C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1984 hit today

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 03:46 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Default 1984 hit today

My 84 was hit by someone today. While turning right she came straight at ne from the left it looked like. I swerved to the right found plenty of space as I wasn't going fast but she was.

It caught the left front bumper area broke the lense knocked the filament off the bulb, the buckets in pieces. The bumper seems dislodged to towards the drivers side about a 1/4 maybe less. There was some power steering fluid (I think ) on the ground near that wheel by the time I left. I had a leak somewhere but not sure if its the same place or it could be worse now.

She apologized right away and said in front of my passenger that she saw us but `plowed` into us anyway. She was cordial but geeze

The LEO suggested that she claimed we had been drag racing and I guess he got a laugh at my expression. He did say that she she made it pretty clear that she felt it was her fault and |I would be ok.

He checked some form that said he didn't make a report because of one of the conditions listed (most likely the condition that says `apparent damage to any one vehicle` below 500.00

I doubt that applies to my car or to her 2013 Ford Fiesta.

So far I called her insurance company then my own. I only have liability. A little more than state mins

They said she or her husband had already called and took my info more or less.

No car to drive now because I cant be sure the frame or alignment haven't been meessed up so haven't tried to get on the highway with it. Drove home felt the same. Need a new bulb and some way to hold it in there
Old 01-19-2017, 05:14 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Bummer! I would think her insurance company would pay the damages since it seems to be her fault...with no police report however she can say something different than she told you and the LEO. Anyway I am sure it will work out and no one was hurt!
Old 01-19-2017, 05:31 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 856SPEED
Bummer! I would think her insurance company would pay the damages since it seems to be her fault...with no police report however she can say something different than she told you and the LEO. Anyway I am sure it will work out and no one was hurt!
Thank you its the only thing that makes me feel better when I think how hard of a hit it would be if I hadn't swerved she sure didn't or slow down. I might not even be home right now or my passenger.

I just hate that after 30 years of wanting a Corvette ok maybe more Im the one but not the first owner so who knows.

The outside bumper seems to be shifted over slightly and the edge at the hood is up at both ends some. Plus the buckets and llenses. Im hoping maybe its the brackets or skeleton in the bumper that can be fixed easily.

Someone will know what the possibilities are and don't ell me the worst ones yet please
Old 01-19-2017, 05:32 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

I am truly sorry to hear about you Corvette getting hit. I do believe that the officer might have been wrong about the amount of damage to your car. The cost with paint and parts could exceed the $500.00

My son had a experience a few years back with someone else and their insurance. He did not have any insurance (it was his fault for that). The other Insurance company refused to pay and it would be necessary to sue them for the damages. He had a Police report and the other driver clearly was at fault. It was a hassle and we finally just gave up and salvaged his truck.

I am glad no one was hurt and cars can be fixed. Good luck with your situation.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:55 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zachaeous
I am truly sorry to hear about you Corvette getting hit. I do believe that the officer might have been wrong about the amount of damage to your car. The cost with paint and parts could exceed the $500.00

My son had a experience a few years back with someone else and their insurance. He did not have any insurance (it was his fault for that). The other Insurance company refused to pay and it would be necessary to sue them for the damages. He had a Police report and the other driver clearly was at fault. It was a hassle and we finally just gave up and salvaged his truck.

I am glad no one was hurt and cars can be fixed. Good luck with your situation.
Well we both know the 2013 Ford Fiesta has to have over $500 it probably cost that much to paint a bumper on a newer car. I didnt see her car really close up much for myself but there was a big hole crunched in her front bumper facing forward. It probably crumbled.

Thank you for some solace, still hoping someone with good knowledge of the underpinnings will help me get an idea what it will take to fix, or how to be sure its fixed right if someone else dose it.

Her ins co said I can take it to their estimator or have their estimator meet at anywhere I choose, if things go in my favor. I think I might rather take it to with someone other than their place.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:11 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by ToniJ1960
Thank you for some solace, still hoping someone with good knowledge of the underpinnings will help me get an idea what it will take to fix, or how to be sure its fixed right if someone else dose it.

Her ins co said I can take it to their estimator or have their estimator meet at anywhere I choose, if things go in my favor. I think I might rather take it to with someone other than their place.
Toni, the best thing you can do is post up some pictures of your car and I'm sure you'll get some more meaningful responses.

Perhaps a few before pictures as well to let us know the overall before condition.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 01-19-2017, 07:16 PM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 231 Posts
Default accident report

Get back to the officer and request a report be done. A 2013 anything with damage is going to cost over $500 to repair.

​​​​​​​
Old 01-19-2017, 09:56 PM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

I drive a company car and they are always adamant that we get a report no matter how small the damage. Even parking lot or incidents on private property they make us call the police and get a report. We have been told that they are obligated to write one if requested. My guess is (and I don't blame him) that he didn't want the extra paperwork but more than likely would have done it if you had pressed him too.

Maybe you can contact him and let him know that upon further review the damage looks to be more than first thought?

Last edited by Silver85; 01-19-2017 at 09:57 PM. Reason: I'm stupid
Old 01-19-2017, 11:46 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Silver85
I drive a company car and they are always adamant that we get a report no matter how small the damage. Even parking lot or incidents on private property they make us call the police and get a report. We have been told that they are obligated to write one if requested. My guess is (and I don't blame him) that he didn't want the extra paperwork but more than likely would have done it if you had pressed him too.

Maybe you can contact him and let him know that upon further review the damage looks to be more than first thought?
he screwed it up somewhere, he checked the box on the back where it says no report was created. On the front theres a box where it says report created that he didnt check, but he wrote in a report # there. He had started to write in one number crossed it off and wrote in a different one.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:43 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

There are several stiffeners behind the rubber bumper that may have been bent or broken. That could cause the misalignment in the bumper cover.

Mine was clipped in a race track parking lot and the guy took off. I had 2 witnesses that got vehicle description, driver description and tag number. FHP took all the info, said they would get back to me, been 2 1/2 years now, not a peep. But they sure don't mind causing near traffic crashes doing a U-turn to chase me down for going 79 in a 70. It's priorities, money is the key to the law enforcement business, not us insignificant little peons and our pesky little crushed Corvettes.

Rick
Old 01-20-2017, 09:44 AM
ON 8TH
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That sux ! Glad you weren't hurt. I hit a deer with my 09 vibe,not a hard hit ,mostly just the left fender & not a big fender, just to have the fender repaired,not replaced,Painted etc was $650.00 !!! I carry 1k deductible,so I paid out of pocket.

Last edited by ON 8TH; 01-20-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:46 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

You need that police report. period. Hopefully, there isn't enough damage to total your 84. I would at least drive it around the block or so to see if it drives straight AND stops straight. Safety first. Even using used parts will take your car over that $500 mark. Also, you might need a few pics of your car. I had to go down to the police station several times to get the report when my pick up was involved and the driver admitted pulling out in front of me. Good news is that you were not hurt, nor your friend. 84s ,well all c-4s, are at the bottom of the heap price wise so cross your fingers they don't total it. No matter what that gal tells her insurance people, that report is the final answer to all parties and the court.. if you have to go to one. I know your sad over your 84, heck, anyone one in here would be. The very best of luck to you.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:04 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

[ Well I tried I called this morning they said the # he put was an `event` number and no report. I tried to talk to her and she said, if the first officer decided a report wasn't necessary another officer will just do the same thing. brick wall
Old 01-20-2017, 04:43 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by ToniJ1960
[ Well I tried I called this morning they said the # he put was an `event` number and no report. I tried to talk to her and she said, if the first officer decided a report wasn't necessary another officer will just do the same thing. brick wall
Toni, if you have a good reason (I would have one in mind at least) I would ask to speak to a supervisor. In my view a good reason would be a repair estimate of over $500.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 01-22-2017, 08:50 PM
skyhawk50
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

In Pennsylvania, if both vehicles are driveable, and there are no injuries, the accident is not considered a"reportable" accident. Sometimes the LEO's aren't too quick to offer up a report.
The following users liked this post:
Snakecharmer383 (07-14-2023)
Old 01-23-2017, 07:19 AM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

I had a highway patrol officer try really hard to get out of writing a report, i just kept pressing until he gave me the "damn" look and wrote it up.

​​​​​​​I guess it's a pita, but due to the attitude of the other driver i knew i would need it.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:46 PM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Just a couple of suggestions. First, take pictures. My wife was backed into in a parking lot and while a report was filed the LEO inadvertently indicated the wrong fender (left rather than right), a simple error as he was looking at it from the front. When it came time to settle up the insurance company said there was no damage to the left fender and the damaged right fender was not from that accident. Use your cell phone camera! Second, consider classic insurance if you can. Your 84 is old enough, if you have another car and your 84 is not a daily driver, you may qualify for one of the classic car insurances. Even with zero dollar deductible collision its pretty inexpensive. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To 1984 hit today

Old 01-28-2017, 05:05 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 73n95
Just a couple of suggestions. First, take pictures. My wife was backed into in a parking lot and while a report was filed the LEO inadvertently indicated the wrong fender (left rather than right), a simple error as he was looking at it from the front. When it came time to settle up the insurance company said there was no damage to the left fender and the damaged right fender was not from that accident. Use your cell phone camera! Second, consider classic insurance if you can. Your 84 is old enough, if you have another car and your 84 is not a daily driver, you may qualify for one of the classic car insurances. Even with zero dollar deductible collision its pretty inexpensive. Good luck.
Its at the shop I selected to do the repairs now and her ins co is going to pay. It was 1700.00 I just have to wait until Friday to get it back. They said they are just going to get a whole new bumper and paint it. Well not a new one I guess.

I tried to get collector car insurance but either the 84 Corvette or the 78 Pinto have to do my duties and neither one is new enough to qualify as a daily driver in their opinion.

So the Pinto is being pressed into service I dont care for rental cars.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:35 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Thanks for the up fdate. You done good. Glad it worked out ok for you.
The following users liked this post:
ToniJ1960 (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 09:45 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

What State are you in? I haven't read all of the responses here but this is what I know. Act like a pushover and you will get NOTHING,act accordingly and you will get what is due. In Ca get 2 estimates,their insurance chooses the lowest one. Every single day people get screwed by insurance companies because they don't stand up to them. Recently one of my cars got hit. I get the two estimates and meet the at faults INS company's. The guy start off by saying they won't use any new parts on an older car. Once the he guy is finished with his -sales pitch- I tell him,you have the estimates,make the check out in my name,if I don't have a check within 7 days I'll be intouch with the State Board Of Insurance to file a complaint. I had my check within 7 days for the full amount of the damage. My point being be firm,know your rights and don't let up on having your car made whole. Feel free to send me a message if you need some advice. While I don't like having a car damaged I love butting heads with the insurance companies. Why is it always the same run around when it comes to this BS.

Quick Reply: 1984 hit today