water getting into interior

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 10:14 PM
SuperDave02
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default water getting into interior

If water is entereing cowl vent at circled area

and ending up inside the circeled area here, how would it be getting there? I see the square seal, and where the two pipes enter, I assume there would be seals around those pipes. Anyone one know what that material might be?

Also there is a gray matting up against the fire wall in front of footwell. how is this removed to see behind it. I can only feel behind it right now.
This water problem is pissing me off. and keeping me from moving onto other things to get this car on the road.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:42 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

from the cowl area forward of the windshield there should be three (?) soft rubber drain tubes; these become clogged;

not so obvious, but at the bottom of the a/c housing is a shorter, lager diameter drain tube; look at the passenger side, engine side of the firewall, this also becomes plugged

it's not so much an issue of how does the water get there as can the water drain out once its there and before it overflows into the interior
Old 04-28-2017, 07:57 AM
SuperDave02
Racer

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
from the cowl area forward of the windshield there should be three (?) soft rubber drain tubes; these become clogged;

not so obvious, but at the bottom of the a/c housing is a shorter, lager diameter drain tube; look at the passenger side, engine side of the firewall, this also becomes plugged

it's not so much an issue of how does the water get there as can the water drain out once its there and before it overflows into the interior
Ive cleared the drains. so im thinking one of the seals, either the square one or the ones around the two pipes from the core are bad. hoping that i can figure out how to remove the matting and pour water into cowl and see where it is coming from before i tear everything apart in hunt to figure this out.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:42 AM
Corvette40
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same problem. Drain tubes were clear yet I was still getting water on the passenger side carpet. Turned out to be the evaporator housing gasket was deteriorated and water was leaking through the screw holes that attach the housing to the firewall. Only happened when it rained hard. Had to remove the housing and reseal with RTV. Long and messy job and had to have system recharged afterward.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:55 AM
SuperDave02
Racer

Originally Posted by Corvette40
I had the same problem. Drain tubes were clear yet I was still getting water on the passenger side carpet. Turned out to be the evaporator housing gasket was deteriorated and water was leaking through the screw holes that attach the housing to the firewall. Only happened when it rained hard. Had to remove the housing and reseal with RTV. Long and messy job and had to have system recharged afterward.
thats what I was thinking. I dont think there is anything in the AC charge right now, so i will try to pull it all apart when I have time and reseal it.
Most likely its the seal on the inside, since i know the water is coming from inside the cowling.

Get notified of new replies

To water getting into interior

Quick Reply: water getting into interior