C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1990 Convertible weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 10:38 AM
jwardg
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Convertible weatherstripping

The weatherstripping on my 90 convertible is dry, brittle and in pretty bad shape. I think its the original stuff. So decided to take on a weekend project of replacing all the weatherstripping on my 90 convertible. Im starting with the top.

The long rubber strip under the plastic glass that seals the bottom of the roof to the rear of the car seems to be the most challenging. Has anyone taken on this task?

Does anyone know what can be used to preserve/protect the new weatherstripping from the elements once its been installed?

Thanks for any tips or guidance.

jwardg
Old 04-01-2017, 04:35 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

My '90 Vert has all its original weatherstripping. All of it is in good shape except the rear side window opening. It has a vertical split about 6" long which opens when the door is closed and the glass pressing against it.

I'm planning on filling the split with black RTV or some other soft self curing material. Another thought was to lay an adhesive like Crazy Glue with the split open then let the window down and press together.

I've always used Armoral on all the rubber which seems to preserve and keep it soft.

Good luck with your endeavour. From what I've read on the forum it can be a challenge.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:41 PM
steve1657
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Old rubber, it happens to all of us at some time. I have used clear silicone to repair a tear in the same rear passenger side WS. Open it up, apply and wipe off any excess.

I believe the recommended lubricant is dielectric grease. Smear it on, let it sit and wipe off any excess.

Be safe, go fast !

Last edited by steve1657; 04-01-2017 at 05:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1990 Convertible weatherstripping

Quick Reply: 1990 Convertible weatherstripping