C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1985 Bose radio question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 03:45 PM
Local2Ed
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1985 Bose radio question.

The Bose radio in my 1985 cuts on and off. When it cuts out, that is, loose the station, the stereo light turns off and the clock acts like the power was turned off and all I here is static. When the stations start to work again the clock is off time but the radio works fine.

It does not do this to coincide with hitting a bump, not all the time at least. I've tried to force it to happen by hitting the dash, radio, etc. to simulate hitting a bump but can never get it to happen.

This happens at random for various lenght of times and then it will work normally for long time and then do it again.

I can find no pattern to it.

I searched but could not find the symptoms I've described.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:17 PM
Bwbob
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its an old radio built with many discrete components. Over time and thanks to a fairly stiff suspension the solder joints inside can work loose and cause this. Plus some items such as capacitors actually degrade and fail. That said it could still be a corroded connection in the harness that plugs into the back of the radio or even a faulty fuse/holder. I am just guessing here but since you dont mention if any other dash items "blink" its probably not a harness issue. There are places that still repair these units, or you end up making an aftermarket one fit.

Quick Reply: 1985 Bose radio question.