21 PM
aklim
Team Owner

So after lots or reading and you guys awesome wisdom.....I'm going to attempt a full super flush myself. My only concern is jacking car up and using jack stands....I've always been a little leary about there safety. Any alternatives to jack stands besides going to the shop and getting the corvette tax?
I'm not sure how you would get the block level unless you put 4 jack stands otherwise if you flush it, the crud slips to the back of the block. I haven't had too many issues with the Corvette tax since I shop around and make sure that the book times are what they say they are or I walk.

I think a lot of shops that don't want to work on a car just simply tack a ridiculous number to get rid of the customer.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:29 PM
czarredd
Racer

Originally Posted by aklim
I'm not sure how you would get the block level unless you put 4 jack stands otherwise if you flush it, the crud slips to the back of the block. I haven't had too many issues with the Corvette tax since I shop around and make sure that the book times are what they say they are or I walk.

I think a lot of shops that don't want to work on a car just simply tack a ridiculous number to get rid of the customer.
Thanks...gonna do some serious shopping around!
Old 06-26-2016, 09:54 PM
aklim
Team Owner

BTW, check that your fans are operating right. I found that in stop and go traffic and 85 outside, the temp was approaching 240 or so. Thought that wasn't right with the DeWitts radiator so I checked the fans. Apparently the relay holder was not put in properly and the relays were not connected. Connected them and now the temps are midway in stop and go traffic. Must have been left out the last time the cowl was taken off for inspection and cleaning by the mechanic.

I'd fire the mechanic but since it is me, I'd give him a pass.

Get notified of new replies

To New Radiator?

Quick Reply: New Radiator?