C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Looking to by this 91 C4 veteran advice needed & link included

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 11:31 PM
vanimal
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking to by this 91 C4 veteran advice needed & link included

Firstly i am new here. My daily driver is a 2010 Audi S5 with the 4.2 V8, really nice car.But I have always have a special place for the C4 Corvette. Best friend of mine parents had a black 1996, 6 speed with the LT4 motor. Once we were old enough to drive, we would always go out in it me & him. I have always had a soft spot for the 91-96 body.

Now to the good stuff, i went to look at the car a few hours ago. To be honest for the price i expected to be let down. However to at least a noob corvette guy, car actually seemed to be rather solid, especially the paint, interior, wheels etc. I wasn't sure i would be fond of the yellow, but in person i liked it. Not to mention its a much easier color to upkeep compared to black.

It has 97k original miles, however the car hasn't been inspected since 2011. However he said if i were to buy it he assured that it would be inspected via his friends shop. Motor seemed to be clean, started right up no odd smells of burning oil and the trans fluid looked to be clean. I went for a quick test ride with him. Car shifted smooth and seemed to be planted with the typical stiff and interior rattles in a older vette. Granted i am used to my daily driver which is a refined German vehicle. Leather in the interior was in pretty good shape, no rips etc. Could use a detail.

The Problems:

-Radio is lit up but won't work, i don't believe the power antenna worked either. Didn't see a time displayed either, it was just illuminated.

-AC actually worked HOWEVER i could not check the heat because i could not get the climate temp to go over 56 on the climate control. Not sure if i am a idiot or something is buggy.

-Needs new tires very soon

-Could use some new weather stripping on the outside door belt lines. Rubber around the windshield seemed OK, could use a replacing in the future i am sure.

Other than that, the paint was in great condition as it seems it was garage kept the majority of its life. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice so i could go back and give it a second look and tally up what i will have to put into the car & perhaps use as a bargain chip.But No check engine light, oil pressure seemed to be good, car sounded fairly solid.

As for price, he said he had a few people look at it and low ball the hell out of him. I asked if he had any wiggle room and was up front letting him know ill have to put some money into it. He "said" he would come down to $4200, which probably means $4000 cash. Basically what i am looking to do with the car is have it as a spare vehicle to just cruise around town in in spring/summer & enjoy driving it not having it as a garage queen.

Here's the link, what do you veterans think?

https://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/6066813219.html

Last edited by vanimal; 04-24-2017 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:41 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Not a bad looking car for the price. I can see it will need tires, and the paint on the gas door is faded. Plus the weather stripping. Weird on the climate control not going above 56, not experienced that problem myself.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:47 PM
vanimal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
Not a bad looking car for the price. I can see it will need tires, and the paint on the gas door is faded. Plus the weather stripping. Weird on the climate control not going above 56, not experienced that problem myself.
Yea he mentioned something about how the car was parked in the garage and it had windows on top of the doors or something & it faded the gas tank etc.

As for the climate i don't know if it was me or what. I was actually surprised the AC worked. I had my fiance with me waiting in my car so time was slightly limited earlier. But he's only 5 mins away. Its surely worth a second trip, i just want to make sure i am on the money checking some things out before i pull the trigger. I searched youtube on how to get the codes for the climate by pressing a sequence of buttons.

The radio problem i google searched, but its fairly broad as it could be a few things it seems. Radio is good, but hearing the motor/exhaust is probably what i should only be worried about hearing lol. I have a Audi for radio, although hearing sports talk radio on the way to work would be nice.

Last edited by vanimal; 04-24-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:49 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Im guessing about 1500-1700 for the parts with the tires. Ive had 8 vettes and 5 were C4's, plus my son had a 95 that I worked on.... The climate control sounds like it needs replacement. I used to have to kind of tap real hard on the temp up & down buttons to get them to change... the control unit will need replacement if it was like the one in my sons car.

Last edited by 81c3; 04-24-2017 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:51 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

It would be best to just put an aftermarket radio in it anyway No clue what the radio problem would be, as I never had a stock radio in my C4s.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:53 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Originally Posted by 81c3
Im guessing about 1500-1700 for the parts with the tires. Ive had 8 vettes and 5 were C4's, plus my son had a 95 that I worked on.... The climate control sounds like it needs replacement. I used to have to kind of tap real hard on the temp up & down buttons to get them to change... the control unit will need replacement.
Not true at all. You take apart the unit, and clean the contact points with alcohol. Very easy to do.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:53 PM
vanimal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 81c3
Im guessing about 1500-1700 for the parts with the tires. Ive had 8 vettes and 5 were C4's, plus my son had a 95 that I worked on.... The climate control sounds like it needs replacement. I used to have to kind of tap real hard on the temp up & down buttons to get them to change... the control unit will need replacement.
That is about what i figured, actually guessed $2k. Would offering $3800 cash be insulting? Its right at that line if he said he'd come down to $4,200. I think if i mentioned the climate needs to be replaced and me having to figure out the radio with trial and error $4k would be a good meeting point.

Man it felt really cool riding in the thing after all these years, secretly i was saying to myself i WANT it!.

Last edited by vanimal; 04-24-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:05 AM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by vanimal
Firstly i am new here. My daily driver is a 2010 Audi S5 with the 4.2 V8, really nice car.But I have always have a special place for the C4 Corvette. Best friend of mine parents had a black 1996, 6 speed with the LT4 motor. Once we were old enough to drive, we would always go out in it me & him. I have always had a soft spot for the 91-96 body.

Now to the good stuff, i went to look at the car a few hours ago. To be honest for the price i expected to be let down. However to at least a noob corvette guy, car actually seemed to be rather solid, especially the paint, interior, wheels etc. I wasn't sure i would be fond of the yellow, but in person i liked it. Not to mention its a much easier color to upkeep compared to black.

It has 97k original miles, however the car hasn't been inspected since 2011. However he said if i were to buy it he assured that it would be inspected via his friends shop. Motor seemed to be clean, started right up no odd smells of burning oil and the trans fluid looked to be clean. I went for a quick test ride with him. Car shifted smooth and seemed to be planted with the typical stiff and interior rattles in a older vette. Granted i am used to my daily driver which is a refined German vehicle. Leather in the interior was in pretty good shape, no rips etc. Could use a detail.

The Problems:

-Radio is lit up but won't work, i don't believe the power antenna worked either. Didn't see a time displayed either, it was just illuminated.

-AC actually worked HOWEVER i could not check the heat because i could not get the climate temp to go over 56 on the climate control. Not sure if i am a idiot or something is buggy.

-Needs new tires very soon

-Could use some new weather stripping on the outside door belt lines. Rubber around the windshield seemed OK, could use a replacing in the future i am sure.

Other than that, the paint was in great condition as it seems it was garage kept the majority of its life. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice so i could go back and give it a second look and tally up what i will have to put into the car & perhaps use as a bargain chip.But No check engine light, oil pressure seemed to be good, car sounded fairly solid.

As for price, he said he had a few people look at it and low ball the hell out of him. I asked if he had any wiggle room and was up front letting him know ill have to put some money into it. He "said" he would come down to $4200, which probably means $4000 cash. Basically what i am looking to do with the car is have it as a spare vehicle to just cruise around town in in spring/summer & enjoy driving it not having it as a garage queen.

Here's the link, what do you veterans think?

https://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/6066813219.html
Not a big fan of the yellow...unless it's on a Caterpillar, but all in all thats not a bad looking car. Most folks here have certainly seen worse examples. Most likely the climate control can be fixed by just cleaning the contacts.....that said, getting the little beotch out of the console facia will take you longer than the repair to the control.

later, tiny
Old 04-25-2017, 12:09 AM
vanimal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1800Wing
Not a big fan of the yellow...unless it's on a Caterpillar, but all in all thats not a bad looking car. Most folks here have certainly seen worse examples. Most likely the climate control can be fixed by just cleaning the contacts.....that said, getting the little beotch out of the console facia will take you longer than the repair to the control.

later, tiny
I am with you, i prefer black. But at the same time that yellow will be a treat to take care of. Id imagine finding a black one with similar condition paint would cost more. It takes me a long time to wash my deep sea blue pearl Audi, dark colors are a pain but of course awesome when clean. . But for the price and seeing it in person i suddenly got more interested.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:18 AM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by vanimal
I am with you, i prefer black. But at the same time that yellow will be a treat to take care of. Id imagine finding a black one with similar condition paint would cost more. It takes me a long time to wash my deep sea blue pearl Audi, dark colors are a pain but of course awesome when clean. . But for the price and seeing it in person i suddenly got more interested.
Got a friend of mine that everything he has is black...his truck, his scooter and car. I take great delight in putting a big fat thumb print on his fender...makes him crazy.

later, tiny
Old 04-25-2017, 12:02 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
Not true at all. You take apart the unit, and clean the contact points with alcohol. Very easy to do.
meh... after going through the trouble of getting it out, replacing it with a nice pretty rebuilt unit (that's what I remember getting), seemed logical to me anyway...
Old 04-25-2017, 12:14 PM
Maverick1125
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have him get the car inspected before you buy it and not after. If you found all those problems in a short test drive you should take it to a mechanic and have them check it out. You can use what they find to help get the price down. There is a reason everyone low ***** him. They may have found things that you haven't found yet.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:15 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

There is a reason everyone low ***** him. They may have found things that you haven't found yet.
Not necessarily, there's a lot of flippers out there, probably 9 for every 10 lookers, most are just ********.

Seems like a very good deal. Make sure you drive the car several miles after its warmed up, and let it idle for 5 or 10 minutes afterward. If it starts to overheat, pass.

Last edited by zr1fred; 04-25-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:23 PM
vanimal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Maverick1125
Have him get the car inspected before you buy it and not after. If you found all those problems in a short test drive you should take it to a mechanic and have them check it out. You can use what they find to help get the price down. There is a reason everyone low ***** him. They may have found things that you haven't found yet.
yea I did tell him I'd want it inspected prior to me buying. I'd really try to get it for $3800, I guess I could go $4k.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:29 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

I didn't catch from the threads how handy you are with fixing things? This car would give me pause IF my only option was to take it to get fixed.

Because the car has been sitting (not inspected) since 2011, be ready for gremlins to pop up as things get pressurized and used for the first time in years.

Please flip and test EVERY electronic option and do-dad.

BTW.... don't get too hung up on the purchase price as a couple of hundred dollars will pale in comparison to any mid-tier repair.

Last edited by billschroeder5842; 04-25-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:36 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,956 Likes on 942 Posts

Hi - I've sent you a PM
Old 04-25-2017, 12:41 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by zr1fred
There is a reason everyone low ***** him. They may have found things that you haven't found yet.
Not necessarily, there's a lot of flippers out there, probably 9 for every 10 lookers, most are just ********.

Seems like a very good deal. Make sure you drive the car several miles after its warmed up, and let it idle for 5 or 10 minutes afterward. If it starts to overheat, pass.

400 less isnt insulting. 4k not a bad deal not great but if it seems ok you love it and its close why not
You need to spend more time in it let it get up to temp, idle a lot wiht the ac on see if it wants to get hot these are notorious for it.
Sounds like you know it will take a few thousand 2-3 to make it right assuming theres nothing else wrong.
Or pay a few k more up front and get a very very nice one your call.

Roger that!! Been trying to sell 2 vehicles for almost a year now responses are unreal
Just had a guy from CL offer me a used printer for my truck rather than $ LMAO what the hell....

Last edited by cv67; 04-25-2017 at 12:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to by this 91 C4 veteran advice needed & link included

Old 04-25-2017, 03:18 PM
Boccman85C4
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off, very nice looking C4 and congrats on even considering to get yourself into Vette.

Here are a few tips (some of which I wish I followed myself) prior to purchase:

1. Find out how long he has owned the car and how many owners (Carfax?)
2. Request any and all repair / maintenance receipts he has
3. Find a local mechanic near seller, pay him $50 to look over car
4. water pump/distributor been replaced? (if you're wondering why - google C4 Optispark)
5. Heat - You will hardly ever use it. Focus on making sure A/C works
6. Check to make sure headlights flip up/down properly
7. Try to start engine after it has sat and cooled
8. Let engine get up to temp and sit idle to see where it levels off and cooling fans engage
9. Cite all negatives aspects (Heat, Radio, Antenna, Tires, Lack of vehicle history, etc) right before you make offer

Best of luck to you and let the forum know how you make out!
Old 04-25-2017, 05:29 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

91s do not have the optispark. I would be more concerned with finding out if the injectors have been replaced.
That is not a bad price. As said before, have a mechanic look at it. If it checks out then buy it. You will learn SO much and have SO much fun as you wrench on it and drive it!
Old 04-25-2017, 05:42 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette

400 less isnt insulting. 4k not a bad deal not great but if it seems ok you love it and its close why not
You need to spend more time in it let it get up to temp, idle a lot wiht the ac on see if it wants to get hot these are notorious for it.
Sounds like you know it will take a few thousand 2-3 to make it right assuming theres nothing else wrong.
Or pay a few k more up front and get a very very nice one your call.

Roger that!! Been trying to sell 2 vehicles for almost a year now responses are unreal
Just had a guy from CL offer me a used printer for my truck rather than $ LMAO what the hell....
​​​​​​​LMFAO

Quick Reply: Looking to by this 91 C4 veteran advice needed & link included