Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 01:02 PM
Oceanbiz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 C4 antenna complete assembly replacement

Hi all
Happy Sunday.

I have a new antenna assembly on order since, even after changing out the antenna mast itself, it still does not go down all the way. ( Six inches of antenna still protrudes from the body ).

So, my question: What is the cable routing ? I can see the cabling going from the assembly over the body frame and it enters into the car, from what appears to be into or near the ABS compartment behind the driver seat. Where to from that entry point? When I open that compartment behind the driver seat, I do not see the cabling. Is it necessary to remove the entire tray that both compartment doors are hinged to ? Does the rear deck carpeting need to be removed ? I just cannot find the path for the cabling to the passenger side compartment. And where is the antenna relay located ?

Something tells me that the antenna assembly 3 wires goes directly to the relay but I do not know where to find the relay.

Thanks for you help.

Dan
Old 07-10-2016, 01:19 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

If you remove the plastic trim at the back of the window, you will see where the wires come thru the body into the interior. There are plugs in line back there so you can unplug the old and plug in the new.

This is a two person job....one under the car to fish the rubber grommet with the wires up to the hole and the other to guide and pull the grommet into the interior. Or with some imagination...small rope....fish the rope down from the interior onto the wires below......

Last edited by John A. Marker; 07-10-2016 at 01:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Oceanbiz (07-10-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 01:44 PM
Oceanbiz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 C4 antenna complete assembly replacement

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
If you remove the plastic trim at the back of the window, you will see where the wires come thru the body into the interior. There are plugs in line back there so you can unplug the old and plug in the new.

This is a two person job....one under the car to fish the rubber grommet with the wires up to the hole and the other to guide and pull the grommet into the interior. Or with some imagination...small rope....fish the rope down from the interior onto the wires below......

Thank you for your reply. Seems like a reasonably easy procedure.

Again, Thanks
Dan
Old 07-10-2016, 10:53 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

One person job just tie the wire or rope to it when you pull it out and use it to pull it back. A second person would help but not needed.
The following users liked this post:
CA1992C4 (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 11:27 PM
thunder1951
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Oceanbiz
Hi all
Happy Sunday.

I have a new antenna assembly on order since, even after changing out the antenna mast itself, it still does not go down all the way. ( Six inches of antenna still protrudes from the body ).

So, my question: What is the cable routing ? I can see the cabling going from the assembly over the body frame and it enters into the car, from what appears to be into or near the ABS compartment behind the driver seat. Where to from that entry point? When I open that compartment behind the driver seat, I do not see the cabling. Is it necessary to remove the entire tray that both compartment doors are hinged to ? Does the rear deck carpeting need to be removed ? I just cannot find the path for the cabling to the passenger side compartment. And where is the antenna relay located ?

Something tells me that the antenna assembly 3 wires goes directly to the relay but I do not know where to find the relay.

Thanks for you help.

Dan
I replaced mine this past March, If you pull the rear driver side tail lights out it will help with with the upper bolts, it took me about an 1.25 hr to remove and replace mine its a 94 also. I take pictures too just in case my memory messes up..you will also see the opening where the antenna lead and wires feed into the upper body grommet plug hole when the antenna lead and wires pass thru they come up and under the main rear trim that has 6 screws and the targa plastic release handle has to be popped off for the trim panel to come off then the wires and lead are just under some foam on rear driver side.

Last edited by thunder1951; 07-13-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:01 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Just pull the tire and the fender well.

Get notified of new replies

To 1994 C4 antenna complete assembly replacement

Quick Reply: 1994 C4 antenna complete assembly replacement