C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Rear Hatch Window Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 10:26 AM
rick123
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Hatch Window Question

I recently purchased a 1994 coupe. The previous owner had installed a custom "speedster" type rear lid on the car. I'd like to replace this rear lid with the original rear window hatch (which was included with the purchase).

The issue I have is the rear window hatch doesn't have any of the parts needed for the installation (like the struts, strut brackets, etc.).

I think some of the hardware on the current custom lid can be reinstalled on the original window but I don't have the strut brackets (since they aren't on the lid).

I've checked with Eckler's and the other part suppliers but they don't seem to sell the strut brackets (the ones that go on the window). Any ideas on where I can find them?

Thanks
Old 01-25-2017, 10:46 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by rick123

I've checked with Eckler's and the other part suppliers but they don't seem to sell the strut brackets (the ones that go on the window). Any ideas on where I can find them?

Thanks
Your glass just has empty holes now? You have just holes at how many locations? There should be LH & RH @ the strut mount and 2 more at the rear where the striker is attached.

It would likely be least expensive if you found someone parting a car OR contact a JY or "used Corvette parts recycler". There are many! You might try contacting eBay seller "redneck43" and ask.

Where are you located?

You need multiple pieces, the bracket each side, the nut(outside), maybe 2 grommets and the screw from the inside out to hold it to the glass. Similar attachment at the striker if it's missing.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-25-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:05 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Any C4 coupe will work. Try to find someone in your area. The cheapest I've found for the struts is RockAuto.com - buy them new. There should be a metal piece attached to the top of the glass with the hinges (not sure exactly all that you have). There is also plastic trim pieces around the tub and the latch assembly. You can call Max @ 480-964-0779. He will have all of the things you need.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:27 PM
rick123
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WVZR-1 and zr1fred, thanks for your comments. Very helpful.

Yes, my hatch window has five empty holes. I'll be contacting local JYs per your suggestion. I'm located in Dayton, OH.

I'm out of town this week and will be starting this project next week. I'll start with identifying which parts are on the current lid that can be reinstalled on the hatch window.

Then I'll know what I'll need from the JY or recycle suppliers. I'll take your advice to buy the struts new. Also, I'll make contact with the people your mentioned in your messages.

BTW, as a first-time Corvette owner this forum has been very helpful.

Thanks again!
Old 01-26-2017, 10:12 PM
shawn 84&92
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a complete hatch I was going to let go for $50. I don't think it would be worth much without those parts, but I could sell you those parts for your window and I think I have the strut brackets also, but no struts. Let me know if you are interested in those parts for $50.
Shawn
Old 01-28-2017, 06:40 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Check with Jason at Vette2Vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Hatch Window Question

Quick Reply: Rear Hatch Window Question