C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Which is the loud horn High or low

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 11:42 AM
JWASR64
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which is the loud horn High or low

My pass side horn is missing, and I want to get the correct replacement.
My horn can hardly be heard. I need to be heard by those texting through turn arrows.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:33 PM
cuengineer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Since nobody has commented yet, I will throw in my $0.02 worth. It seems like I remember that one horn is an F# and one is C#. I will try to get my tuner app out tomorrow and check to see for sure. My experience with my '88 Vette is that the horns are not very good. In fact if I blow mine, my wife complains about how embarrassing it is. Anyway, I found a recommendation that horns off an older cadillac are much better so I went to my local pullapart and got a couple. They should mount pretty easily but the wiring connector is a little different. Since I do not want to mess up the original connection, I need to make the cadillac horns accept Vette electrical inputs. Remember there are grounds required. I agree that sometimes one needs a VERY LOUD horn!
Old 11-12-2016, 05:06 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I believe it is an A vice C note. Could be wrong though.

OEM are no longer available and I am not aware of a factory looking aftermarket that is available.

You could look to see if other GM cars and trucks have similar horns in a junkyard as already mentioned.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:59 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Right side is either A or C if you suspect everything being OE on the LEFT.

A FIAMM horn 72205 I believe came with the correct connection but of course an incorrect bracket. They don't show that horn on their website any longer and I don't know what they might offer for a replacement. A NAPA 7301623 if still available might be the same as. "might" -

Do you know that the OE connector is there or is it going to need to be a fabricated wiring replacement?

There's many options if your concern is "just being heard"!!

Some of the GM horns come with maybe an adapter to use the OE connector and multipurpose brackets. There of course is generally a higher price point. Take a look at this horn on eBay GM# 12368063 - just use the number for a search.
The following users liked this post:
JWASR64 (11-14-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 10:11 AM
eutu1984
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Right side is either A or C if you suspect everything being OE on the LEFT.

A FIAMM horn 72205 I believe came with the correct connection but of course an incorrect bracket. They don't show that horn on their website any longer and I don't know what they might offer for a replacement. A NAPA 7301623 if still available might be the same as. "might" -

Do you know that the OE connector is there or is it going to need to be a fabricated wiring replacement?

There's many options if your concern is "just being heard"!!

Some of the GM horns come with maybe an adapter to use the OE connector and multipurpose brackets. There of course is generally a higher price point. Take a look at this horn on eBay GM# 12368063 - just use the number for a search.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...63-beware.html

Found this thread on that GM horn, may not be a good deal.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:31 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Originally Posted by eutu1984
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...63-beware.html

Found this thread on that GM horn, may not be a good deal.
I don't believe you can rely upon information that's "eight" and "four" years old. There's many horns that work, I pointed the OP a direction to use as a "shopping information tool". I suggested no buy anywhere. I mentioned check this and asked if he had the OE connector available or not.
The following users liked this post:
JWASR64 (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 04:47 PM
JWASR64
Instructor

Orileys 9.99 High note horn fixed it !
Old 11-14-2016, 06:01 PM
cuengineer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Are your horns loud now?
Old 11-15-2016, 09:33 AM
JWASR64
Instructor

They are how the should be. Not train horns similar to factory.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:03 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

The notes of the stock horns are molded into the horn case. No guessing required. Although, with both removed you'll have to guess which side.

On my '96 they are clearly marked "F" and "A". No C's and no sharps.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:19 PM
RLowindy
Intermediate

The Driver is an F and the Passenger is an A. Both should be the same volume, bu the F is the Low tone, and the A is the High Tone. After messing with mine for some time (I rebuilt the A and never could get a tone and the F was intermittent, and true Delco replacements are not available), I finally gave in and bought the Blazer horns from AutoZone, masked them off and painted them with semi gloss black paint, drilled the rivets off the stock brackets and mounted them to the Blazers. I cut the factory connectors off the wires (which I hated to do) and put shielded connectors female the factory wiring that connect to the blades of the Blazer horns. I also used some large fender washers that I painted. Its ALMOST a factory look, the only tell is the electrical connectors. If I shrink wrapped them, which I may do, I think it would be less noticeable.

Edit: By the way, the loudenss of the horns at AutoZone are indicated by a three horns on the loudest horns and a single horn on the less loud horn. Each horn was sold separately and cost about $20.

Last edited by RLowindy; 11-27-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:11 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Fix it right...

Use them
Attached Images  
Old 11-28-2016, 09:14 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by RLowindy
The Driver is an F and the Passenger is an A. Both should be the same volume, bu the F is the Low tone, and the A is the High Tone. After messing with mine for some time (I rebuilt the A and never could get a tone and the F was intermittent, and true Delco replacements are not available), I finally gave in and bought the Blazer horns from AutoZone, masked them off and painted them with semi gloss black paint, drilled the rivets off the stock brackets and mounted them to the Blazers. I cut the factory connectors off the wires (which I hated to do) and put shielded connectors female the factory wiring that connect to the blades of the Blazer horns. I also used some large fender washers that I painted. Its ALMOST a factory look, the only tell is the electrical connectors. If I shrink wrapped them, which I may do, I think it would be less noticeable.

Edit: By the way, the loudenss of the horns at AutoZone are indicated by a three horns on the loudest horns and a single horn on the less loud horn. Each horn was sold separately and cost about $20.
The Blazers are lousy if you use the mounts that come with them. I put a set of those on my wifes '95 and they sound like a moist fart. If you don't want the hassle of swapping those mounts, get the FIAMMs.

My '96 only gets judged by me, but I couldn't bear to cut the factory connector. So I made up a short dummy wire, tinned on one end and spade connector on the other, as a go between. Works a treat. And rebuilding the factory horns is somewhere on my long list of projects so I'm hoping to eventually use those connectors again.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:50 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I bought a set of 80s Buick Park Avenue, and a set of Cadillac Fleetwood. I'll be making plenty of noise.

Get notified of new replies

To Which is the loud horn High or low

Quick Reply: Which is the loud horn High or low