Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Pic request: front 3-way component speakers (rocker sill location)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 08:46 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 212 Posts

Default Pic request: front 3-way component speakers (rocker sill location)

I have 5.25 coax in front rockers now, but need more sound from front. Would like to see some configurations, and if anyone modified Bose enclosure or just made out of wood. Anyone fit a 6.50 3 way component in front? (not doors)

Thanks
Old 10-25-2016, 08:28 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 172 Likes on 149 Posts

you will not fit a 3-way set of components int he sills.. maybe a 2-way with a 6.5 but it will be tight

I have a 1" and 4" in the sill and a 6.5 in the door
Old 10-25-2016, 09:16 AM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
you will not fit a 3-way set of components int he sills.. maybe a 2-way with a 6.5 but it will be tight

I have a 1" and 4" in the sill and a 6.5 in the door
This thread is worthless without pics.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:40 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by billy mild
This thread is worthless without pics.
i know I will work on it. Still looking for a good picture host to replace picasaweb
Old 10-25-2016, 12:00 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
i know I will work on it. Still looking for a good picture host to replace picasaweb
Yes, I would like to see as well, especially the door part.
I am sure you are aware, but you no longer need a host for the pics, you can just attach directly from your device now.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:18 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
Yes, I would like to see as well, especially the door part.
I am sure you are aware, but you no longer need a host for the pics, you can just attach directly from your device now.
Yes, but if I post from the PC, I need to get them on the PC

Here are some pictures, I need to get some better ones of the Driver side

Old 10-26-2016, 09:17 AM
daverulz
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

You will not be thrilled with the results you’d get from a 6.5” 3-way set crammed into that space. In most cases with limited enclosure space you can get better performance from a smaller driver than a larger driver in terms of overall output AND low frequency extension.

The first thing we need to know is what you are running now. What model speakers, how are they installed, and what are you using for amplification? As you know, every set of speakers does not perform the same, and the installation and amplification plays a big role in how loud they get.

To get louder you need a combination of three things – more displacement or more cone area, more efficiency and more power.
A good set of 5.25 components should get plenty loud enough with proper amplification in the space that the ‘Vette can provide.
Now if what you’re actually after is midbass output…That’s another story.

Last edited by daverulz; 10-26-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:28 AM
daverulz
Racer

There was also this guy, I believe he is on here too.
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ild-vette.html
Old 10-26-2016, 10:07 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by daverulz
There was also this guy, I believe he is on here too.
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ild-vette.html
I like the pods he did.. If I switched to something like that I would go back to the older door panels

I will say this, I had the SAME 3-way in my 89 (with 91 dash) , Same layout, but built angles pieces in the Sills and the sound was MUCH better than the current mounts in the sills.. But legs still block sound.

I am happy with what I have, can it be improved yes.. will I ever get around to doing something? Who knows
Old 10-26-2016, 10:36 AM
daverulz
Racer

Yes, most speakers will be louder if you can get them on-axis. Output drops the further to the side of the speaker you move.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:41 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Yep every little bit helps. I like the added mid bass and I think if I could move the smaller drivers up in my car it would be better. The driver door is more of a challenge to get on axis. In that link the pod sticks out way too much. I have a thought on what might work though in my car. But where would I put the tweeters I think in the dash is too far from the door

Last edited by -=Jeff=-; 10-26-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:42 AM
daverulz
Racer

The solution to distance problems = DSP. We've talked about this before
Old 10-26-2016, 11:05 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

The solution to distance problems = DSP. We've talked about this before
Yes we have..

Just more equipment to stuff in the car
Old 10-26-2016, 05:01 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

You will not be thrilled with the results you’d get from a 6.5” 3-way set crammed into that space. In most cases with limited enclosure space you can get better performance from a smaller driver than a larger driver in terms of overall output AND low frequency extension.

The first thing we need to know is what you are running now. What model speakers, how are they installed, and what are you using for amplification? As you know, every set of speakers does not perform the same, and the installation and amplification plays a big role in how loud they get.

To get louder you need a combination of three things – more displacement or more cone area, more efficiency and more power.
A good set of 5.25 components should get plenty loud enough with proper amplification in the space that the ‘Vette can provide.
Now if what you’re actually after is midbass output…That’s another story.
I have Infinity Kappas 5.25 front and 6x9 rears with an Alpine 4x60rms amp. I like the sound from the back, but needs more in front (you know the reasons) to balance it out and have more of a front sound stage. When I fade to front, i lose all the bass. The fronts are mounted in stock location under the stock carpet covers on a wooden panel. The car itself is rather loud, and I don't listen loud like I used to, but would like a "better" sound.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:12 PM
daverulz
Racer

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
I have Infinity Kappas 5.25 front and 6x9 rears with an Alpine 4x60rms amp. I like the sound from the back, but needs more in front (you know the reasons) to balance it out and have more of a front sound stage. When I fade to front, i lose all the bass. The fronts are mounted in stock location under the stock carpet covers on a wooden panel. The car itself is rather loud, and I don't listen loud like I used to, but would like a "better" sound.
Try this:
Set the amplifier's low-pass crossover on the rear channels between to ~80hz
Do the same thing, but for the high-pass crossover on the fronts
Adjust the gains to get a smooth frequency response.

Low frequencies are omnidirectionial and you should not be able to localize the sound as easily from the 6x9's. Those 5.25's should get plenty loud off of 60 watts.

Does the wooden panel that the front speakers are mounted on completely isolate the backwave from the frontwave of the speaker?
Old 10-27-2016, 10:21 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

It has been years since I installed, don't recall what I set the amp on. I looked it up and you can see the crossover, filter option on the one pic. If you want to suggest more detailed setting from this, let me know, otherwise I will try the above suggestions.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wg0KcGT...l#&gid=1&pid=3

I will have to look at the fronts, I recall trying to seal them off, but not sure if I was successful. I imagine It is best to seal off, like a speaker enclosure, even though not much low frequencies?
Old 10-27-2016, 11:24 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Why isn't it popular to put surface mount tweeters on the dash, pointed at the windshield? That would get the highs up out of that "hole" and I'd think, improve the front sound stage a lot. Yes? No?

Get notified of new replies

To Pic request: front 3-way component speakers (rocker sill location)

Old 10-28-2016, 09:21 AM
daverulz
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Why isn't it popular to put surface mount tweeters on the dash, pointed at the windshield? That would get the highs up out of that "hole" and I'd think, improve the front sound stage a lot. Yes? No?

Because bouncing high frequencies off the glass does not sound good. Ideally the tweeters would be installed on-axis to the driver. Off axis and reflected = yuck sound.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:23 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Because bouncing high frequencies off the glass does not sound good. Ideally the tweeters would be installed on-axis to the driver. Off axis and reflected = yuck sound.
Wouldn't you want the mid range of Axis as well? I notice bigger changes with the Midrange driver than the tweeter honestly

EDIT:

I think if I moved the 4" from the sill to the door. put the 6.5" in the sill and then found a spot for the tweeter it will be much better sound.

The issue with the sill and even the door are the legs of the occupants blocking the sound. Especially the driver side. The one post with the pods are great, but the driver side pod sticks out too far and sacrifices too much needed leg space

Last edited by -=Jeff=-; 10-28-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:29 AM
daverulz
Racer

On axis. The frequency response of pretty much every speaker drops off the further off axis (ie the further to one side or the other) you get. With the exception of speakers producing lower frequencies that become omnidirectional.

Quick Reply: Pic request: front 3-way component speakers (rocker sill location)