Corvette America Rear Hatch Weatherstrip Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 05:05 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Corvette America Rear Hatch Weatherstrip Install

Here's a link to the product I bought.

I grabbed some shots of the new weatherstrip. It took me about an hour to clear the old and install the new.

Total cost was $150 with shipping. I may have clicked through and added the default shipping, as I don't recall getting an option. Twenty for shipping seems excessive.

Instructions were clear and covered the total install. No information on what to do from there. Silicon? Park in the sun??

I measured the round part of the "D" wrong, but repositioning it was a breeze. And I used the dielectric silicon heavily in the new corners.

The swap revealed a failing, arcing connector for the rear defroster.

We'll see how they hold up, but I'm very impressed so far.

Attached Images         

Last edited by Renfield; 10-12-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:50 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

Corners look out of shape(flatened),do they seal out water? What is that clip you show in photo#6?
Old 10-12-2016, 11:55 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by A Peter C4
Corners look out of shape(flatened),do they seal out water? What is that clip you show in photo#6?
Thats the connector for the defroster as the OP indicated.

Looks as though you need to stretch the seal a bit to relieve the tension in those corners. Those should be square and not puckered.

Have you tried a search in this forum on "hatch seal" ?
There's a lot of tips and tricks here to choose from
Old 10-13-2016, 07:33 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Try again.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:54 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Try again.
Ouch!

Agree, it looks a bit off. But I don't consider it a do-over. Definitely an improvement over what I had.

I stretched it in place according to the instructions provided by Corvette America. Looks to me like the Halo portion could stretch down a little further. I'll search and see what others have done. JRC, did any of the others install this brand? Everything I found was about Steel Rubber or Wilcox. Both of which are apparently now junk.

I haven't given it the hose test yet. It interacts really well with the glass though.

I'm no longer embarrassed to open the hatch. Except around antfarmer2.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:06 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by Renfield
Ouch!

Agree, it looks a bit off. But I don't consider it a do-over. Definitely an improvement over what I had.

I stretched it in place according to the instructions provided by Corvette America. Looks to me like the Halo portion could stretch down a little further. I'll search and see what others have done. JRC, did any of the others install this brand? Everything I found was about Steel Rubber or Wilcox. Both of which are apparently now junk.

I haven't given it the hose test yet. It interacts really well with the glass though.

I'm no longer embarrassed to open the hatch. Except around antfarmer2.
I do not know how they told you to do it but have done countless differant weather stripping in the factory. First I woul clean it better then start in the corners get them set right then find the center top and bottom and set then set half way between and keep doing that till it is done. Are your window shocks on right or upside down?

Last edited by antfarmer2; 10-13-2016 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:21 AM
Renfield
Drifting

I do not know how they told you to do it but have done countless differant weather stripping in the factory. First I woul clean it better then start in the corners get them set right then find the center top and bottom and set then set half way between and keep doing that till it is done. Are your window shocks on right or upside down?
Thanks, antfarmer. Will do. This is what I find so puzzling about their installation instructions. The easiest, surest points to find are the corners. They had me measure for the center on both sides of the WS and the car.

The "fat" ends of my struts go up with the glass.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:31 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 122 Posts

It is a shame none fit properly. Someone get to the manufacturer to cut them properly. If all would not accept the poorly done ones they would be forced to correct them or quit making them.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:19 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Thanks, antfarmer. Will do. This is what I find so puzzling about their installation instructions. The easiest, surest points to find are the corners. They had me measure for the center on both sides of the WS and the car.

My eyes must be playing tricks on me. In your pic it looks like one is upside down.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:15 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

You need to do it over. The channels need to be clean. No glue or measuring needed. Put the corners in as tight as you can and then just work the stripping in a little on each side until complete in the middle
Old 11-16-2016, 05:51 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

That weatherstrip is the new CRC brand rear hatch. We just did the same install and after the fact, we made new kits up for All CRC kits, the thing is awesome. It's molded in the corners and I really don't see it failing like the other brands. We also put this in our all new 100 percent crc made weatherstrip kits for the c4 coupes

Hatch https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...r-hatch-84-117
84-89 Kit https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...upe-sale-26684
90-96 Kit https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...96-coupe-26684

And the kits are eligible for the sale code we are running at this link.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ouncement.html

Willcox
Old 11-16-2016, 06:51 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
That weatherstrip is the new CRC brand rear hatch. We just did the same install and after the fact, we made new kits up for All CRC kits, the thing is awesome. It's molded in the corners and I really don't see it failing like the other brands. We also put this in our all new 100 percent crc made weatherstrip kits for the c4 coupes

Hatch https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...r-hatch-84-117
84-89 Kit https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...upe-sale-26684
90-96 Kit https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...96-coupe-26684

And the kits are eligible for the sale code we are running at this link.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ouncement.html

Willcox
so are you going to replace all the crap hatch striping you sold us
for the last few years?

Last edited by Cruisinfanatic; 11-16-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:43 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
so are you going to replace all the crap hatch striping you sold us
for the last few years?
I can't I'm sorry, your dealing with two different manufacturers.

The last rear hatch weather-strips were not crap, it was the best there was available at the time and that's all I can present. The new one from CRC is a better design than the OEM and all others that have preceded it.

I've complained for thirty years about this issue and no one would listen. I don't make the rubbers I just try to present to you the best there is at the time it's available.

In all fairness you seem to hold the reproduction people to a higher standard in regards to the same issue being present in the OEM GM manufactured which had the exact same issue with the corners splitting when the cars were new.

My shop has been re-gluing corners for customers as a courtesy since 1986 and I know this issue with the corners didn't start with the reproduction weatherstrip. My post here was to be one of informative information and all I'm trying to state is there is now a better solution.

As far as the glue, the original cars used a tan colored "No Dry" compound around the welting channel, this was to make sure that it never dried out and stayed sealed. Does it need to be removed.. NO.. in-fact if you need more, this product is available in from 3M in a gray compound that is called "Auto Bedding Compound"! My shop years ago nicknamed it "No Dry" because it never dries and can be an issue if you ooz. The issue with this auto bedding compound and the original stuff is you when you spread it you need to make sure you tape off because it's a beast to get off and anyone (or thing) that touches it will get it on them if left exposed.

I've probably installed 100 plus of these weatherstrips in the last 10 years and IMHO, i'ts more important to make sure you have it centered on the rear halo and the rear shelf than it is to just jamb it into the corners for pot luck. Centering makes sure you have the same gap on both sides and no issues with the rear deck area.

IMHO,

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 11-16-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:24 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Wrong!!! You put the corners in first then center top and bottom then center of that and so on. I have done hundreds before lunch. The only time you center it first is when you do not have any distinguishable points of install. And there will be a center mark from the manufacturer. They will do it your close to your way in the factory. But they know what they are doing and only not to spread that snot grease

Last edited by antfarmer2; 11-16-2016 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:04 AM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

They look deformed a bit in the corners, who rejects the bad ones. Can you take a pic a little further back please.
I had a few bad times now with them and I would send it back for a new one.
Actually if I can have this one in the ad I would buy one too.

They tried to tell me their bronze door panels were the factory color well take a look-

I'm done

Last edited by xrav22; 11-17-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:00 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Wrong!!! You put the corners in first then center top and bottom then center of that and so on. I have done hundreds before lunch. The only time you center it first is when you do not have any distinguishable points of install. And there will be a center mark from the manufacturer. They will do it your close to your way in the factory. But they know what they are doing and only not to spread that snot grease
Exactly.
But the experts would have to do the install video all over, lol

Last edited by Cruisinfanatic; 11-17-2016 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:34 AM
Renfield
Drifting

The last rear hatch weather-strips were not crap, it was the best there was available at the time and that's all I can present. The new one from CRC is a better design than the OEM and all others that have preceded it.

I've complained for thirty years about this issue and no one would listen. I don't make the rubbers I just try to present to you the best there is at the time it's available.

In all fairness you seem to hold the reproduction people to a higher standard in regards to the same issue being present in the OEM GM manufactured which had the exact same issue with the corners splitting when the cars were new.

My shop has been re-gluing corners for customers as a courtesy since 1986 and I know this issue with the corners didn't start with the reproduction weatherstrip. My post here was to be one of informative information and all I'm trying to state is there is now a better solution.

As far as the glue, the original cars used a tan colored "No Dry" compound around the welting channel, this was to make sure that it never dried out and stayed sealed. Does it need to be removed.. NO.. in-fact if you need more, this product is available in from 3M in a gray compound that is called "Auto Bedding Compound"! My shop years ago nicknamed it "No Dry" because it never dries and can be an issue if you ooz. The issue with this auto bedding compound and the original stuff is you when you spread it you need to make sure you tape off because it's a beast to get off and anyone (or thing) that touches it will get it on them if left exposed.

I've probably installed 100 plus of these weatherstrips in the last 10 years and IMHO, i'ts more important to make sure you have it centered on the rear halo and the rear shelf than it is to just jamb it into the corners for pot luck. Centering makes sure you have the same gap on both sides and no issues with the rear deck area.

IMHO,

Willcox
So you are selling the same product as Corvette America now?

I posted to alert others about this new design. There was much hand wringing over your prior offerings.

I am very pleased with mine so far. Although no one here seems to care for my install, it works a treat. No leaks at all. And the corners don't grab like the old design. I can use the hatch without cringing.

Mine is a DD, not a garage queen show car, so I'm good. Way too many other things to deal with on this old Chevy.

I've never installed weatherstripping for a living, so I relied on the accompanying instructions. They started in the center. I've seen videos doing it both ways, and I don't understand the reason for starting in the center. Corners make more sense.

Next time around, I'll start in the corners.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette America Rear Hatch Weatherstrip Install

Old 11-18-2016, 09:09 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Maybe ignorance is bliss, but I installed mine on my 87 about 4 years ago. Did it the way Wilcox suggested, glued/sealed the corners with crazy glue gel and lube the corners once a year with dielectric grease about 3 inches either side. No problems.

Last edited by Steve59; 11-18-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:10 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Willcox
Yet you want to sell something else to a dissatisfied customer,good luck with that. If I bought something from Wilcox and it turned out to be garbage I surely wouldn't do business with you again.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:51 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steve59
Maybe ignorance is bliss, but I installed mine on my 87 about 4 years ago. Did it the way Wilcox suggested, glued/sealed the corners with crazy glue gel and lube the corners once a year with dielectric grease about 3 inches either side. No problems.
This post is about a totally new product I purchased from Corvette America. I posted because others were not happy with their RECENT purchases from Wilcox and Steel.

Now Wilcox is apparently sourcing and selling the same product as Corvette America. Steel Rubber (giggle) has not weighed in on the conversation.

The Corvette America product has molded, not glued, corners. So far, I am very pleased with no leaks, no noise.

Quick Reply: Corvette America Rear Hatch Weatherstrip Install