C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Multi Bank Battery Maintainer

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 02:36 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

Default Multi Bank Battery Maintainer

I've always used a couple DELTRAN - BatteryTender brand as "stand-alones" and one seems to have died. Does anyone have any first hand experience with maybe a 2 or 3 bank maintainer? No marine requirement and I thought maybe just removing maybe 3 batteries and maintain them in shop. DELTRAN has some 1.25 AMP 2 bank and 4 bank but there seems to be maybe more practical and substantially higher AMP capable product that will also maintain out there. Rather than mention any I thought it maybe better to just ask.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:27 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 642 Likes on 497 Posts

Although you may have a reason for wanting to do it that way, I chose to keep "stand-alones" on mine. For under $20 each I have been happy with the Schumacher maintainers for 7 or 8 years.

For me it was less complex and easier to use them separately.

Good luck with setting up a multiple bank maintainer if you decide to go that way.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:20 PM
CCRed
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I've always used a couple DELTRAN - BatteryTender brand as "stand-alones" and one seems to have died. Does anyone have any first hand experience with maybe a 2 or 3 bank maintainer? No marine requirement and I thought maybe just removing maybe 3 batteries and maintain them in shop. DELTRAN has some 1.25 AMP 2 bank and 4 bank but there seems to be maybe more practical and substantially higher AMP capable product that will also maintain out there. Rather than mention any I thought it maybe better to just ask.
I had a dual bank charger and when it died the whole thing stopped. @%#$.
I replaced it with a single CTEK MUS 4.3 just to try one first and its keeping both batteries charged with no problem. No complaints.

The old Deltrans were great but the newer ones don't seem to be getting great reviews.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:31 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by QCVette
Although you may have a reason for wanting to do it that way, I chose to keep "stand-alones" on mine. For under $20 each I have been happy with the Schumacher maintainers for 7 or 8 years.

For me it was less complex and easier to use them separately.

Good luck with setting up a multiple bank maintainer if you decide to go that way.
Which Schumacher units are you using? I was considering maybe a NOCO Genisis that's weather proof so I could use it in a somewhat protected area where I keep a zero-turn and a small tractor. This one can generally be purchased for $100 or less. Just a thought - I was actually intending on likely another BatteryTender but pricing isn't near what I remember.

https://no.co/genm2

Originally Posted by CCRed
The old Deltrans were great but the newer ones don't seem to be getting great reviews.
I was in a local retailers shop the other day and when I picked one off the shelf the fellow I usually talked to just gave me the "I DON'T THINK SO " look! I sat it down - he smiled!!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-15-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:13 PM
CCRed
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Which Schumacher units are you using? I was considering maybe a NOCO Genisis that's weather proof so I could use it in a somewhat protected area where I keep a zero-turn and a small tractor. This one can generally be purchased for $100 or less. Just a thought - I was actually intending on likely another BatteryTender but pricing isn't near what I remember.

https://no.co/genm2

I was in a local retailers shop the other day and when I picked one off the shelf the fellow I usually talked to just gave me the "I DON'T THINK SO " look! I sat it down - he smiled!!
The Deltrans were king in their day but the new pulse chargers are superior. The CTEK and likely the NOCO have a battery recondition mode and I tested it on a dead lawn tractor battery. It worked. I used that battery a few more months before it died. I believe the CTEK is included as standard equipment on several new cars.

If you have vehicles that are stored a lot I have found AGM batteries to be better than the standard wet cell type.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:18 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 642 Likes on 497 Posts

Which Schumacher units are you using? .......
I have been using a cheap Schumacher "Speed Charge" 1.5 Amp model # SEM-1562A. The company's web site says it is good for standard lead acid, AGM, and gel batteries both 6V and 12V.

Originally Posted by CCRed
....The CTEK and likely the NOCO have a battery recondition mode and I tested it on a dead lawn tractor battery. It worked. I used that battery a few more months before it died. .....
The Schumacher I use has a desulfation mode. On one car, I gave up on the battery but tried putting it on my maintainer. It brought it back for another 1.5 years. Not a magic cure, but it helped.

The best part about this charger is the price. I see it at places like WalMart for about $20 and frequently at Farm & Fleet on sale for $16.99

However the best idea is.... HURRY UP SPRING!!! so there is no need to store them.

Good luck.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:26 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Ive been looking for a good unit myself. It seems that even the good brand name manufacturers are plagued with poor reviews. Likely a result of going to cheap electronics to increase profit margins.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:51 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

posting to just see the last post by "Dt86" -

I've no idea what the issue is but if I see a thread where "Dt86" or "Handsome Mike" is the last to post when I go to respond I actual end up at the poster prior to them. This is the same thing I believe "Tom400CFI" has been experiencing. Anyone have any idea?

**I considered the 2 - 3 bank maybe only because of convenience. The water-tight feature of the NOCO looked real attractive. I'll likely call a friend who hangs around the marine joints and ask for maybe some who've had experience.

Perhaps "Tom400CFI" has experience with or knows some that might have. I believe he's an on the water kinda guy!
Old 01-16-2017, 01:13 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

I dont know what the issue is but hopefully this works!

Name:  image-1579448623.png
Views: 327
Size:  290.3 KB
Old 01-16-2017, 04:28 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

I use solar to charge over 20 vehicles. What you need is a few panels, a solar duo battery charger/controller and a few Chinese digital timers.

I have the setup I use outlined here :

http://crowz.narmir.com/solar-and-wi...ging-vehicles/

This covers all the equipment and how it works.

Cost isn't bad at all. The controller is about $40 and the timers were $!0 each. You need one timer per car. There is no limit to how many cars you can maintain with this setup since you just add to it as needed to cover more cars.

It is also completely safe unlike normal battery chargers.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:31 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

One other nice part of this setup is Im sitting here in the house at my computer right now and looking to my right without pressing any buttons I see that one of my bmw's is at 12.7 volts right now and my superduty truck is at 12.5.

If I wanted to I could cycle thru all the vehicles in the yard seeing the exact voltage on all of them. Nice piece of mind knowing the condition of the vehicles without having to go check anything.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:35 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Also you want to use the magloc connectors if you go with what I use. Trust me on this one. Doesn't take but one drive off without remembering to unplug a normal charger to make you invest in the magloc connectors.

With them you can drive off and the connector just comes undone with no damage to plug or car. When you get back just touch the connector back to the car to hook it back up. Its even short proof when not connected. Impossible to short the ends out on the vehicle or the plug when undone.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:38 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

On the amps part the solar controller I use on my vehicle charging setup will go from milliamps up to 20 amps if you have enough panels with the controller selecting the right amperage that's right for the battery its connected to.

If for some reason you want something higher the ones I use on the solar setup for my house do 40 amps but you can get up to 80 amps
Old 01-16-2017, 06:02 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by crowz
I use solar to charge over 20 vehicles. What you need is a few panels, a solar duo battery charger/controller and a few Chinese digital timers.

I have the setup I use outlined here :

http://crowz.narmir.com/solar-and-wi...ging-vehicles/

This covers all the equipment and how it works.

Cost isn't bad at all. The controller is about $40 and the timers were $!0 each. You need one timer per car. There is no limit to how many cars you can maintain with this setup since you just add to it as needed to cover more cars.

It is also completely safe unlike normal battery chargers.
This is certainly interesting. How far from the solar panel can the charging station be placed. What gauge wire from panel to charging station? Where I'd like the charging station it's nearly full shade so the potential panel to the station would be maybe 75 feet.

I hadn't ever thought about "solar" - deserves some thought!

Monocrystalline or Polycrystalline panel preferred?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-16-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:19 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

This is certainly interesting. How far from the solar panel can the charging station be placed. What gauge wire from panel to charging station? Where I'd like the charging station it's nearly full shade so the potential panel to the station would be maybe 75 feet.

I hadn't ever thought about "solar" - deserves some thought!

Monocrystalline or Polycrystalline panel preferred?
Distance depends on voltage and cable size. With a pwm controller aka the cheap one you are limited by cable size since the voltage has to be 12 volts.

So figure on 100 foot or so tops with 2 100 watt panels. With 4 100 watt panels you could do 200 foot. This is of course high amp charging. If you only want low amp 2 amp or less you can go even farther on the cable runs.

If you use a mppt controller which cost a good bit more (that's what I use on my house solar system) you can go with high voltage say 24v, 48v, 120v etc by wiring the panels in series this making the cable runs VERY long. 500 feet if need be for the low amps needed for car charging. The mppt controller brings the power down to 12volts for your cars.

As for the panels Id go Mono. The poly's are a little bit cheaper but the mono's put out more power in low light conditions. More bang for the buck.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:24 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

As for cable size needed here is a handy chart for that.

Note going smaller cable wise than what this chart shows isn't a problem you just loose power on the other end of the cable unless you pumping mega amps thru them.
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2017, 12:26 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Nice thing about the solar its a setup and forget it kind of system (well other than washing the panels from time to time ).

Also once you pay for the system it cost ZERO dollars in power to run it. Which is real nice when your charging 20 plus cars. 20 or more normal battery chargers would be quite noticeable on the power bill...

Get notified of new replies

To Multi Bank Battery Maintainer

Old 01-16-2017, 03:59 PM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I splurged on a NOCO 3500 last year. So far I really like it. There are several interesting features, like it tells you what the current stage of the battery is.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:19 PM
Edv92c4
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

I have 2 of these 4 unit chargers and have had good luck with them. Keeps 8 cars charged. If you get one you will need the extension cords for the 12 volt sides as you cannot park 4 cars that close to the unit.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:24 PM
Edv92c4
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

I also have several stand alone units for other vehicles...I did loose one about 5 years ago but I think it was due to a lightning strike near the building I was using it in. Battery tenders brand has been good to me.

Quick Reply: Multi Bank Battery Maintainer