Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Barely Avoided a 50 mph collision!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 01:33 PM
Ender85
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Barely Avoided a 50 mph collision!

I was driving home from school just now, cruising down the highway at speed limit (50 mph) when the car to my right decided to turn in. At the same time, a car was going to cross the road, but he couldn't see, because of the turning car. Anyway, he moved out slowly, and I had a hunch he'd go too far, and he sure did! I hit the gas and swerved, barely avoiding T-boning the old man in the lincoln... :blueangel:

I have a small problem with older (70+) driving. Their sight, control, and judgement are skewed and they make mistakes like this which could have hurt themselves and others. Does anyone else think we should have a yearly re-evaluation for drivers over 70 years old or so? There are plenty of them down here in Florida :sleep: behind the wheel :mad
Old 09-10-2002, 01:52 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Default Re: Barely Avoided a 50 mph collision! (marthpodi)

At least a road test every 2 years should be given. Also, depending on the results of the test, maybe issuing limited licenses like no night driving except in emergencies. Good luck getting it through. We can't even kill Social Security even though we won't get anything from it. Guess they didn't have 401ks but they should introduce measures to phase it out over time. To bad these things are sacred cows. :nopity :cuss
Old 09-10-2002, 02:21 PM
GiDvEtTe84
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone else think we should have a yearly re-evaluation for drivers over 70 years old or so?
:yesnod: I have almost hit many old people who just "go" and hope no ones comming. Very dangerous!!! :nono:
Old 09-10-2002, 02:30 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Barely Avoided a 50 mph collision! (GiDvEtTe84)

Does anyone else think we should have a yearly re-evaluation for drivers over 70 years old or so?

:yesnod: I have almost hit many old people who just "go" and hope no ones comming. Very dangerous!!! :nono:
Yeah, or having to go into an incoming traffic lane because the oblivious bastich next to you doesn't understand why you can't move over for his/her sudden urge to merge into YOUR SPOT.
Old 09-10-2002, 02:40 PM
Drewdog
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Barely Avoided a 50 mph collision! (GiDvEtTe84)

I have almost hit many old people who just "go" and hope no ones comming. Very dangerous!!! :nono:
:yesnod: :cuss
Old 09-10-2002, 02:46 PM
DarkHalo
Safety Car

Location: SCMR Rat Pack'r Charter Member, Inland Empire Chapter
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Barely Avoided a 50 mph collision! (Kale)

Yeah, or having to go into an incoming traffic lane because the oblivious bastich next to you doesn't understand why you can't move over for his/her sudden urge to merge into YOUR SPOT.
Had that happen on the way into work this morning. Then the dimwit didnt even look at me as I swerved and pulled alomgside. Pulled right into my lane without even the slightest attempt to look first. A blind spot I can see but I was dead on next to her which is how I know she didnt even make an attempt at looking first.
Old 09-10-2002, 02:53 PM
Ender85
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Barely Avoided a 50 mph collision! (DarkHalo)

perhaps thats why the drive those giant unweildy boats - if they swerve without looking, just about everyone has to get out of the way or be crushed...
Old 09-10-2002, 02:55 PM
slvrsrpnt
Racer

I had a very similar event happen to me last night. Was cruising around 50-ish and some dolt desides to stop half in the left lane and half in the turning lane. Voila.......a whole lane stops, I knew i would stop no problem.....it was the guy in back of me that had me worried. Luckily enough, he made use of the left turning lane and came to a stop parallel to me and the guy behind him came awfully close to nailing me still.
Another case of being that other guy's fault!
Old 09-10-2002, 02:56 PM
Ender85
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Barely Avoided a 50 mph collision! (slvrsrpnt)

wow....good thing no cars were actually damaged. I'm sure his insurance would have loved to pay for 4 totaled cars! :lol:
Old 09-10-2002, 03:01 PM
rocketfinger
Burning Brakes

Does anyone else think we should have a yearly re-evaluation for drivers over 70 years old or so? There are plenty of them down here in Florida :sleep: behind the wheel :mad
I was involved in a discussion about what to do about this some time ago and this is what we came up with:

A person's hand/eye coordination and reflexes need to be tested, so we figured after they completed their written re-examination, you'd throw something at them in a "think fast!" kind of way. This is fine for testing coordination and reflexes but does nothing to test their ability to make good decisions in a fraction of a second, also very important. We decided you'd have to throw something like a live squid at them and score as follows:

{edit] forgot one

They drop dead of a heart attack: Poor health - FAIL
Squid hits them in the chest, falls to floor: Poor reflexes - FAIL
They fumble the squid: Poor coordination - FAIL
They catch the squid: Poor judgment - FAIL
They deftly sidestep the squid and sucker punch the examiner - PASS

[Modified by rocketfinger, 7:04 PM 9/10/2002]
Old 09-10-2002, 03:15 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Barely Avoided a 50 mph collision! (DarkHalo)

Had that happen on the way into work this morning. Then the dimwit didnt even look at me as I swerved and pulled alomgside. Pulled right into my lane without even the slightest attempt to look first. A blind spot I can see but I was dead on next to her which is how I know she didnt even make an attempt at looking first.
Next time, if they have a reasonably nice car, I'm going to let them hit me.
Old 09-10-2002, 04:01 PM
Ender85
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Barely Avoided a 50 mph collision! (rocketfinger)

They drop dead of a heart attack: Poor health - FAIL
Squid hits them in the chest, falls to floor: Poor reflexes - FAIL
They fumble the squid: Poor coordination - FAIL
They catch the squid: Poor judgment - FAIL
They deftly sidestep the squid and sucker punch the examiner - PASS
:lol: :lol:

Good idea! Kale, are you sure you want to get rid of your car that badly?
Old 09-10-2002, 04:13 PM
rubyred93
Drifting

Default Re: Barely Avoided a 50 mph collision! (rocketfinger)

rocketfinger - that was very funny. :yesnod: Thanks for the laugh :lol: :D .
Old 09-10-2002, 07:31 PM
0TomLzzz
Former Vendor

Default Re: Barely Avoided a 50 mph collision! (Kale)

Anyone over the age of 60 should only drive bright red or yellow cars so we can see them coming.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:49 PM
GDP
Team Owner

In Texas there's a required yearly examination for people over age X, which I don't remember the exact number. :cheers:
Old 09-11-2002, 12:40 AM
Ender85
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Barely Avoided a 50 mph collision! (GDP)

wow...a reasonable law coming out of texas....wonders never cease...

j/k :lol:
Old 09-11-2002, 02:10 AM
1bad85
Melting Slicks

Location: livin life one hold my beer moment at a time Houst Tx

I absolutely hate people cutting me off and swerving into my lane. Im on the verge of road rage. Some man in an old beater s-10 came about 3 inches from ripping the fron end off my car and the year end off another car swinging through traffic. None theless my middle finger got a GOOD workout right next to him a minute later. I find this finger getting alot of exercise from idiot drivers well...driving like idiots and pissing me off.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:24 AM
STREETKNIGHT
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

This is probably not going to sit well with the vast majority of experts out here... :crazy:, but I think there ought to be mandatory retesting for ALL drivers from first issuance to final rest :blueangel: .
I'm a native Floridian and have had more than my share of close calls with the elderly drivers here. I have also had numerous close calls with punks, youth, and middleaged soccer mom's (and dad's) wandering down the road in thier land yachts and SUV (tanks) on the phone and oblivious to their surrounding! :mad
I've had these idiots run me off the road and turn in front of my marked police car and/or motorcycle. talk about Dolts!
Re-testing could be easily accomplished and moderately priced so no one gets hammered. Physicals could (and should) be required and could be done under an HMO/PPO?, and could be done within a 3-6 month period prior to renewal. Driving (hands on) test could be outsourced to local driving schools and scheduled at your convenience, again at a short period prior to renewal. Costs could be governed by the state. Unreasonable? Drivings a priveledge...deal with it.
Writtens are a waste of time and manpower. A trained monkey could accomplish a passing score on a state sponsored drivers test in Florida! Get rid of it! :jester
By the way, Pilots, truckers, bus drivers, are all required to pass/maintain certain requirements, so why shouldn't the rest of us?
Young, aggressive drivers are as much of a threat as the elderly...and there are as many of them as well. Take a young, poorly trained (ie:Drivers ed type) new driver with limited experience, put him/her in a vette, f-body or heck, even a ricer, turn them loose and watch what happens. I've cleaned up the mess :mad

Sooo... before we start attacking our elderly enmasse, we need to do a little reflection on the total problem.

If we restrict their driving privelege, are we going to take up the slack? How many of us will adopt some of the eastern philosophies and take them into our homes, help get them to dr. appts, and out for dinner/visits?

My dad is 90, can't see for crap and is dang near deaf as a doornail. Still has a D/L! If the suggestions above were implemented, he wouldn't. I moved him in with me 5+ years ago and remodeled my house to accomodate him. Take him to all the above appoointments, etc, and make sure he doesn't drive at night. Does this inconvenience me at times? HELL YEA!
BUT, did I inconvenience him in times past...? HELL YEA...!
He didn't complain and neither will I.

By the way...can lyou say AGE DISCRIMINATION? How about this: AARP!

Just a little food for thought before we ground all the elderly,

Streetknight
:seeya :flag

Get notified of new replies

To Barely Avoided a 50 mph collision!

Quick Reply: Barely Avoided a 50 mph collision!