C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

A bit of dilemma, I need your input

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 12:14 AM
KyleBst264
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A bit of dilemma, I need your input

As I mentioned in off-topic, someone had reported my license plate number for going around a corner too fast. I found out that it was another thing instead, supposely somebody complained in the last 10-14 days that they saw my car going over 100 mph. I don't know if the complainer is a samaritan or law-enforcement officer. I know that was in this town in which the complaint was filed from in the last 10 days passing through on the highway, and I know I was not going 100mph, the fastest I went was
82 mph to pass an idiot doing 50mph in the middle lane. They also said I had a passenger; and I did not have a passenger. I am supposed to have a hearing at the registry for this. Any light that any of you guys can shed on this scituation is truly and deeply appreciated. Th
Old 09-11-2002, 12:42 AM
GDP
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: A bit of dilemma, I need your input (KyleBst264)

That's really strange, all I can say is that without evidence you cannot be convicted of anything. Good luck, and be sure to remind them that you are not the only person with a Corvette in this world. :cheers:
Old 09-11-2002, 03:21 AM
FASGLAS
Race Director

CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Sounds like someone in your area has a "BIG ONE" for either YOU, in particular, or Corvettes in general. Maybe both. It would seem that the "hearing" you're facing will allow you to find out who the compaintants are. If it's two different people, you'll have to cool it. If it's the SAME person, see my first line...Good Luck! :yesnod:

[Modified by FASGLAS, 1:21 AM 9/11/2002]
Old 09-11-2002, 07:49 AM
Jesse
Administrator

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Founder St. Jude Fundraiser

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
someone had reported my license plate number for going around a corner too fast. supposely somebody complained in the last 10-14 days that they saw my car going over 100 mph. I am supposed to have a hearing at the registry for this.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be honest with, I don't understand the problem. If it was a Law Enforcement Officer, he would have stopped you. If it was a civilian, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about. How can that person (being an untrained professional) estimate your speed and you face any type of punitive action? If you have a hearing at "the registry," then just say you were not speeding and ask your accuser to prove how fast you were traveling. Did he have a radar unit, what is his training and experience to determine vehicle speeds, did they pace you and if so, is their speedometer calibrated and certified...and why were they speeding. They can't. Don't admit you were going 85 to pass anyone. This case is going nowhere. Here is the line for you to practice...."I was not speeding" PERIOD. I wouldn't lose any sleep over this so go back to bed and relax. :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :cheers:
Old 09-11-2002, 08:07 AM
STREETKNIGHT
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07
Default Re: A bit of dilemma, I need your input (cor99vette)

(we need to change this sign!) Sounds like BS to me! Even if citizen was a trained former law enforcement officer, He'd still have to prove how he arrived at an accurate figure. Estimates generally don't do it. :yesnod:
As a thought, it could have been an off duty cop or one outside his/her jurisdiction, that had no lawful right to stop you (a city officer in the county, etc). Even then, he's going to have to show some type of proof. :yesnod:
What the heck is this "registry" thing? Sounds like a forum for a witch hunt :confused:
Do they have legislated enforcement powers? What can they do to you and do you have to appear?
If not...I'd probably tell 'em fughedaboutit! and not even waste my time :D
IF you do have to go, remember this old Internal Affairs Addage considered by any officer faced with an invest: ADMIT NOTHING, DENY EVERYTHING, MAKE 'EM SHOW PROOF!!! :D :D
Seriously, as said above...Don't admit speeding! :nono: Not even to pass :eek: .
If you are required to respond, I'd ask to see the "evidence" and for a description of the driver/passenger. How they got your tag, how they knew your specific speed...yada yada yada.
Don't lose sleep over it :cheers: :seeya
Old 09-11-2002, 12:30 PM
rocketfinger
Burning Brakes

Tell the judge your car appears to be travelling in excess of 100mph even when it's parked.

Visual estimates, even when made by law enforcement professionals, rarely hold water.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:36 PM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Slow down and don't worry about it..
Old 09-11-2002, 01:16 PM
Tx07BlackZ51
Safety Car

100 M.P.H. and someone got your plate, must have some REAL good eyes
Old 09-11-2002, 03:06 PM
85vetteguy
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

That is :bs . I have never heard of such a thing. That would not happen in MD. If that were the case everyone would just report people they were mad at for the hell of it. I don't think you have anything to worry about but it sure is a hell of a waste of your time. I would go just to find out who it was so I could kick their butt. Get their plate # and report them for running a stop sign or something. That is ridiculous! Guy
Old 09-11-2002, 03:41 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 225 Likes on 178 Posts

Kyle, you are entitled to review and challenge the "evidence" presented at the "hearing", so just stay loose.

SUGGESTIONS:
!. Present yourself in a dignified manner. Dress accordingly. A tie is not necessary, but recommended. Sloppy attire insults the Court.
2. Do not admit to "anything", even being on the road that day. A typical answer would be: "I don't recall", or "I don't remember", but don't knowingly lie. Being evasive is not lying, but don't be cute or coy with your answers.
If you are asked if you remember "passing" your accuser on the road, your answer is "I don't remember, and if I did, it would have been at the legal speed limit".
3. Don't lose your "cool", be polite, and no "smart-aleck" corvette comments.
4. If you have a "clean" driving record, bring a print-out from the DMV. If your record is not "clean", keep your mouth shut.
5. Be attentive to the accusations, and take notes.
6. If you were in Calif., I would advise you not to speak ENGLISH.

I'm here to help, if I can.......................Don

Old 09-11-2002, 04:29 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just play cool. The fact of the matter is without proof they cannot do anything. Use the above suggestions.

Dress appropriately and be curtious. If they ask you specific questions give them vauge answers. Don't lie, just don't tell them ANYTHING you don't specifically ask for.

If they say you were traveling at 100 mph ask them to prove it. Unless somebody has a radar gun and a camera you're fine. If they claim that they paced you, kindly ask the court that you would like to report THEM for speeding. If they were standing still there is no way they got your license number.

Here's an idea. In the area they claim that you were speeding, figure out the speed limit. Then figure out if they were going the speed limit exactly how much time it would take for you to overtake them and be out of site. IE if you are going 100 and they are going 85, would they have time to get your plate? Have a printout of all the different speed combinations, let them know that in order for them to see you doing 100 they had to be speeding themselves.

Even if it's a law enforcement officer without proof they can't get you for speeding. They might try some other crap, but speeding will never hold up.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:20 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 225 Likes on 178 Posts

At your hearing, be prepared to be confronted with a sworn affidavit testifying to your traffic infractions. The accuser may, or may not, be in attendance. There may also be supporting statements provided by witnesses. The accuracy of your speed is not an issue. You can/will be charged with reckless driving. Any off-duty cop can note your license number, go home and record every violation he feels fits the event, and submit a citation to the Court. It is going to be your word against your accuser(s). The magistrate (judge) will weigh the testimony presented and make a recommendation to dismiss, or direct the process to traffic Court. If the accuser has creditable witnesses willing to testify, and the magistrate favors their testimony (written or verbal) you are going to be assessed a fine relevant to the violation cited.

Old 09-11-2002, 10:57 PM
Bob88Convertible
Burning Brakes

Default Re: A bit of dilemma, I need your input (STREETKNIGHT)

What the heck is this "registry" thing? Sounds like a forum for a witch hunt :confused:
Registry in Mass. is Registry of Motor Vehicles, same as Division of Drivers Licenses in Fla or whatever they call it in other states.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:44 PM
KyleBst264
Safety Car

OK, here's where this story ends, and HAPPILY at that. I recieved another call today, an apology from the RMV. They had accidentally reversed the last two digits of another car that had their plate reported, and it happened to me my plate with the last 2 digits reverse. The car reported was coincidentially another Chevrolet car. So my plate was never reported in the first place. It was all a big mistake on the RMV's part. Man, I am relieved. I'm glad this is over with. Thank you guys for your advice during this scituation.
Old 09-13-2002, 04:44 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

Default Re: A bit of dilemma, I need your input (Bob88Convertible)

Do not admit to anything. Wasn't that the day you lent the car to your mother-in-law???? O r was it the day you had several friends take it for a test drive????

Get notified of new replies

To A bit of dilemma, I need your input

Quick Reply: A bit of dilemma, I need your input