89 fx3 owners. feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 01:21 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Default 89 fx3 owners. feedback?

i really like the early atari/starwars dash and i want a six speed. that puts me at an 89 i believe.

i think thats what brandons beast got.

anyway, im researching options in that year and im curious about the fx3 suspension.

is this a good option or more of a hassle than its worth in the 89 year? like early version needed bugs worked out type thing?
Old 05-01-2017, 05:58 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Great article about the system:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/c4/fx3/
Old 05-01-2017, 07:32 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

loved the article Ron thank you!
Old 05-02-2017, 01:07 AM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,290 Likes on 872 Posts

The system when it works and the shocks are in good shape is pretty good. Especially for the time it was put into production. But age takes its toll on everything. The shocks degrade, the actuators can break the teeth off and cause issues. And people struggle troubleshooting if it is the shock or the actuator and spend money they don't need to.

My opinion, if it is an option on my car, I want it to work. That being said, I added it to a car. No complaints.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:45 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
i really like the early atari/starwars dash and i want a six speed. that puts me at an 89 i believe.

i think thats what brandons beast got.

anyway, im researching options in that year and im curious about the fx3 suspension.

is this a good option or more of a hassle than its worth in the 89 year? like early version needed bugs worked out type thing?
The Selective Ride Control (RPO FX3) did work very well but you need to remember that it was pretty new technology for the time. Bilstein engineered the FX3 system based on a system they had built for Ferrari. FX3 was part of the old Z51 suspension or the later Z07. FX3 could also be ordered as a standalone package but it came with the base springs.

You could retrofit FX3 into a car that did not come that way, but it will be a lot of work and you have to find a way to update the CCM (body computer) so it will work properly. The CCM also provides the error codes for the FX3 system. Then there is the wiring harness, the processor (fits behind the driver's seat in the compartment where the ABS stuff is located). Then you have to find the shocks and actuators. There are two versions of shocks based on the year of car.

I had read last year that Bilstein can no longer rebuild or repair the rear shocks as they are out of parts. New shocks are expensive as are new actuators. Do a search on "FX3" and you should be able to find sources for rebuilt actuators or new/used shocks.

It's been a long time ago , but a former CF member worked with Bilstein to build a custom valving setup called "Moracca" or something similar that was a big help for autocrossers and track guys. You sent your FX3 shocks to Bilstein in California asking to have them custom built to those specs.

I think there are a variety of excellent shocks, springs, and sway bars available for the C4 that it would be much cheaper to go that way and easier to install.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:26 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,290 Likes on 872 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
The Selective Ride Control (RPO FX3) did work very well but you need to remember that it was pretty new technology for the time. Bilstein engineered the FX3 system based on a system they had built for Ferrari. FX3 was part of the old Z51 suspension or the later Z07. FX3 could also be ordered as a standalone package but it came with the base springs.

You could retrofit FX3 into a car that did not come that way, but it will be a lot of work and you have to find a way to update the CCM (body computer) so it will work properly. The CCM also provides the error codes for the FX3 system. Then there is the wiring harness, the processor (fits behind the driver's seat in the compartment where the ABS stuff is located). Then you have to find the shocks and actuators. There are two versions of shocks based on the year of car.
So how did the 89 Ride control setup integrate with the CCM in 89, when the CCM did not appear until 1990?

The only tie in that is for the CCM is the speed input and that is a splice directly off the VSS line. The Ride control system is a completely independent system just like the ABS is. It requires no instruction or input from the CCM.

The CCM does not provide the error codes. The Ride Control module sends the error codes when you ground the correct pin on the ALDL.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:33 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

not sure 100% but i believe fx3 had porsche/bilstein roots not ferrari.

Get notified of new replies

To 89 fx3 owners. feedback?

Quick Reply: 89 fx3 owners. feedback?