C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Antifreeze Smell

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 08:20 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Once you get the car up to temp, park it over some newspapers held down by rocks, whatever. That will quickly show if there is the smallest drip.

Originally Posted by RUU
Original rad? It's not a matter of "if" the plastic side tanks fail but "when".
It is a roll of the dice. Some will last a long time milewise, but all are facing the time clock.

On our '96 the radiator is leaking. 13,800 miles on the car. I could always smell the faintest odor of antifreeze after driving, but never saw where it was leaking from until it say in the garage all winter. Sitting in the same place day after day and nowhere for the tiny little drip to go, it became apparent where the leak was.

Luckily I had made up my mind and bought a DeWitt radiator when they were on sale.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:00 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Might take a closer look at the cap and it's mating surface. I you got a replacement cap that could be it. Get a real cap others have made the same mistake. Check your overflow hose to they get old and cracked and a easy fix
I think this is what antfarmer is referring to:

AC Delco Cap

Motorad Cap

I had to buy the motorad in a pinch when the OEM was torn. Then ordered the correct one. Note the difference in the size of the gasket and the tabs
Old 03-23-2017, 12:34 PM
GUYS C 4
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Ok now where did you get the cap? No sign of leak? Then what is that smell? Did you run the gas check for a head gasket?
The cap is a GM Repro from Corvette Central. If has been tested and operates as it is supposed to,at 15psi. The smell comes from the top of the radiator on the passenger side and only smells after the car reaches the full operating temp of 228. I have not tested the head gaskets because it does not smell on the engine at all. The exposed area of the gaskets is still dry. I am beginning to think it is the tank seal. That the expansion from the heat may be just enough to let air vent but not liquid, as there is no stain or wetness. I heard there is a TSB on re-crimping the tank fastening tabs. I will try to find it. they show the tool in the FSM. If not I will pull the radiator and bring it in for a reseal or if it is not cost effective replace it with an all aluminum unit.

Quick Reply: Antifreeze Smell