Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Added another C4 to my....(ahem) "collection"

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 08:28 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

Looks much more modern with the headlights, what are those from? Looks like 90s Dodge Stratus?
Old 07-24-2018, 08:35 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Tom- Those headlights really tie the cart together.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:36 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Thanks!

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
The light needs to be amber, not the housing iirc.
Huh. I'm not sure how I could get the amber plastic lens out w/o ruining the assembly....but I'll look at it tonight.

Originally Posted by nsogiba
Looks much more modern with the headlights, what are those from? Looks like 90s Dodge Stratus?
Thanks. Excellent guess! The Stratus headlights are a bit taller and bulkier than these. These were the thinnest/smallest all-in-one housings that I was able to find at the yard I looked at. They're from a Chrysler Cirrus.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 02-06-2020 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:17 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Thanks!

Huh. I'm not sure how I could get the amber plastic lens out w/o ruining the assembly....but I'll look at it tonight.

Thanks. Excellent guess! They Stratus headlights are a bit taller and bulkier than these. These were the thinnest/smallest all-in-one housings that I was able to find at the yard I looked at. They're from a Chrysler Cirrus.
I noticed a depo stamp in the bottom of one of them. If you bake them in an oven at like 100-150 degrees the front lens should be able to be removed. They are sealed with a butyl rubber in the track generally and come apart easily once warmed. Look up projector retrofits, they actually explain the process. Only state that I know of that requires an amber corner marker-reflector is Delaware. A lot of headlights are available with clear cornners even... Just food for thought. You don't have to, I just think the amber looks out of place imo. It's your rig so do what you think.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:25 PM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Received 225 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
The light needs to be amber, not the housing iirc.
Opinions abound. I don't see any reason to care about the amber reflector.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:27 PM
Iexpedite
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Finally, when I bought the car, the PO went on and on about how much he looooooooooved his '89 Corvette and how he didn't want to sell it but knew that he couldn't fix it. For his claim of love...he sure didn't maintain it too well. Damn....how about an oil change now and then? It's going to take a lot of oil changes to clean that out. The sludge is about 1 cm deep...everywhere.

When I started dating my wife she owned an Oldsmobile with a 231 ci V6. The engines were known for their sludge building capabilities. In fact, she had the oil changed one day and I checked it upon her return. It was black and burnt smelling after the 5-minute drive from the shop. It blew a head gasket one day and a friend and I tore it down to make the repair. It had so much sludge we scraped it off with a putty knife. The sludge was between 3/8" and 1/2" thick in the valley between the cylinders. We knew the oil pan would be just as tragic but had no intention of pulling it. I performed an oil change after using engine flush and I was pulling chunks out of the oil drain hole. I did another flush/oil change a short time later and it was much cleaner. The third flush was almost unnecessary. If it worked on that motor it should easily cure what you have going on there.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:26 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Hey Tom I heard Seafoam works really well at cleaning out sludge
Old 07-25-2018, 11:44 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Ha ha ha ha!! Yep, I had that one coming! I actually joked w/a friend of mine yesterday; "How many gallons of Seafoam should I pour though this engine?" -I asked him. He laughed out loud.

Not that I'm going to use Seafoam....b/c I'm not, but THIS would be when one might use a product or additive; when there is an actual problem that needs addressing, and we have the right product to do that. I'm just going to use oil changes.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:47 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Ha ha ha ha!! Yep, I had that one coming! I actually joked w/a friend of mine yesterday; "How many gallons of Seafoam should I pour though this engine?" -I asked him. He laughed out loud.

Not that I'm going to use Seafoam....b/c I'm not, but THIS would be when one might use a product or additive; when there is an actual problem that needs addressing, and we have the right product to do that. I'm just going to use oil changes.
LOL!

Agreed! A few oil changes and a quality filter will do wonders for that. Valvoline Maxlife (semi/syn maroon bottle) might be a good choice for that L98. I use it in nearly everything, they love it over on BobIsTheOilGuy forum.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:12 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

: Right on. Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:03 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Besides, everyone knows marvel works better than seafoam anyway.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:34 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

FINALLY got the front harness and headlight wiring done. Damn that took a while. Well it took a day...but it took a while for me to patch together enough time segments to make one day's worth of work. Anyway, here are some random pics of various stages of playing with spaghetti....

Here I'm putting loom on the first headlight harness...

This is the entire "front" harness; fan wires, headlight hi/lo, turn signal, horn and parking light...all stuffed into that neat little 1/4" loom.

These are the completed headlight/corner light harnesses...

Finishing that was, of course, occasion for another..."test drive".

Old 08-14-2018, 11:45 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Another small, but meaningful milestone!

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 08-14-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:56 AM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

Wish you many miles of smiles in your new cart!
Old 08-15-2018, 06:55 AM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Received 225 Likes on 177 Posts

Huge milestone
Old 08-15-2018, 11:04 AM
jsmcol
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts

Can I make a suggestion? It looks like your battery is exposed in the front. You may want to put a piece of sheet metal there to keep something from being thrown up and puncturing your battery.

Keep going, the build has been sweet to follow!
Old 08-15-2018, 12:13 PM
Iexpedite
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

That's a relief. Something to put in the license plate holder was probably the mod that caused you the most concern.

Get notified of new replies

To Added another C4 to my....(ahem) "collection"

Old 08-19-2018, 07:56 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Thanks guys! Yes, it was a relief to get it "official" finally, even though in the end, it was no big deal. I "worried about **** that ain't worryin' about"!

jsmcol; I'll think about a battery protector, but the batter base is about even with the bottom of the floor pan. The exhaust runs right between it and the rear wall...so the likelihood of something getting up in there is pretty darn slim. Good spotting/thinking though!

BIG DAY TODAY!! Today was Park City Cars & Coffee. I'd sort of set today as a target for getting the reg/insurance/plate mounted and rear lighting done and driving it somewhere (to C&C). I wanted to take it to C&C and my boy really wanted to go in the Kart, too. By yesterday, I had everything done but the rear lights. I worked on that pretty late last night, but didn't finish. I got up early this AM and resumed work; I still had to finish fabricating one light mount, then build the rear harness -only 4 wires really, but still, you gotta get all the lengths right, solder and shrink wrap parts of it, loom it, bracket the loom, install connectors, etc. I was doing great, until about the moment we were supposed to be leaving for C&C. All I had left was about 8 minutes of work: cut the tail light pig tails (they came with a connector on both ends, one end I wasn't going to use) and solder/shrink wrap the pig tail/connector for the light, to the harness. Aaaaand I was a f'n DUMB *** and cut the wrong connector off the pig tail. I cut the f'n connector off the wires that plugs into the tail light! What an idiot. I swear....sometimes....

It was a connector like this one -the male/one on the right:

Of course, wanting "extra" wire, I'd cut ^that^ connector that I needed off the pigtail right at the connector, so I had nothing to work with. I can not tell you how f'n livid I was with myself. Man I was furious. How in the hell was I going to rectify this?? I wasn't. The day/goal was shot, by complete idiocy. Sometimes, it sucks being a dumbass.

I wanted to go to C&C....and I got us SO close. My son wanted to go...he was bummed. I took the two connectors that I needed -that I'd chopped the wires off down to ~1/8" stubs, and I got out my Dremel. I chopped off the rear 1/4" of the connector housing, which revealed more wire...about 1 cm. I braided that eeny teeny bit together with the harness, soldered then shrink wrapped it...3 wires on each side/connector, successfully. Plugged the two connectors into the tail lights, had my boy step on the brake pedal -we had brake lights. Parking lights? Boom, on they came too. HOT DIGGITY DOG. I threw all my **** on the work bench, hopped in the car and headed for PC C&C at about 10 AM (wanted to be there at 9, but it goes until about 11). Anyway, here are some pics of the tail light mounts that I built....

Old 08-19-2018, 08:08 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Anyway, on to C&C. It was fun. There were two noteworthy things about this:
1. The Kart is about 1000 times more interesting to people, than a nice '92 LT1 red Corvette. Why? I mean it's different but no one at Park City cars & coffee GAF about a '92 'Vette. But people were all over this thing, the whole time. Even when I was trying to leave people were asking questions and grouping around the car. So it was cool that people were interested in the car. There are a ton of things that you could pick apart and make fun of, on the thing...but I didn't overhear anyone saying much in that regard.

2. On my drive home, I drove right past a Summit County Sheriff sitting beside the road. I thought, "this will be an indicator as to whether or not I can drive this thing on the street or not!". The guy didn't even pull out. I just drove on by and everything was cool NICE. And I still need a windshield and mirrors. I think I have everything else covered.

OH....I almost forgot. Car ran flawlessly. Now that I've gotten it out on the road, I can see how it could use more power. By 4th gear, it goes from "amusement park ride" down to "fastish car".

Here are a few pics of the morning....

Driving there. It's weird...there is very little wind in your face. For some reason, the vast majority of the air goes up and over you.

^That would NEVER happen with my '92. No way, no how, not happening. Oh! the rest of the cars there were "meh". A Ford GT is worth mentioning. A really nice Factory Five Cobra, otherwise it was an onslaught of Porsches and BMW's and OMG are those Porsches annoying. They all have a ton of 'tude and they all have loud exhaust. Know what a 911 sounds like with PDK and a lound exahust? It ain't good. Braaaaaaa (shift). FART!...braaaaaaa, FART . The coolest car there today though??.....Hardcastle and McCormick came today with the Coyote!!!

Old 08-19-2018, 09:18 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Awesome man.

Quick Reply: Added another C4 to my....(ahem) "collection"