C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4, Looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 04:28 PM
USCGAHicks22
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4, Looking for suggestions

Hi, my name is Chris I am currently a student at the Coast Guard Academy, however I am slowly getting started building a dream of mine. Before I left for training this past summer I got my hands on my uncle's 92 C4, 88k bone stock. It has been a goal of mine for a while to build a nice C4 that would stand out and drive well on a track/roads. So I am looking for any suggestions or advice as to where to start. I'd really like to hear the car ASAP but I know that that may have to come at a later date. So I'd appreciate it if y'all would push some knowledge and tips my way. BTW doing this all with by myself with the watchful eye of my dad who can fix anything.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:27 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

You haven't said whether you've driven/ridden in the car yet. Best suggestion I could make would be to first get all the things fixed that need fixing (after all it is over 20 yrs old) and drive it a while and see if it meets your expectations or not. In addition to getting a little seat time in it, you'll have a chance to see what you like and what you don't. Once in that position then decide what you'd like to do with the car plus you'll have more time to see and read what others have done to similar cars.

My 2 cents. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
USCGAHicks22 (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 06:58 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Congratulations. I understand that is a great school you are in.
Take some time and read the stickies in the upper part of this forum. This will give you and your dad a lot of information about the car.
I always advise to have a previous owner of a C4 of that era look the car over with you (and Dad). They can look the car over and tell you what it might need.
I have a Coastie friend who is stationed in Key West right now and is loving it!
Old 01-30-2017, 08:37 PM
USCGAHicks22
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
Congratulations. I understand that is a great school you are in.
Take some time and read the stickies in the upper part of this forum. This will give you and your dad a lot of information about the car.
I always advise to have a previous owner of a C4 of that era look the car over with you (and Dad). They can look the car over and tell you what it might need.
I have a Coastie friend who is stationed in Key West right now and is loving it!
Thank You. I replaced the coil and ICM over the winter as well as all the weatherstripping because we were given new weatherstripping from my uncle. The car runs fine and is a wonderful car, I have a loose O2 sensor that causes an intermittent check engine light but other than that the car is in perfect mechanical shape. My dad was a mechanic so hes a huge help to keeping things on the road and in good condition. Now my focus is shifting to starting to save up for upgrades and start accumulating parts for leave periods to start making it better. I want to aim to upgrade the brakes as well as exhaust and intake.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:08 PM
Natrlone93
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by USCGAHicks22
Thank You. I replaced the coil and ICM over the winter as well as all the weatherstripping because we were given new weatherstripping from my uncle. The car runs fine and is a wonderful car, I have a loose O2 sensor that causes an intermittent check engine light but other than that the car is in perfect mechanical shape. My dad was a mechanic so hes a huge help to keeping things on the road and in good condition. Now my focus is shifting to starting to save up for upgrades and start accumulating parts for leave periods to start making it better. I want to aim to upgrade the brakes as well as exhaust and intake.

Stock exhaust? If so I would start with new mufflers. Nothing like a corvette that sounds like it should. Of course you can upgrade entire exhaust as funds allow. I put some magnaflows on my last C4 and it sounded perfect. Just listen to sound clips sites offer to decide the sound you like.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:19 PM
CGretired
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Cadet. I bought my 91 last year on Coast Guard Day. Enjoy the car as is for a while then decide what you want to do to enhance its abilities. I love mine as is.

BTW, when you graduate and head to your first assignment, LISTEN to your Chief. He won't steer you wrong.

QMC retired
USCGAHicks22 (02-02-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 03:44 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Buy some headers. Buy them b4 wheels unless you get a great deal on them. Do NOT floor the gas pedal going around a corner. Wave at other Vette drivers,, its the law in every state ( or should be)
Old 01-31-2017, 03:50 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Congrats! How about some pictures?
Old 02-02-2017, 02:41 PM
0Magna_Flow
Former Vendor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Congratulations on the new ride, Chris! When taking ownership of a new vehicle, we always recommend doing a full fluid flush to the quality synthetic brand of your choice. This can help with better engine protection, smoother shifting, and an overall more efficient drivetrain.

Once you move on to mods, the bolt-ons like headers, exhaust, and intake are always a good place to start. We offer both catback (16837) and an axleback (15623) systems that are designed to give your vette a much better sound without being intrusive in the cabin.

Last edited by Magna_Flow; 02-02-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:50 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I would do very little to the car for the first year you own it. Things will go wrong and you'll be busy with work. Keep it stock and just maintain it.

Leave the motor alone. I wouldn't do exhaust for a while. You get noise and very little performance gain. A lot of the aftermarket exhaust set up a drone as well.

My first step would be bushings and shocks. Don't use poly bushings.Use OEM bushings when ever possible.

btw- An interesting project might be to remove the front sway bar links and see if you can rotate the front sway bar by hand. A lot of them are bound up.

Stay away from modifications for a while. Just drive it and enjoy it.

How to check the C4 rear suspension.

Richard Newton
The following 4 users liked this post by rfn026:
carguy604 (02-03-2017), IHBD (02-05-2017), ottowaluver (02-05-2017), USCGAHicks22 (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 03:54 PM
carguy604
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

FWIW, Richard gave me the exact same advice years ago when I bought my C4 and I followed it. I'm glad I did. It gave me the time to become familiar with all aspects of my car "as is" and allowed me the opportunity to make one minor modification at a time, afterwards in order to set it up properly to my own liking. Changing a bunch of things simultaneously might work - but it might also screw you up and ruin your baseline. Richard's advice is good - especially for someone who's either new to Vettes &/or someone who's on a limited budget.
rfn026 (02-03-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 03:07 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

I was talking to Mark Hicks who is the General Manager at Chin Track Days. We were at the 48 Hours of Sebring.

Any ways. We were talking about people who modify there cars prior to ever running on the track. I usually suggest at least 6 events. Mark feels that you should do nothing until you have at least 20 events.

He says most people can't drive that well until they have about 20 events of experience. In the beginning the biggest performance gain will come from improving the driver, not the car.

Only when you can say "I'm driving this car as fast as it can go and I have developed my skills to the maximum" should you modify the car.

Trust me Mark has worked with thousands of drivers over the years. If he says 20 events then I believe him.

Richard Newton
Track Day Fun
Old 02-04-2017, 06:08 PM
Edv92c4
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
I would do very little to the car for the first year you own it. Things will go wrong and you'll be busy with work. Keep it stock and just maintain it.

Leave the motor alone. I wouldn't do exhaust for a while. You get noise and very little performance gain. A lot of the aftermarket exhaust set up a drone as well.

My first step would be bushings and shocks. Don't use poly bushings.Use OEM bushings when ever possible.

btw- An interesting project might be to remove the front sway bar links and see if you can rotate the front sway bar by hand. A lot of them are bound up.

Richard Newton
Richard, what is the main difference between poly and Oem bushings? And why stay away from the poly?
Old 02-04-2017, 07:38 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 392 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Thanks for your service, and congratulations on the C4!

Only when you can say "I'm driving this car as fast as it can go and I have developed my skills to the maximum" should you modify the car.
I agree with this. Find an HPDE event near you to get started.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:55 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

The idea was that the polyurethane bushings would be stiffer and enable the handling to be more predictable i.e. better.

OEM bushings are rubber but really well engineered.

I've had problems with the polyurethane bushings breaking up on my car. The ploy simply didn't hold up.

Another problem is that not all polyurethane is the same. I actually check the bushings I had in the shop with a durometer.

The problem is that not all of the C4 bushings are available. That leaves us with no choice. We have to use polyurethane. I've had good luck with the yellow bushings from Energy Suspension.

Richard Newton
Old 02-04-2017, 08:31 PM
Edv92c4
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

The idea was that the polyurethane bushings would be stiffer and enable the handling to be more predictable i.e. better.

OEM bushings are rubber but really well engineered.

I've had problems with the polyurethane bushings breaking up on my car. The ploy simply didn't hold up.

Another problem is that not all polyurethane is the same. I actually check the bushings I had in the shop with a durometer.

The problem is that not all of the C4 bushings are available. That leaves us with no choice. We have to use polyurethane. I've had good luck with the yellow bushings from Energy Suspension.

Richard Newton
Hmmm...very interesting...thanks,
Old 02-05-2017, 08:04 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Richard Newton
Old 02-09-2017, 02:24 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Oversteer is fun.

If your Corvette doesn't oversteer on exit you need more power. A loose car is a whole lot of funto drive. Think pucker factor.

btw - They all understeer on entry That's something we just live with.

When you get really good you can add an adjustable rear sway bar.

Richard Newton

Get notified of new replies

To C4, Looking for suggestions

Quick Reply: C4, Looking for suggestions