Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Why a C4? In other words, what makes it a great car for you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 07:42 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Default Why a C4? In other words, what makes it a great car for you?

Our company got its start with Corvette on the 4th Generation, which coincidentally was the first generation Corvette I bought. I've owned a Corvette now the past 27 years, bought new... I am a dyed-in-the-wool C4 guy.

In addition to spending a bunch of time living and breathing these cars for work and personal use, I also serve as Division Director for Bloomington Gold Corvettes, with several teams of detail oriented Certification and Survivor Judges.

Back then, it was a new car and was the absolute best car on the road. Had amazing performance and styling, and technology in many ways revolutionary, or ahead of its time.

I like my C4, and still own my first. I've been privileged to own four C4s. Each different - and each great cars in their own ways. Anyways, driving my one C4 yesterday, I thought, "this is an awesome car" and looks great, and sounds amazing. Performance wasn't bad, either, as I snaked through the mountain roads....

So what does it for you? Why is the C4 a great car for you?

And how many are still original owners? Please share your stories and pictures in this thread.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:00 PM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

For me I wanted a car to replace the 1996 Pontiac Formula I sold when i bought my Trans Am new off the showroom floor. I always enjoyed the LT1 performance and the C4 was certainly an upgrade from the Formula. I just really enjoy the feel of these 90's cars.
Attachment 48034168

Last edited by Atomic6; 11-06-2020 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:09 PM
BigRed85
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just like cars. I have a C4 because one became available to me at no cost. I have really enjoyed it so far.
Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2016, 08:25 PM
Edv92c4
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

It was is the Corvette of my youth...and although I never got one until last summer it still reminds me of the good old days!
Old 11-06-2016, 08:30 PM
Bobby Simone
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Car from my childhood, I'm 36 now and have owned 6 c4s. Every time I think im over it I sell, then always buy another. I have had l98s and lt1s. My favorite c4 so far has been the 85.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:34 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,980 Likes on 4,800 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

my last car started to rust away and I wanted a car where I wouldn't have to worry about rusting body panels. plus I like the way the way the drive and handle. plus for money they have lots of power
Old 11-06-2016, 09:21 PM
SmokinBlack
Team Owner

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08

For those of us in our 40's or older, we remember the days of the original American muscle cars as daily drivers on the street. Who from my generation didn't wait for every Friday night at 8:00 to watch the General Lee? As a kid I can remember having a white '69 Mercury and 2 old Novas at our house. The neighbor on one side had a SS 396 '69 Chevelle and just down the road was a family that had a '69 Z28 and a '70 SS 454 Chevelle. When I turned '16, I had the chance to briefly drive our former '70 Nova. It wasn't anything special, just a 350 4bbl with a 3-speed manual on the floor. But, as a 16 year old it was just awesome as a 1st driving experience. Well, the floors were getting soft, and it needed quarters. So, my family did what was practical at the time and sold it to some other young kid. I remember literally begging my parents to let me fix it up. The answer was, why would you want that old piece of junk?

Anyway, about the same time, there were Goodyear tire ads appearing in Hot Rod and Car Craft magazine that had the pictures of a 5.0 Mustang GT, an IROC-Z 350, and a C4. I'll never forget the ad. It said something like "What does the 130 MPH Mustang and IROC-Z have in common with the 144 MPH Corvette....the Goodyear Gatorback". I was instantly hooked. I just had to have a Corvette. I must have talked my parents ears off daily on how much I wanted a Corvette. I remember telling them how nice it would be to have a car that wouldn't rust away.

Fast forward a couple more years and my parents surprised me with my first Corvette during my senior year in college, a '87 A4 Coupe. It was top of the line at the time. Nothing on the street new could touch it and I loved it. I still have it. It has sat in one spot for the better part of the last 20 years, but it is still there. Recently, I pulled it out with the intention of getting it running and selling it off. But now that I have it on the road, I love it just as much as I did when I was 22. I just had it out for a quick spin today. I'm so glad I didn't let it go.

Last edited by SmokinBlack; 11-06-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:02 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 207 Posts

I've had so many cars in my life but did not even allow myself to dream of having a Corvette. I, like many in the hobby, had no idea that C4s were so undervalued. Yes, undervalued. It makes no sense at all that they are so cheap.

Anyway, my dad has an '86 coupe and I put a coat of wax on it one day. As I did, I thought to myself how awesome the car was. I had a '60 Buick at the time that I had started restoring but the time and effort that it was taking was wearing badly on me. So I began looking at C4s and was thrilled at how affordable they were. I looked at six cars before buying my own '86.

For me, the Corvette epitomizes the car hobby and everything great about it. The car has plenty of power for my needs and great handling and response on the lovely back roads of southern Central Jersey. I'm so glad that I chose the C4.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:04 PM
Went
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 69 Posts

I was out driving today and thought...I love driving my car (1989). Always wanted a muscle car. I love the way I'm canned into it...the way it corners. I love the torque (not enough yet), feels great. I love how on occasion people crane their heads around looking at it. The thing growls when I get on it. I really like the C4 body style. I can go a long ways on a tank of gas...further than I can sit at one stretch. Could go on more. My wife loves it, that's cool! When I was a about 13, a friend of mine and I helped his brother restore a C1. I wanted a Corvette after that. Once there was a 1969 Camaro that was my ride but it wasn't a Corvette. So after riding a motorcycle full time for years I finally crawled off the bike and bought my Vette. Couldn't be happier. It's an old car and it's caused me to learn a lot. I've a pile of new performance parts to go into her soon. That's a good thing too. Going to retire in three years and have more plans for my Vette. Anyway, I like my C4. Guess I already said that.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:08 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

My first Corvette was a 68 coupe I bought for $2500 when I was fresh out of the Navy in 77. When the C4 came out in 84 a fellow buddy (both of us die hard C3 guys) and I went to look them over, my first statement was I'll never own one!

Many C3's later fast forward to 2001 was going to buy a new C5 Z06. Well at that time early ZR-1's were selling at about the same money so I went for the baddest Corvette ever built that I could never afford when they came out. Took almost a year but found the 91 in ND and 1 month later I flew out and drove it home. Bought it with just over 9k miles still have it with 60k miles and lots more HP.

Over the years I have owned a C5 new in 04, but I had come to love the C4 over the years and have owned a few 84's several LT1/4 cars and 3 ZR-1's I guess that makes me hooked!

Last edited by FASTAZU; 11-06-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:26 AM
95tealconvert
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

I had always wanted a C5 vert since they came out. Liked everything about the C5 vert including the look-engineering and new advancements that went into it.

Fast forward to last year and I was finally ready to get my first vette and of course it was going to be a C5 vert. Strange thing happened though when I was looking and that was this unexplainable lack of excitement I experienced when I was finally able to get my dream vette. I simply just did not feel like it was the right vette for me. Not sure to this day what made me feel so uninspired about the C5 but I think more than anything I was just tired of seeing them all the time.

Another unexpected thing started to happen when I was looking at the C5's- I felt myself being drawn to the late C4 verts. Liked everything about the late C4 including the lay out of the interior, the jet fighter feel when sitting in the car, the exterior refinements. What surprised me the most was how much I liked driving the car-it reminded me of a early C3 vert while also reminding me of a C5 vert.

My '95 really reminds me of driving a early C3 but with all the improvements you wish were available back in the late 60's. I like all vettes but honestly the C5 and C6 just feel a bit too refined for my taste and that is not a cut on the newer vettes but just a personal feeling. I now understand why so many vette lovers would rather drive a C1 to C4 even though they are not as refined and fast as the newer generations.

Of course having the only generation vette that has a front nose that tilts up is pretty damn cool in my opinion.
Attached Images    

Last edited by 95tealconvert; 11-18-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:12 AM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 81 Posts

This thread will take off

In order of importance when purchased:
  1. Price
  2. Rarity & styling (compared to avg car on road)
  3. Handling & road feel

As a young guy still trying to get a solid career goin, I honestly ended up w/ a C4 bc I couldn't afford a good e46 M3. However that's only bc I test drove the M3 first. Extremely happy w/ my C4
Old 11-07-2016, 03:43 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

I reached a point in life I had some spare cash and always wanted a Corvette. Given a choice would have bought a 59 but out of budget and a C4 was in budget. Beyond that like the styling and managed the engine production for a subcontractor for the B2K so a fit there. It has been a love hate relationship as always something else to do. This winter send out dash for tach repair and brake booster yet again. No matter what anyone says the 91 is a one year only for brake booster and exhaust.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:01 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

I can remember seeing the 54's when they came out and fell in love with Vettes. I lusted for one over the years with the 63 Coupes being my first love, though I'd never be able to afford one. I made offers on various c3's but never able to complete the purchase though I was not committed to C3's. In 2013 I found this one at a car auction in New Mexico and I was able to purchase it for a price I could live with. No it's not new and no it's not perfect but it's the car I wanted and love. It has all the options I wanted and it's a blast to drive.

I outgrew my needs to drag and race in my youth. This is a driver and a joy to get behind the wheel or for a nice cruise.
Attached Images  

Last edited by hcbph; 11-07-2016 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:51 AM
2airtime2
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm picking up my new to me '92 today. Why a c4? I was born in 1964 so the c4 was "the" car when I was in my mid 20's. I love the body style. They handle well and are fun to drive. I learned long ago, no matter how much hp and handling you have, there's always somebody out there 1 upping you. Just get a car you love and love to drive. I enjoy working on my own cars too and I understand some repairs on these are a pain but they are doable, I'm ok with that.

Plus, you can get these at a reasonable price (I'm paying $7k). Sure I'd love to have a new vette but with their cost it's a life changing decision. In all honesty, if I had a $60k vette I'd always be worrying about pebbles hitting me or some careless dummy in a parking lot. I'm going to take care of this '92 but I'm not going to fret about the little things.
Attached Images   

Last edited by 2airtime2; 11-08-2016 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:30 AM
DC 155
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 46 Posts

My 86 is the Vette that was out when I got my license when I was 16. I call it my time machine because I listen to 80's rock in it when I'm cruising around. I also like the C4 because of the limited space in it. To me it's part of the experience. The C5 got more leg room, shoulder room, and a lower rocker sill. My next car will most likely be another C4.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:34 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Like ddahlgren, I had some cash and always wanted a C4. When my dad got a new C7 for his birthday, I started perusing CL. Found the prices unbelievable and literally bought the first one I saw last September. 1996 base with 86K for $7,500.

I've always wrenched my own vehicles, so the age didn't bother me. I expected failures with creature comforts.

What I've found, like ddahlgren, is that it is one thing after another. Then it's back to that one thing again. And it is not an easy car to work on, despite the clamshell hood.

Add the cost of a well equipped shop and expensive specialized parts, along with a backup vehicle, to the cost of ownership for a more honest price.

Remains to be seen how long I'll keep it. My Corvette photo collection includes more shots of repair work than actually enjoying the drive.

2airtime2, congrats! Lucky for you, the PO took care of much of the rotten stuff like the opti. When it's your turn to replace it, I hope he used copious amounts of anti-seize on the pulley.

Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Why a C4? In other words, what makes it a great car for you?

Old 11-07-2016, 09:11 AM
JungleCat
Safety Car

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I was actually looking for another '80-'82 C3 to replace the '80 I sold in 2009 but they were either overpriced or basket cases. I went to look at a friend's Corvettes who had a black 1967 convertible, a red 1986 coupe, and a white 2000 convertible. All three were low miles and in excellent condition. The '67 wasn't for sale. I settled on the '86 because it was priced at about what I wanted to spend and I was feeling a bit nostalgic. I'm having fun with the car so I think I made the right choice.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:14 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Wel wanted a stop gap car til I could finish my old schooler
Found the C4 was cheaper than a Camaro so tried one on which led to the Z.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:42 AM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

my dreamcar in 1984

Quick Reply: Why a C4? In other words, what makes it a great car for you?