C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Running Hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 05:44 PM
aroulette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Hot

I just had the engine flushed yesterday and still seems to run close to hot red when in traffic. Also, sweat in car while operating with top off. Granted its hot outside but my rear and lower back sweat its so hot. Is this heat from seat common? Also, what do you suggest to get car to run cooler?
Old 09-12-2002, 06:02 PM
Ender85
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Running Hot (aroulette)

Water Wetter, and clean your radiator...
Old 09-12-2002, 06:08 PM
Charlutz
Racer

How many miles are on your vette? The reason I ask is that the radiator could be clogged (from the outside) over time. Lots of garbage gets trapped in the plenum between the AC condensor and the radiator and prevents the radiator from working properly. No amount of radiator flushes or thermostat replacements will fix it (if this is the problem). Go to the tech tips section for c4's (tab at top of page) and click on the "how to remove and clean your radiator" tip to get a better explanation. It is about a half day job, but well worth it. One warning, I did this job on my 150k '86 and pulled out enough leaves, stones, plastic, feathers (two kinds) and mystery material to fill half a plastic grocery bag. It fixed my car great... for two days. Apparently, I had 2 leaks in my radiator that were not leaking because they were clogged with dirt. I cleaned out the dirt, and they leaked. A lot. :eek: I've been told this is actually common. I am now doing a radiator replacement ($150 for the part) and am in a better position, but as my car is my daily driver, it's been inconvenient. I will be happy to talk you through the cleaning procedure if you need it but the tech tip is quite good. Some of my bolts required slightly different sized sockets and wrenches than specified in the tech tip, but other than that, it's a good recipe. :cheers:
Old 09-12-2002, 06:10 PM
Siveck
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Also, air can get trapped in the system. The air will go to a high point in the cooling sytem and block the flow of coolant, causing your car to overheat. Newer cars have bleeder valves near the thermostat to bleed air from the system. When the system is cool, open the radiator cap to make sure there is plenty of coolant. Crank car, add coolant, and replace cap. It may help to have the car on ramps to elevate the front. Make sure there is always some coolant in the reservoir- if not, then the system will suck air in through the reservoir when it cools.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:17 PM
red-y
Drifting

I had the same problem after flushing. The only cure is to pull the radiator and have it back flushed. Somehow when you flush it it gets worse. Sorry to bring you the bad news but this is what you need to do. :yesnod:
Old 09-12-2002, 11:50 PM
aroulette
Instructor

But it only gets hot in stop and go traffic. Never on the freeway
Old 09-13-2002, 09:31 AM
STREETKNIGHT
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Checked your fans? Might try a fan switch to turn it on manually. Agree with the others though...a thorough cleaning won't hurt.

The interior...top off heat...yea, pretty normal per my own experience. Whenever I remove the top, regardless of the AC, I sweat my backside off! :yesnod:
Leather or cloth seats?
Might try a cloth cover or the Okoles (I think thats the way it's spelled).
I had cloth originally and switched to leather...swithching BACK to cloth
Good luck
:cheers: :seeya :flag
Old 09-13-2002, 01:42 PM
Bones LT1
Pro

How hot is hot?
They all get hot in stop and go. No air flow. The fans don't come on till
200 plus. My 93 has a thermo master chip and a 160 thermo. It never goes over half gauge in stop and go. The chip turns the fans on after 180 degrees. If your in the red you have a problem. Turn the air on it will run the cooling fans. Check to see if they're running with the air on/off.
220 is average in stop and go. 260 is critical.

Cleaning the radiator?
My car with 96k has nothing in front of the radiator in the form of trash, dirt, etc. It wouldn't hurt to look though.
Feel the hoses, top hose should be a little warmer than the bottom hose, only do this when the car is warming up.
HTH.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:49 PM
aroulette
Instructor

Default Re: Running Hot (Bones LT1)

My car is consistantly running about 230-240 if I had to guess. I ran by the dealership and he stated that these cars ran this temp. Also, if I sit still for longer than a couple minutes it starts getting into the red.

Old 09-13-2002, 02:37 PM
jeepie91
Racer

Remove your radiator (or have it removed) and clean the fins out. Just because there is not much junk visible between the rad and A/C coil does not
mean that the fins are clean. My car was running that hot too, with 40k miles, mine looked pretty clean but was more that half blocked when a light
held behind it on the work bench. Cleaned it, and had chip programmed to have both fans come on at 180 and off at 170, installed a 160 thermostat
now my temp gauge never goes to halfway, it used to be close to being pegged.

Get notified of new replies

To Running Hot

Quick Reply: Running Hot