Question about seat cushion install

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 05:54 PM
cormorant71
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Question about seat cushion install

Hi,

I bought a new leather on foam set of cushions for my '89. I know how to remove the old cushions and I know how to install the bottoms.

But the tops look tough to get the clips back in place. Any tips? Is there a tool sold that helps or just a shop tool that helps??

Thanks as always,

Chris
Old 04-07-2017, 09:46 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

They are a PITA. I bent my clips out a little to make it easier to get the tabs under. Still took some cussing and a couple beers :-)
Old 04-07-2017, 11:09 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Just cut a V in a old flathead screwdriver. Look on youtube they have a video.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 04-07-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:32 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Yes to bend the clips out and the frame latches also. Install one side and push the other side in hard the same direction so when you release the top cushion it will fall in the other clip. It is not easy.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:28 AM
cormorant71
Racer

Good Morning and thanks for the tips. I had thought about bending the clips a little...

This will be today's project, I will take some pictures and let you all know.

Thanks again!

C
Old 04-08-2017, 01:13 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

I hooked the outside clip and didn't bother with the inside one. It stays in place nicely in the plastic shell and doesn't move around in the seatback. I put the seat bottom in place and didn't fasten the wire clip. That also stays in place.

I did this so I can switch the passenger and drivers side every year or so to even out the wear. Currently has 52K on the clock and looks great.

S5000345
Old 04-08-2017, 03:47 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 116 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by mickey5
I put the seat bottom in place and didn't fasten the wire clip. That also stays in place.

S5000345
I would be concerned about the seat bottom sliding forward in the event of a panic stop. Why not just flip up the clip? Use a small pry tool if need be.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:05 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 92ragtop
Why not just flip up the clip? Use a small pry tool if need be.
In my younger days I tied a piece of cord to the clip and just pulled it forward but my hands will not cooperate. I considered leveraging it but would have to push back against the leather cushion as a fulcrum and don't want to damage it. Please advise if you can suggest something.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:00 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mickey5
In my younger days I tied a piece of cord to the clip and just pulled it forward but my hands will not cooperate. I considered leveraging it but would have to push back against the leather cushion as a fulcrum and don't want to damage it. Please advise if you can suggest something.
Same here. I tied a piece of good string so I could pull the clip down so I don't have to use a screw driver. But, new foam bottoms are difficult to clip without using a small screw driver. Been there, just recently.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:41 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

I squeezed the back cushion toward the center of the cushion and was able to get the cords in the clips. Basically you squeeze the cushion into a U shape.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:38 AM
cormorant71
Racer

Thanks to everyone I got my new seats in! The biggest help was taking an old flathead screwdriver and cutting a notch in it. I have some pictures and the lessons I learned, hopefully this will help someone in the future.

My old cushions and seats came out pretty easy and it took me about 2 hours total to get one side done and reinstalled. First thing I noticed is that because of the amount of force you need to get those darn clips in the workbench you use should be against a solid backing or it will just slide away from you.

When I got my new seats the metal bars were covered in foam so I used utility knife to clean out the foam so I would have a nice area to get hooked on. Then I made the “screwdriver tool” I took picture, but it has about a ¼” opening and a depth of about 1/8” for my seats I could have made the width just a touch bigger. Also I used a big thick screwdriver, a thin one would have bent or broken under the amount of force needed to maneuver the clips into place. As a comparison I put up a picture next to a trim tool, that notch it way too big. The metal bar in the seat cushions bottoms out in the notch and you can not get it under the clips.

This part I learned through trial and error. At first I bent the clips up a bit. But after getting one side in and going to wrestle the other side in the first side would pop out! So I bent the clips back to the original shape and used a small vice grip to bend up just ONE CORNER on the clip. Huge difference! Using the screwdriver tool on the side of the clip I bent, the bar slid under and stayed in place without too much cussing .

Through my trial and error I also learned that attaching the lower part of the cushion (one side then the other) then moving to the top is much easier than doing one side (top and bottom) then the other.

One final note on the seat installation: I noticed that the attachment bars were not symmetrical with the centerline of the seat cushion. I am not sure if this is purposeful. However attaching the side that is outboard (on my cushions it was the left side (driver side window passenger side console)) first made the job much easier as it allowed the stiffness of the cushion to push the bar under the clip on the second side. So once it was under the bent up edge it went in pretty smoothly.

Not to highjack my own post, but I wanted to add one more experience I had. A few days ago I was reading the posts and read about the parking brake light not coming on. It was a good thread with a lot of helpful advice. My light did not come on either, so while the seat was out I decided to take the cover off the brake handle and take a look. The wire was disconnected, but it still didn’t work. So I cleaned the parts (metal tab and funny looking cam thingy) with some sandpaper and WD-40 and success!

I Can’t say enough about all the help on this forum, I am also a member of the Silverado and Malibu forums and this is by far the best!

Chris
Name:  vette 1.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  591.3 KB

Name:  vette 2.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  588.3 KB

Name:  vette 3.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  825.5 KB

Name:  vette 4.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  409.6 KB
Old 04-09-2017, 12:26 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,499 Likes on 3,586 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Chris new seats look good, enjoy the warm weather months.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:24 PM
rgauchey
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cormorant71
Hi,

I bought a new leather on foam set of cushions for my '89. I know how to remove the old cushions and I know how to install the bottoms.

But the tops look tough to get the clips back in place. Any tips? Is there a tool sold that helps or just a shop tool that helps??

Thanks as always,

Chris
I have done the same on my '90. But, I can't reattach the wire retainer at the front bottom of the seat cushion. How did you do it?
Old 05-19-2017, 09:45 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Excellent job of retiring those old covers with new leather and foam.
Can you feel a difference when you sit in them vs. your old ones? After I did the new leather/foam swap I find I need to adjust the electric seats lower than it use too plus the seats fill nice and tight.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:23 PM
cormorant71
Racer

Originally Posted by rgauchey
I have done the same on my '90. But, I can't reattach the wire retainer at the front bottom of the seat cushion. How did you do it?
Hi,

Sorry for the late response, I had a very busy weekend with my daughters birthday...

Here is how I did it. on the drivers side i pressed down on the front of the seat cushion with my right hand hard. then i reached under and pulled the wire down and front. when you let the wire go it will snap in place over the plastic.

I hope that helps

C
Old 05-22-2017, 12:25 PM
cormorant71
Racer

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
Excellent job of retiring those old covers with new leather and foam.
Can you feel a difference when you sit in them vs. your old ones? After I did the new leather/foam swap I find I need to adjust the electric seats lower than it use too plus the seats fill nice and tight.
Hi

I can totally feel the difference in the new seats. They are much firmer and I do sit higher. My seats are no power so I can not lower them. The side bolsters are the biggest difference, they really support and hold me in place.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about seat cushion install

Quick Reply: Question about seat cushion install