Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

If I change exterior color on a ZR-1, how does that impact resle value?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 09:57 PM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default If I change exterior color on a ZR-1, how does that impact resale value?

This black ZR-1 needs a paint job and is in the For Sale section here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...500-miles.html
If I bought it and changed the exterior color to 'White Diamond' (a GM color that I absolutely love), how do you guys think that would affect resale value????

Thanks

Last edited by Chevy-SS; 08-06-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:07 PM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

If it's repainted properly it won't hurt that much because they aren't bringing much money anyway even if all original and low miles. It's sad but true I know I've got two of them.

The following users liked this post:
Chevy-SS (08-06-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 10:20 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

^^^^
Dont worry about it just enjoy
Old 08-05-2016, 11:23 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Its worth more with bad paint.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:19 AM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Show us a picture of the metallic white when you are done. I think that color would be unique.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:20 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy-SS
This black ZR-1 needs a paint job and is in the For Sale section here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...500-miles.html
If I bought it and changed the exterior color to 'White Diamond' (a GM color that I absolutely love), how do you guys think that would affect resale value????

Thanks
I think a good paint job is better than a poor one when it comes to value. Big thing relating to value depends on the buyer. If they don't mind then it's good, if they don't it's bad.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:45 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,946 Likes on 4,785 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

what you will pay to have it painted will not increase the cars value by the amount
Chevy-SS (08-06-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 09:13 AM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
what you will pay to have it painted will not increase the cars value by the amount
Yeah, this is a big problem. Seller likely won't want to discount price enough to offset paint job.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:29 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

w/ others; new paint = more than poor condition original. (Unless you intend to enter it at shows in the "Survivor" category...IDK.)

I love that color too! (Our new Buick Enclave is painted "White Mist", and it is (to us) gorgeous! Drawback? Danged hard to see in the fog!!)

Costs:
  1. Most expensive: turn-key job involving a change of color! $10-$11k is not out of line for a professionally done paint job. Could be more if it is to be a "show car" as getting it (better than factory) "perfect" take more man hours with a buffer and elbow grease.

2. Least expensive: You prep/prime, they shoot it the same color, sans door jambs*, etc. You reassemble. The cost could be as little as 1/3 that of a full turn-key, custom paint job - depending on the cost of the material (paint).

*Note: The door jambs can be omitted (not painted) IF the colors match. But, going from black to white (for example) increases the labor (yours and theirs) significantly.

Ask you painter about the PPG "single stage" paint. BMW and some other manufactures are now using it - single stage b/c there is NO clear coat. It is beautiful! (People are always remarking on how it looks. But, the best one ever was unsolicited - me standing away at some distance - when I notice a group of fellow Corvette drivers walking across the parking lot. (It was at the hotel during a C4 gathering in Bowling Green.) The 3 of them, walking past all the Vettes in the lot suddenly stopped at mine and walked around it to look it. As they regrouped to continue on their way, one remarked, "That's the best one on the (parking) lot"! [Thanks, Brett, for the paint recommendation!])
Chevy-SS (08-06-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 09:44 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Your car, If you plan on driving it do what you want. I'm afraid to say but in our lifetime we will never see the value in high numbers. I did not buy mine as an in vestment I drive them any chance I get. Got 1 with 9k miles now 15 years later over 50k the other with 26k a few years back just hit 32k yesterday.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:12 PM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
.....Most expensive: turn-key job involving a change of color! $10-$11k is not out of line for a professionally done paint job. .... .
Those are pretty much the exact numbers I had in mind. Most people can't believe it would ever cost that much, but I was thinking ~$10k all day long - which totally kills the deal for me. I'm not that desperate to own an over-priced car.

Thanks

Last edited by Chevy-SS; 08-06-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:42 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

It's your car, do what you want with it to make you happy. There is no price on happiness. I've put kazillions of dollars into my C4 bracket car. It's not worth much, but it gives me great pleasure.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:15 PM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Originally Posted by 383vett
It's your car, do what you want with it to make you happy. There is no price on happiness. I've put kazillions of dollars into my C4 bracket car. It's not worth much, but it gives me great pleasure.
Well, your situation is much different than mine. You have built up your car for a specific purpose, to facilitate an enjoyable hobby, so it's understandable that you would sink "kazillions of dollars" into it.

For me, I'm looking for a decent driver that I can take out and enjoy in the nice weather. Any 'happiness' that I get from those cruises would be reduced if I had vastly overpaid for the car in the first place.

I've had two wonderful Vettes so far, a C5 and a C6, both purchased at reasonable prices, driven with great satisfaction for a few years, and then sold at fair pricing to someone else.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:40 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy-SS
Well, your situation is much different than mine. You have built up your car for a specific purpose, to facilitate an enjoyable hobby, so it's understandable that you would sink "kazillions of dollars" into it.

For me, I'm looking for a decent driver that I can take out and enjoy in the nice weather. Any 'happiness' that I get from those cruises would be reduced if I had vastly overpaid for the car in the first place.

I've had two wonderful Vettes so far, a C5 and a C6, both purchased at reasonable prices, driven with great satisfaction for a few years, and then sold at fair pricing to someone else.
Understood. I bought my 84 new and don't intend to sell it so the kazillians goes back to me. In the meantime, I have had a C5Z, C6Z and now a C7Z. I make a few mods to those cars, just bolt ons so when I sell those, I don't take too much of a bath.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:51 PM
OzyC4
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you don't like black, keep looking for a good white car. A good paint job here in Oz is $20K, so unless it's an exceptional car, I will look at all other cars except white ones which I reckon is a boring colour and doesn't belong on a sports car.
I'm not crazy about red either, having just owned a Candy Apple Red Mustang for 5 years and a red TR7 before that.
Something blue, black or green would suit me.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:57 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

If it is the GS theme it will go up in value.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:15 AM
95tealconvert
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

Changing color on any car requiring repainting all the jambs can increase the cost of the job by as much as 20% or more. The other thing I would consider is if a car you are wanting to purchase needs to be repainted I would guess there is a good chance that it has been exposed to the elements more than average and might also need new rubber seals and interior work. Replacing and or refreshing a Corvette that has been left out in the elements can quickly cost more then the market value of the car.
Chevy-SS (08-07-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To If I change exterior color on a ZR-1, how does that impact resle value?

Old 08-07-2016, 11:15 AM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Originally Posted by 95tealconvert
Changing color on any car requiring repainting all the jambs can increase the cost of the job by as much as 20% or more. The other thing I would consider is if a car you are wanting to purchase needs to be repainted I would guess there is a good chance that it has been exposed to the elements more than average and might also need new rubber seals and interior work. Replacing and or refreshing a Corvette that has been left out in the elements can quickly cost more then the market value of the car.
Yes, great points! These are critical issues, no doubt..... thanks....

I wasn't really considering this enough, but now that I dwell on it, I can see the relevance of this advice. I see folks on here asking opinions and advice about buying all the time. These tips from 95tealconvert should be included in a sticky or something. Case in point being the car I was originally thinking about in first post, the paint is bad, but so is headliner, plus it's got oil leaks, and that likely means all sorts of other issues have been neglected.

Damn, I'd give two 'Thanks' to 95tealconvert if I could!

Last edited by Chevy-SS; 08-07-2016 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:40 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 172 Likes on 149 Posts

my 90 ZR-1 needs paint, but also it is not 100% original, it wasn't when I got it. Due to that I have slowly been making the car how I want it. I just wish I was able to drive it and enjoy more than I am able to..

meaning, I did not buy the car to expect the value to increase, I bought it to have fun with
Old 08-09-2016, 08:57 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

polos recommendation isnt a bad idea
Do the white in GM Summit white, the AB with a hint of pearl or slight metallic, someone would dig it best of both worlds. Give it some stance, some exhaust, done.

Quick Reply: If I change exterior color on a ZR-1, how does that impact resle value?