C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 09:37 PM
George45
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Weatherstripping

Purchased weather stripping for our 1990 C4 ZR1. Purchased the complete kit though some was not really shot. Watched the Internet videos and the one from Willcox on their web site as it was their product I purchased.test fit the product in the squeaky clean channels and all seemed to be OK. The fit across the top of the B pillar was extremely tight. The sides of the B pillar were installed with absolutely no streatch and allowed to dry. The top piece was installed the next day. Ran the windows up and found they barely touch at the bottom on the passengers side and leave a gap on the drivers side. Then test fit and installed the strip on the windshield. That aggrivated the contact on the glass on the B pillar. It further opened the gap. I then compared the fit to our 91 ZR1 it still has the original product installed. The original product is a solid piece of closed cell foam and the Willcox product is a thin walled hollow product. The original nearly hides the track as it goes up the pillar. The Willcox product fully exposes the track. We are talking about 3/16 of an inch difference in installed height from the original product. Called their parts department and was given their support email. I received what seems an automated reply and was told to post it here as a new thread. An that this would generate helpful information. So here goes. I also looked at other product from another supplier. They offer 3 types of product. This product would be the lowest on the totem pole at a price higher that the other site original product. The product now on there would seem prone to a snag and tearing and be more useless than what is is. The doors and windows are adjusted properly and there is no possible way I can see to take up the huge gap. I an not able to post pictures but can email them to anyone wanting to see the problem. I did send them all to Willcox.

George
Old 03-01-2017, 11:52 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by George45
Purchased weather stripping for our 1990 C4 ZR1. Purchased the complete kit though some was not really shot. Watched the Internet videos and the one from Willcox on their web site as it was their product I purchased.test fit the product in the squeaky clean channels and all seemed to be OK. The fit across the top of the B pillar was extremely tight. The sides of the B pillar were installed with absolutely no streatch and allowed to dry. The top piece was installed the next day. Ran the windows up and found they barely touch at the bottom on the passengers side and leave a gap on the drivers side. Then test fit and installed the strip on the windshield. That aggrivated the contact on the glass on the B pillar. It further opened the gap. I then compared the fit to our 91 ZR1 it still has the original product installed. The original product is a solid piece of closed cell foam and the Willcox product is a thin walled hollow product. The original nearly hides the track as it goes up the pillar. The Willcox product fully exposes the track. We are talking about 3/16 of an inch difference in installed height from the original product. Called their parts department and was given their support email. I received what seems an automated reply and was told to post it here as a new thread. An that this would generate helpful information. So here goes. I also looked at other product from another supplier. They offer 3 types of product. This product would be the lowest on the totem pole at a price higher that the other site original product. The product now on there would seem prone to a snag and tearing and be more useless than what is is. The doors and windows are adjusted properly and there is no possible way I can see to take up the huge gap. I an not able to post pictures but can email them to anyone wanting to see the problem. I did send them all to Willcox.

George
Hi
Yeah I have used willcox in the past however when someone on the forum had troubles with their weatherstrips, I decided to try the corvette central weatherstrips they have a latex coating like original GM.
Not a perfect fit harder to close doors but it got better after a few months, had to adjust the B pillar weatherstrip channels and side windows.

You could go all out and buy original $$$ GM weatherstrips, I just hate having to make adjustments from factory to make these after market ones fit correctly............

The weatherstrip situation and poor in traffic a/c performance makes me hate the car in summer and winter.....
The following users liked this post:
George45 (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 02:51 AM
Ratboy
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts

I think I've posted this before. I went through 3 different installs of weatherstripping on my '89. The first time required re-adjusting the windows every which way and using bits and pieces of a few sizes of Home Depot weatherstrip to close up the gaps you describe. After about 40hrs of work, I finally got it to pass the Florida rain storm test with no leaks. That lasted about 2 years until I moved to NY and the temps dropped. Then it started freezing and sticking the doors shut. After a couple of times having to pry open the doors, it tore off in a few places. I ordered the same kit figuring I had already done the hard work. That one dripped when it rained no matter what I did. Just couldn't get the seem on the roof panel to close up. Drove me nuts! So then I went for the top shelf latex stuff, which was much better made, thicker, softer and not porous like the cheaper stuff. Figured I had it licked. When that started dripping, I sold the car. I loved that '89, but those drips made me crazy. Plus the car always smelled like mildew. Bottom line, I dont think there is any aftermarket weatherstripping that fits or seals as good as the oem. If I remember correctly, OEM, if I could have found all the pieces, would have been around $1200, but I'm pretty sure you cant get a complete set from GM anymore. One tip I will pass on is I found some windshield sealer at the autoparts store that worked pretty good. It comes in a flat coil and is kinda like tar, but is workable like silly putty. That sealed and stuck pretty good, but it wasn't permanent like weatherstrip cement. I used it under the weatherstrip in a few places to fill in the gaps. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
George45 (03-02-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 01:22 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 400 Likes on 327 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Ratboy
Bottom line, I dont think there is any aftermarket weatherstripping that fits or seals as good as the oem. If I remember correctly, OEM, if I could have found all the pieces, would have been around $1200, but I'm pretty sure you cant get a complete set from GM anymore.
In the summer of 2015, I had my DS door replaced. It was done at a local bodyshop owned/operated by McCarthy Chevrolet. As such, factory (OEM) parts should have been used.

The Door WS is significantly "fatter" compared to the PS weatherstrip. My passenger door shuts, seals, and works correctly. The new WS from Chevrolet does not. It's been over 18 months since installation and the door rubber has not "settled in". I would call (at least this particular piece) not worth buying. As such, it would be difficult for me to consider GM as a reliable source for Corvette WS. That doesn't surprise me as all other OEM parts for the C4 Corvette seem to have been discontinued long ago. Aftermarket and salvage are the only sources I even consider anymore.

Assuming Corvette Rubber still makes the same product as installed on my PS door (in 2007), I consider them good replacement for weatherstripping....with the possible exception of the A-pillar piece. I've had two of those and still have a mild drip when it rains. Fortunately, I've not had to deal with driving the car in bad weather -- so 100% sealing hasn't become an issue.

Doors that close well ARE an issue for me. Maybe I should post comparison pictures of GM vs CR door seals so people can see what I'm talking about. It may be that the GM supplier for door seals is crap? Maybe even for the whole car?

I agree they USED to make the best stuff -- though at highway robbery prices. Big surprise, EVERYTHING at dealerships is highway robbery.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:25 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Sadly the C4 weatherstipping has got to be one of the worst designs I have even seen.

So far the stuff I got from Wilcox has been good.

Door, roof, and windshield trim went on fine and seal okay, but I still need to do the a-pillar which I'm worried isn't going to go well...original weather stripping is okay, but starting to show it's age
Old 03-30-2017, 02:35 PM
jdlclam
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

I just replaced A pillar on my 94 last weekend using the EPDM stuff from Eckler's. It went on very nicely once I completey cleared the track, and it seals perfectly around the windows. Used the 3M adhesive and the Dynatex silicon compound.

Like you, I found the Wilcox video very helpful, although I used a spoon handle to tuck it all in.

The true test will come when I install the brand new roof panel, but early indications are very positive.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:36 PM
jdlclam
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

I just replaced A pillar on my 94 last weekend using the EPDM stuff from Eckler's. It went on very nicely once I completey cleared the track, and it seals perfectly around the windows. Used the 3M adhesive and the Dynatex silicon compound.

Like you, I found the Wilcox video very helpful, although I used a spoon handle to tuck it all in.

The true test will come when I install the brand new roof panel, but early indications are very positive.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:15 PM
George45
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The cleaner the tracks the better. I made a little tool to get down I to the little recessed area the molding goes into. Found the 3M adhesive remover to be my best friend on this for really getting all the hard stuff out.just finishing up on the roof panel. Repainting some of the black trim and cleaning g up the trim around the edges. The roof was a little shaky looking so am buffing it out. Then install the Two side strips. Have already test fit them.

Get notified of new replies

To Weatherstripping

Quick Reply: Weatherstripping