'86 Coupe Door Glass Adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 04:05 PM
JWMorrisey
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default '86 Coupe Door Glass Adjustments

Hey Gang
Any 'vette body gurus out there got a moment?

Wed I had to replace the broken driver's door glass as it was shattered during an attempted break-in. Nothing was taken and the Neon R/T and the Jeep Wrangler parked next to it were ignored. Either the Kenwood aftermarket stereo or the whole 'vette were targeted.

Anyhow, I lucked into a used door glass. 2hrs drive time up and back to go get it then 4 1/2hrs to di the install and clean out the broken glass.

Install went well but I need to make the final tweaks on the door glass as the door shuts a bit too hard. The glass is in too far at the top and I'm out of adjustment of the vertical guide bar.

Any experienced help is most appreciated.

Jonathan.....

Last edited by JWMorrisey; 12-23-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:20 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/cor...w-adjustments/

Due to the curvature of the window they can be a real pain to dial in.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:17 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,143 Likes on 846 Posts

Do you have a FSM? If not, please get one.

But if you don't, first watch a couple of You Tube videos. Many are helpful.

You will need to take off your door panels so you can get to the adjustment bolts.

There are four adjustments... fore, aft, in and out. I'd make sure your door is aligned where yo want it first and closing the way you want it..

I'd start with making the fore and aft adjustments (with in/out on the loose side)first making sure that the window seats properly in the seals. You will probably be making tons of little adjustments moving the window 1/8s and 1/16s of an inch.

After that you can adjust the in/out pretty easily through trial and error. It helps if you have a buddy who can stand on the outside of the car putting steady pressure on the window while you, inside the car and tighten the adjustment bolts.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:57 PM
JWMorrisey
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The VERY first thing I bought when I got the car was the FSM. It shows the (3) three adjustments on the glass and the in/out adjustment at the top of the guide track.

The very first thing I did was to adjust the door properly then as it was down 2-3mm at the rear. It shuts MUCH better now with the glass rolled down.

I'll move the glass back just a bit then try your suggestion of outward pressure on the glass as I make the in/out adjustment.

Jonathan.....

Get notified of new replies

To '86 Coupe Door Glass Adjustments

Quick Reply: '86 Coupe Door Glass Adjustments